Outbound ticket/ throwaway ticket

Hi to all the Xpats out there, can someone advise me the best way to get an outbound ticket out of the Phillipines as im in Aus at present and may need to show a ticket at Phil customs? not that ive ever been asked for proof yet? but always the 1st time, i did find a website somewhere where you can purchase a cheap outbound $5.00 ticket but any thoughts out there would be appreciated!! i live permanently in Bohol so any money saved would be a good thing as its basically a throwaway ticket ?

5 dollar throw away ticket is a scam usually.  can make ur own itinerary with a printer. The 5 guy will take ur money but u wont hear from him.    That is what i found out and a few people i met found the same. good luck

There is a lot of stuff about this lately, I would advise (IMHO) not to use any of those options as the immigration is already aware of this possibility and does spot checks on those ticketing. "Where did you buy the ticket? How much did you pay? Do you have any proof of payment you can show?" And more questions like this. The last one of course is a killer question. I am not sure if one wants to get caught in an attempt to "circumvent" existing laws.
To the OP - If you live permanent in Bohol you should have a certain status such as 13a (married) which allows you to stay as long as you like. If you do not have this, i.E. Balikbayan or Tourist , you have to live and return from time to time anyway. Therefore a return ticket would be an "automatic" purchase, wouldn't it ?
And do not forget that the immigration does also checks on permanent Aliens and DO check for these documents, including your 5$ ticket.
Just as happened to an Alien where I live, who paid a hefty fine for having an expired ticket (and did not renew it) and that was a fully paid one. (but only valid 30 days, while he stayed already 60 days.) He paid the fine AND had to show a newly purchased onward ticket. Which was valid for one year so he was on the safe side now.

In my experience a throwaway is not required after you can show in your passport all the visa extensions you have done before. I have been coming and going now for about 5 years bought a throwaway the first couple of years but have not been asked for it since. The last comment I got was "you obviously know how to do visa extensions"

I have been travelling regularly to the Philippines for over 30 Years, and have never been asked at Immigration for an Onward Ticket. (Although i always had one).
Last year I flew on a One Way Ticket as our return date was unsure. The Airline. Cathay Pacific. Asked to see a Return or onward Ticket. Luckily for-warned by this web site, I had purchased a Throw away flight from Cebu-Singapore from  Air Asia. I think it cost 45 Euros. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to travel.

Actually the airlines themselves are obliged to ask at check In for the onward tickets, if they let the passengers go onboard without one, they pay a hefty fine (not 100% sure, but i think it was 50.000 US$) and the Philippine immigration is rather interested in collecting this fine than not allowing a person coming into the Philippines (The latter part I know for sure)
I was asked several times for an onward ticket on my flights, even at Singapore when I changed the flight and airline. There were angry passengers having been denied to board without the onward ticket and forced to buy them in Singapore on the stopover.
Lately I was asked during check in the followjng countries :
Germany, United Kingdom, Australia, French Polynesia and French New Caledonia, Sri Lanka, New Zealand.
Bit since I had my Icard with 13A status I could go on board without a return ticket, although in some occasions they had to look that up first...
At the Immigration in Manila or Cebu I was never asked because I had the I card, so I can not report if they really check or not.
But in the hindsight of the 2.5 Million peso Airline fine I am rather certain they will try to get that cash.

To make matters worse. If you intend to stay in a Country longer than 6 Months. Many Airlines
will not offer you a Return Ticket.

Rammers wrote:

To make matters worse. If you intend to stay in a Country longer than 6 Months. Many Airlines
will not offer you a Return Ticket.

365 day ticket is a regular IATA Ticket, although not the cheapest option. It is just problematic to get one OVER 365 days, as the validity is limited due to IATA regulation.
What one could do is to buy a ticket with "amendable return date option", although again- one years is the limit, but one can certainly work something out when already in the Country.i.E. refund and purchase new without loss of money (I did that once or twice)

Best thing to stay legal and not loose money on fake ticketing schemes is where you are just buy a one way low cost ticket from Manila to say Hong Kong. It's low cost in most cases and meets the letter of the law.

Regards

Rammers wrote:

The Airline. Cathay Pacific. Asked to see a Return or onward Ticket. Luckily for-warned by this web site, I had purchased a Throw away flight from Cebu-Singapore from  Air Asia. I think it cost 45 Euros. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to travel.

Yes, it is the airlines who ask for proof of onward passage, not Immigration. Immigration polices the airlines, I have heard the same about airlines having to pay fines for passengers traveling without proof they have plans and means to leave. I do the same. Ticket from Manila to Singapore. Cost about $35 US.
An onward ticket does not have to be a round trip ticket. Some airlines get confused. I had this issue with Delta airlines once. A traveler does not have to show they are coming back to the same place (RT), only that they are exiting the country going someplace.
I have never had the airlines review my visa extensions telling me they were suffice to mitigate the legal requirement. You might want to have a credit card and internet access should you arrive at the ticket counter and be required to have an onward ticket you do not have. I've done this before. Booked a cheap flight (again, Manila to Singapore) because I forgot the requirement.

Wayne

@Stranded Shipscook

Correct, Singapore always asks for the onward ticket.

Hello mikenmanila,

Thank you for your input but this thread is quite old.

You should browse the Philippines forum to check for any recent threads where you can be helpful by sharing information and tips.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team