I`m moving, help me with information`s.

Hello all,

By middle of June, me, my husband and our son of 1 year, we`ll move to MAlta.

We got all our information's from internet, we are very happy and excited to move there, but we don`t know in which area to rent the apartment.

Our budget for apartment is 650-700 euros. We want a calm and nice area, to be able to take our son out to play with kids and also to have shops and restaurant around, where to spend our  afternoons.

Also how hard how for some of you to get a job or how hard you think will be for us (ps: we are ue citizens, with experience in GCC countries, we speak many languages and we are in the senior positions at work, HR Manager and Business developer)?

Thank you!

PS: any information will be highly appreciated!

Hi Bianca
I would advise you read through the many hours of past posts on this topic to help you guys!

(1) I'm assuming you all will come here first to check out areas ?

(2) "Nice, calm areas" depend on what works for you as a unit, work /travel ratio, North or South etc.

(3) Many of us that have decided to call Malta our home have had to either engage in a short term rental to explore and find out about banking, schools, shops, doctors, dentists etc as its so subjective as to what each of us needs to have a successful transition in a different country. As its been said before, letting agent websites do not keep up to date information on current properties ( a rare lovely few do tho!) but its trial and error so you must really come here first!
We started with getting a job first whilst we were still in our own country, then moved here on a short term 2 month contract of accommodation whilst we decided what sort of travel time we wanted to do every day and what areas were acceptable. We also visited these areas at all times, at night, early evening, morning and lunchtimes to check out any potential noise levels ( barking dogs, garages etc)
When we then identified the area we found a place to rent and met with the owners and viewed it a few times asking all sorts of questions and checked and triple checked everything they told us so we never accepted their opinions about the electricity billing, contract, neighbours until we had triple checked everything to be correct.
This has resulted in us being extremely happy, with a fantastic landlord that is honest and helpful, kindly neighbours that would go out of their way to help and a life contented generally by being in the best neighborhood for us as a family.
If you do enough research and have enough common sense then you too should have a swift transition!
Good luck
Debbie 😊

Thank you, for your help! Unfortunately we can`t come there in a visit first.
We decided to take it like a vacation for few days to discover everything and after to search and to do what we need, regarding renting and so on.

BiancaOkasha wrote:

Thank you, for your help! Unfortunately we can`t come there in a visit first.
We decided to take it like a vacation for few days to discover everything and after to search and to do what we need, regarding renting and so on.

Have you visited Malta before?  If not you really do need to come and visit before making your mind up.

Yes, i visited before, 3 days.

The only thing I can tell you is that if you come in June, be well prepared against the heat, and do things very early in the morning.

I would recommend you the north (Mellieha, St Pauls Bay), and if it isnt possible, then the far south (Marsaskala, Marsaxlokk).

MaltaCommando wrote:

The only thing I can tell you is that if you come in June, be well prepared against the heat, and do things very early in the morning.

I would recommend you the north (Mellieha, St Pauls Bay), and if it isnt possible, then the far south (Marsaskala, Marsaxlokk).

Coming from Qatar she is probably used to the heat!

MaltaCommando wrote:

Thanks alot, well noted  :top: ! Regarding the weather is not a problem from me, i`m coming from the GCC countries.. where we have 45 degrees with 80% humidity  :D

You will find it a bit cooler and probably more bearable.

GozoMo wrote:

You will find it a bit cooler and probably more bearable.

Exactly what i wanted.  :)

Hi Bianca,

Hope you are finding the forums useful and there are loads of posts and lots of information about moving to Malta for you to read. I will give you our experience...We moved here 1 month ago and I have 20+ years senior management experience etc and we had a budget of 550-700 for renting an apartment. We did do what people suggest and visit first and we came over twice to look at properties and areas,  as doing it remotely by internet and emails is not really possible here as what you see on the websites are NOT available and just there to bring you to the agents.

