Canadian thinking of moving to Thailand HELP needed!!!

I am a Canadian and thinking of moving to Thailand for a simple and much less expensive life.  I am also in the process to make a dramatic change to my life style.  Any advise on finding places to live which is reasonable? How much roughly we need as expenses with comfortable living ?
Which areas in Bangkok are more desirable and to avoid? Or is there another city to consider?
Is there any Expat group for Canadian women out there?

Please advise. Planning to move there in September. Thank you

I am from Canada and live here full time.  6  years now.

Do not even consider it until you have spent 6 months to a year here.

And then visiting and living in a place are two very different things.

There are more bad things here than good.   I am here because I cannot afford to live on a Cdn. pension that will start in the fall,  in Canada.

I have known Thailand for more than 40 years and a lot of Expats are leaving.

Go to   thaivisaforum.com      for all free info on living and dying in Tland.

Moderated by Gavind 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal contact info on a public forum and promoting outside sources on the forum please.

Obviously by the questions you have you know nothing about Thailand.

One's man meat is another man's poison.

There is no perfect place or things in the world.

I can say all the bad about Thailand and also all the good about Thailand. Likewise for other countries too.

Everyone has their own preferences and choices so it can be wonderful for some but not good for you. I am sorry for you.

I came here in 1997 before the Asian Financial Crisis, thus tool all the knocks, falls etc

But I stand up and learn from the bends, knots etc to be better which no university in the world could teach me.

Life is great here and one can always adapt to enjoy life.

If Thailand is not for you then move to another country as there are many countries. Don't expect the best of both worlds as you are not the only one who wants it.

There are people who can run faster and hands grap more so you might get bread crumps. People will sure rush for good things especially free or cheap.

Be happy and enjoy life.

Rejoice, Good Advice.

rdhtrader wrote:

I am a Canadian and thinking of moving to Thailand for a simple and much less expensive life.  I am also in the process to make a dramatic change to my life style.  Any advise on finding places to live which is reasonable? How much roughly we need as expenses with comfortable living ?
Which areas in Bangkok are more desirable and to avoid? Or is there another city to consider?
Is there any Expat group for Canadian women out there?

Please advise. Planning to move there in September. Thank you

The first consideration is how you will remain here legally. So you need to research Thai Visa regulations and see if you can do it.

Secondly you need to come and live here for at least six months(tourist visa) in a non tourist situation. It's a bit of a reality check and if you use the time wisely you can travel around and check out different areas.

Thirdly read read read, good blogs like my own, that spell out what life is really like here. Incidentally it's great if you have the funds and qualify for the visa.

Thailand is certainly cheaper than the G7 countries but things are changing and exchange rates can be the deal breaker if you source your income outside the Kingdom.

Finally, I assume from your post you are a woman? If so I really think you need to speak to a long time English speaking female expat here. Life for single foreign women(if this is the case) can be difficult at times.

Hope that helps.

Come and spend 6 months here before you make any decision.

There are more bad points than good to living in Thailand, but most people do not want to talk about them.

And many expats have left for Cambodia or Vietnam.

But you may prefer living under a military dictatorship...

Do your own research more so than listening to people who have spent a few months here.

visit   thaivisaforum.com

[email protected]

I 100% agree with that advice, there are many other countries that are kinder than Thailand to there Expats. Don't come just for the money exchange rate. I myself am here because my wife has family here. But it has turned out to be a difficult choice. First of all we came to soon, right after retirement from the US. Now we have a condo we own & friends we have made. But in my mind am always looking for a better choice.  Patrick

You can find apartments 36 square meters with gym and pool around for 13K on craigslist.com, around Udonsuk BTS / Ekkamai.
I'll rent one next August. 6 months lease. Otherwise on the same site, some Thai may help you find a deal as usually prices take a hike when you're a foreigner.
And you go miles with a microwave but generally these apartments are furnished.

Thank you very much.  Will check it out.  Probably is a good idea to come over again and really explore the place.  Is there any concern about political unrest that may happen from time to time???  Anyone who has that experience?

Been here since 1997 and seen many different Prime Ministers and demonstrations. Seen the closure of 2 airports whereby flights has to be diverted to U Tao Pao airport.

Being foreigners, stay clear from any local demonstration as Thailand is their country.

Just be a spectator and watch from a distance. Foreigners can't do anything as it's not your country and you can't vote in the elections.

Just enjoy Thailand beauty of nature - waterfalls; rivers; mountains; sea; islands; lakes etc

Learn to be safe by being street smart.

Unrest. I was never here when it erupted so I can't tell. Foreigners are always respected provided they don't talk politics.
And the King is usually very respected.
Gerry

hello.  i am am also moving to phuket and could use some help.  do you know any agencies or people who might help me?  thank you.

