How has your life changed in India

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to India? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in India? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to India has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

I'm not the same person getting my passport stamped at the immigration in January 2013. It's not overrated to say that living in India has contributed tremendously to my emotional growth. First lesson is acceptance towards people's behavior and tendencies. Until today, I'm still learning this skill. Because the point is to be your sane-self when accepting (or, even better, understanding) people's behavior and anticipating their tendencies to do things that might not be favorable to us. Most of you might have started learning this back home and mastered the skill by the age of 20. But hey, it's never too late to learn. :p

It hardly matters to people how our mood is. Not being surrounded by the family I grew up with often force me to keep my mood to myself. At times a day went so well but it all has to be kept inside the bathroom since others are having tensions for some reasons.  On other occasions, I have to  just smile and indulge myself in a cup of warm chai since any interaction with others may reveal my actual mood, which would ruin everyone else's.

First aid for insanity are a cup of chai or a walk with some nostalgic tunes. Keep in mind that when you're with a cuppa, don't talk to others. If you have to, just talk about how nice the chai is. The tunes you'd like to listen are the ones you used to listen to back in the day; the days where you're loved, successful, in peace, or at least having less tension than today.

Try exploring new places. If you like food, look for your kind of cuisine, your kind of place, or your kind of people to hangout with. Free yourself from limited means of transportation. Take metro, go somewhere far, sit, eat, and enjoy. Be a traveler for the day! Find friends by taking some classes, join a forum like expat.com, or work. If you don't have the permit to work, try the embassy. My first move was the forum, then embassy. They usually have events you can attend so you can socialize with people. Until today, I'm still in touch with the people in my embassy. There's no harm in doing so, or even to offer yourself when they need some voluntary assistance.

For me, life standard means the comfort in life. In Indonesia, a property as expensive as USD 650 a month would give you jogging track, swimming pool, clean environment, and allotted parking. I'm not sure whether such facilities could be provided in Delhi NCR with less than USD 2000. A PG back home would cost me USD 250 for my own room, attached bathroom, WiFi, daily cleaning, and allotted parking in a property looking like the ones we see in Maharani Bagh, Defence Colony, or Vasant Vihar. So until today, I'm still looking forward to exploring the property field here.

Living in India has changed my life dramatically. It has given me so much of insight about myself, people, and life. I learned at lot of life-hacks in this place. Loads of people are there to be a spectator of your life, a challenger to your growth, or your friend to get through it all. Just brace yourself, get ready for the hardball, treasure every single piece of marshmallow you can get along the way. Remember that you need to give credits to yourself for every single achievements, respect for every opinion, and love. This is why we have spa. :D

Have a nice chai!

India is best place to live especially south places like kerala

Namaste,

I am not in India yet, but will be soon. I am looking forward to seeing Lodhi Gardens in person, the architecture of the temples, the landscapes, the culture and soul of India. I am Hindu and am coming home soon. This trip is scary and huge for me, I have listened too much to horror stories about India. I want to experience India, it's history, the people, my ancestors. I will need a lot of help and advice from everyone. And if the ladies want some tips on wearing sari or lehenga, look me up, I have worn both and will wear them attending temple. I know I will be changed by India. India is changing because of us. Be kind. Namaste.