How has your life changed in Norway

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Norway? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Norway? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Norway has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

number one, cannot find work so cannot have bank account or personal number so no doctor, purchase of broadband \ little luxuries like a mobile phone subscription etc etc etc...mental health "0"

cannot get child into barnhague before August = no chance of me working - doing anything as I have to be a full time mother. I have done all the paper work, registered at the polis etc...been very honest and followed all Norways rules.

Perhaps if you are married to a Norwegian this is easier, but I didn't realise Norway was secretly old fashioned and not liberal at all! ( I have lived with my Norwegian Partner for 14 years in London and life was good. I had a well paid job, my own property in London, anything I wanted, power to buy anything I wanted, put my child in good childcare, have a car etc - totally independent. No I feel like I have no rights! I can't even join the local library as I have no personal number.

Novemeber  whilst prepapring for my move, I sent all my qualifications to utdanningsdirektoratet and still have heard nothing - its March 28th 2017 Now! I am in every moment I can learning Norwegian (when my 3 year old is asleep = not as I would have hoped), but seem like my life has become totally rubbish now.

A  propos my child who is supposed to be Norwegian (he has a native Norwegian father), he cannot get a personal number or doctor (because I cannot get a doctor or number), because he was born in London UK. I have to I was told by NAV get an apostille from a lawyer as British Birth certificates and passports are not enough proof he is Norwegian. What the hell is going on? I am from the UK. I dread to think what  my situatuin would be like if I was from Hawaii.

so to answer the initial brief "How has my life changed?" My life is totally backward, and standard of living is basic and depressed. If I had it my way. I would book my return to the UK in a second!

I totally feel what you are going trough. was wondering if you are allowed to stay for more then 3 months without getting a personal number. Aren't there any immigration lawyers who can help you out.

I don't think I really want to stay in Norway that much. But It's complicated as my child's father is Norwegian....Not feeling very enthusiastic right now. If I had a job I'm sure I'd feel differently - money etc. I'm living off my English savings.

That is the irony of it ... it´s difficult to find a job without a personal number and and it´s difficult  to get a personal number without a job

My life has definitely changed!  'Better or Worse?  it depends on how you look at it and your priorities.

I had a very well paid job back in Singapore with lots of friends and families.  Singapore is considered very much a more first world country compared to Norway.  Easy to get nice food and nice things.

But then we have very little nice nature and no seasonal differences.

I lost all the amentities and freedom that i used to enjoy in Norway but I also receive other kinds of enjoyment that I never had before.

I learnt to slow down a little at work and enjoy more family life.  I learn to enjoy a stroll in the forest and a swim in a real natural lake.  I learn to play in snow.  I learn to be more frugal because I don't earn as much and things are so expensive here.  I also learn to cook food at home more because there is no way to get food that i like outside and it is so expensive to get food outside too.

At times, I get so fed up with the system here.....medical and government....and wish that we can move back to singapore.  But I can see that Norway is a better country for my kid to grow up in.  In Singapore, kids are sent to learn enrichment classes when they are only a year old.  That is all because of the competitive nature in the society.  I don't want her to grow up in such an environment.  I want her to enjoy her childhood and play as much as she want when she still can.