Try getting a membership with Inter-Nations in Bangkok, this is a world wide group of Expats from all over the world, that for what ever reason are living in Thailand, they have dinners, cocktail partys, pot luck dinners, where you can meet other people with similar interests & ask questions. The other choice I have is subscribe to International Living Magazine, if you are looking for a place to retire they will give you the pro's & con's of retirement living all over the world, how much things cost, culture, safety, weather, etc. I can't say enough good things about this magazine, 49.00 a year delivered to you door & on-line. We use it to find places to travel where the tourist do not go. It is a big choice to make to live in a 3rd world country, take your time with the decision. Try it out for 6-12 months first. Good Luck to you. Patrick

hey that's great, thanks.  i work from home and am trying to find out the speed/stability of the local inernet on phuket, i have some fairly specific requirements.  thanks again.

If you want out of the hustle and bustle, a cooler place to live with less pollution and a laid back  lifestyle, try the Chiang Rai. Not sure what type of work you do or if you are retired but can live here for even on 1000 dollars a month.
Will not be by the ocean but will be in the mountainsides and Chiang Mai is also very close.. May want to look at Chiang Mai as well....the second largest city in Thailand. Metropolitan with many expats and western food and amenities. Not so much of this in Chiang Rai.

There's good internet around if you go with fibre optic cable.

I have CAT, the lowest level 20mbs/3mbs usually $50 a month but I got  a promotion price for half that.

Hello Vic (canuck4211),

It has been more than four years since you started this discussion thread. Did you go ahead to move to Thailand? Four years ago I myself made a big decision to move to Thailand with the intention to settle down here. I had to give up a lot of things but I never regret my decision. Life is short, it is here to be lived.

Hello rdhtrader,

Nice to know that you may want to move to Thailand in September this year. While there are mixed views on the military government here in Thailand, it actually brings a lot of stability and security. Crime rate is down. I feel things are moving towards the better. This country has a future. We only live once, but if we do it right, once is enough.

Nice to be in touch with both of you Vancouverites. I was an Albertan before. In Thailand you will not miss the sea, but you may miss the mountains and the prairies.

Peder

Hey
I'm from Toronto. I have a plan to live Canada for a better place to live and have fun. Can I have your experiences in thailand as a foreigner.
Is it safe to live, and have peace of mind.

I'm an American, not Canadian. I have looked at Thailand many ways.

I assume there is a misspelling in your message. I assume that you are looking at living in Thailand. I would suggest doing lots of on line research. I also suggest that after your do the extensive research pick a city or community or a travel plan to visit multiple areas that would fit or satisfy your needs. Then take an exploratory trip. Spending a month at a time in any place give you a flavor for each area. It would seem that the further out you go from the metropolitan areas the more you can enjoy the communal atmosphere of Thailand. You also need have your own support system, emotional and financial. Living in Thailand is reasonably safe, possibly with the exception of driving, and it is very affordable. But the "Kingdom" of Thailand is a Kingdom. It is a third world country that does participate with he first world countries. But things operate under the Thai way and not the way of the western world.
I am sure there are those out there that will contradict any piece or all of this, because there is always someone out there trying to disagree. However, these are my thoughts and observations. And what ever bloody bloke who wants to criticize this should do so appropriately, (Landcaster).

Hi I agree totally with Bill kip I know Thailand and NEVER would even visit there again despite the HYPE for tourism and as a dog lover the last straw was when I discovered just like the Chinese   in Thailand they ALSO TORTURE before cooking ALIVE dogs (see the videos of them SKINNING  them ALIVE  ( see videos on line ) google  "dog eating festivals in China and Thailand " they believe the setting then in fire to cook or torture makes them TASTIER How sick is THAT?
,THAT was the LAST straw Barbaric countries like that I would never again even visit.....
There are far nicer more civilized places to live away from freezing Canada I get a lot of tenants 6 months from the year here in Costa Rica  ( see you checked that out on our ex pat site :)  a MUCH better choice, but don't make the mistake as many do thinking that ALL Central American countries are safe NO WAY,,Panama NO  (crime and hate Gringos) Guatemala NO , Nicaragua is Not yet ready for basic good living
I have lived in Costa Rica  26 years as an entrepreneur, and went to Many Many countries before I mad this excellent decision.COME see for your self BUT avoid Asia like the plague THAT HATE US And Domestic innocent dogs and cats Skinned ALIVE also to make their crappy  kids toys
Why skin  cats alive " You may vomit when I tell you the reason..BECAUSE when their fur grows back after they are  squashed in cages  IN AGONY with rats to eat ,and little water,,,caged with hundreds of others UNTIL their fur grows back THEN SKINNED ALIVE AGAIN..would YOU help such uncivilized evil swines who do this ?? there is a place in hell waiting for them..FORGET it if you care about God's innocents..

Hi,

I have lived in Thailand for some time now and it fits my lifestyle.  How old you are is an important part of knowing what Thailand has to offer you.  If you are looking for work, then have to know your experience.  A person can come to Thailand with the shirt on their back and live here, but if you have assets makes it a whole lot easier.  I think the first step is to come to Thailand and spend some time here.  Again your financial situation will determine the lifestyle that you would fit into in Thailand.

Take care

timber