The later you leave it to come the more expensive the rental properties are. We live in st pauls area and it is a great place to be, but apartments are expensive and we pay 700 and were very lucky to get a place for that money and we got this property in January 2017 so before all the toursists and workers arrive. In June I guess you will find something in less tourist areas. But in St Pauls area will be expensive as the season has started. Already things are getting busy here and jobs are being filled quickly, parking a car is difficult etc.

Food at supermarkets and eating out are expensive and wages are much lower than the UK, but the island is beautiful at the moment as it is springtime. 

You are best to try and get work through the agents Konnekt etc for your kind of work and you can post your CV's online, however the work is not guaranteed and we have yet to find employment and for many roles Maltese language is required. There are not 100's of manager jobs like I was told. I had an interview with the agency in January and told 'You will find work easily'  over 3 months later not 1 interview or a suitable job. Accountancy jobs seem to be the main supply.

I hope this doesn't put you off,  but I advise you to come to Malta with your eyes open not with rose tinted glasses on!! The place is wonderful and people reasonably friendly, driving is crazy!! But accomodation is expensive, food expensive and wages are low.

I agree with a previous post about looking south of the Island for finding cheaper accomodation or Mosta or central towns so you can get a bus to the areas with work. St Julians, Sliema, Paceville, San Gwann all have the most work you are looking for, but accommodation there is the highest 900 euros and upwards for anything ok.

Davex  Good Luck!!

Living on Gozo the cost of food and eating out is no more expensive then U.K. The only problem at the moment is the low exchange rate, this time last year it wa 1.40 now about 1.15.

dhirst2901 wrote:

Hi Bianca,

Hope you are finding the forums useful and there are loads of posts and lots of information about moving to Malta for you to read. I will give you our experience...We moved here 1 month ago and I have 20+ years senior management experience etc and we had a budget of 550-700 for renting an apartment. We did do what people suggest and visit first and we came over twice to look at properties and areas,  as doing it remotely by internet and emails is not really possible here as what you see on the websites are NOT available and just there to bring you to the agents.

The later you leave it to come the more expensive the rental properties are. We live in st pauls area and it is a great place to be, but apartments are expensive and we pay 700 and were very lucky to get a place for that money and we got this property in January 2017 so before all the toursists and workers arrive. In June I guess you will find something in less tourist areas. But in St Pauls area will be expensive as the season has started. Already things are getting busy here and jobs are being filled quickly, parking a car is difficult etc.

Food at supermarkets and eating out are expensive and wages are much lower than the UK, but the island is beautiful at the moment as it is springtime. 

You are best to try and get work through the agents Konnekt etc for your kind of work and you can post your CV's online, however the work is not guaranteed and we have yet to find employment and for many roles Maltese language is required. There are not 100's of manager jobs like I was told. I had an interview with the agency in January and told 'You will find work easily'  over 3 months later not 1 interview or a suitable job. Accountancy jobs seem to be the main supply.

I hope this doesn't put you off,  but I advise you to come to Malta with your eyes open not with rose tinted glasses on!! The place is wonderful and people reasonably friendly, driving is crazy!! But accomodation is expensive, food expensive and wages are low.

I agree with a previous post about looking south of the Island for finding cheaper accomodation or Mosta or central towns so you can get a bus to the areas with work. St Julians, Sliema, Paceville, San Gwann all have the most work you are looking for, but accommodation there is the highest 900 euros and upwards for anything ok.

Davex  Good Luck!!

Hi Davex,

Thank you very much for your informations! Well noted!!

We are ok with the prices, just i hope to have good luck with the jobs!

Bianca I have sent you a message have a look at your inbox

David

mdillyd wrote:

Bianca I have sent you a message have a look at your inbox

David

I saw! Thanks David!

dhirst2901 wrote:

Hi Bianca,

Davex  Good Luck!!

@dhirst2901

Are you registered on Form H in order to avail of the much cheaper - (number of household occupants registered with ARMS Ltd.) - 'residential' water and electricity consumption tariffs?

In this regard, please see:  http://maltatenantsupport.weebly.com/bl … hree-rates