How has your life changed in the USA

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to USA? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in the USA? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to USA has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

HI! The scale thing is kind of tricky. But I'd say it's a 5. My life has changed quite a lot. I'm from Germany and I've been living in California for almost nine years now. I had a work permit on a J-Visa, than had to give it up in order to change to the H1b/H4 and to apply for the green card. I was far from happy not being able to work for almost 4 years, now I have a green card and I am working part-time. I miss German and European culture and lifestyle and I miss being close to family and friends in Germany. Husband and kids have better adjusted to the life here than I have.  I have to say that our standard of living is probably much higher here than it would have been in Germany. Incomes in the Bay Area are just much higher than the average German salary, but so is the cost of living. We love the fact that you can be outside for most of the year and we do that. We live a very active and outdoorsy life here and I really appreciate that our kids grew up here, without having to wear a jacket most of the time. The climate is great and a big advantage. I can see that my kids have grown to very positive, friendly and happy girls and I think this is definitely influenced by the American attitude towards life. People are just generally positive and optimistic here. I could write much more, but I have to go.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : please recommend your blog in the blogs section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct