Moving from Cali to Amman.

Good day everyone.
I'm considering moving back to Jordan after 21 years living in the U.S. I have a great job here but an empty life for me my wife and my 4 boys. I don't need to work in Jordan. I'm an acct executive I can work from anywhere. I figured out that Dabouq is where we will live and IAA for a school. I still have some doubts from my past living in Jordan. How have things changed?  Any advice!!!!

How does the rest of the family feel about this?  What exactly are your doubts?

They're excited!!

So your wife and boys are excited about it.  I take it they have been to Jordan before then.  What are some of your worries though.  I didn't live in Jordan 21 years ago, so I can't really point out what changed in that time period.  If you can point out a few specific concerns, maybe some of us can shed some light on how things are now.

Some of the things that I'm worried about pertains to certain areas in Jordan  the town of Zarqa. I never really lived in Amman other than a few months here and there.  Traffic, safety, convenience of things around. Cost of things now. When I left Jordan's population was 5 million ppl. Now it's close to 8. Not really sure about my question oboist Amman. Maybe you can describe it from your prospective for me please.

Amman has recently been ranked as the 28th  most expensive city of the world and #1 in the Arabic world.
Unfortunately the wages are not increased so you can figure it out what it does to people.
Amman has around 1.6 million citizens and still growing. It has effects on traffic, buildings, spaces and prices. But it's relatively safe. Like every where else you need to take some precautions.

Your wife and sons are enthousiast about a possible move. Have they ever visit Jordan?
Did they stayed longer than a tourist will do?
If possible come to Jordan for a few months  (summer vacation? ) with your family and let them feel how it can be if you decide to move here on a more permanent base.

What do you mean with an empty life for wife and kids? How do you think that Jordan will solve that?

Also, the school fees for IAA run to over 18,000 USD per child per year.  They very by grade you can find the fee schedule here.  http://www.iaa.edu.jo/section/104#row-item-1

Amman is expensive.  You might be fine if you can keep your California based salary, but those school fees if you are set on that school is a killer.

Dabouq is a very nice area.  Traffic in amman is terrible. Availability of items is decent but at a high price if you want "western" items.  Safety I think is fine.  I never felt unsafe much as I never went out much alone, but at first the stares and cat-calls made me uncomfortable, but I learned to ignore them.

I personally felt very alone and empty life in Jordan.  The social life and availability of entertainment options are much different than the USA. Language barrier was also a big deal for me.  But, everyone is different.

Thank you both. I really appreciate it. I'm going to visit with the family soon then we will make a decision.

life here is very changed during the last 20 yeaars
Jordan developed since then
and the most difficult thing here that it become more expensive .