Job searching benefits for citizens in Norway?

Hello,

My wife is a Norwegian citizen; however, she has never lived in Norway a day in her life.  She was born and raised in Spain, but had to take her father's nationality because at the time, Spain did not give out citizenship just because one was born there.  It may still be the case.  She immigrated to the USA when she was a teenager.

I was just thinking, what if my wife moved to Norway, what could she expect as far as not knowing the language, and seeking employment?  Are there any job seeking services offered by the government that she could use.  Any other benefits she should be made aware of?

I've tried so many ways to phrase my questions without coming off as one seeking "free" benefits, but that is how it sounds I'm afraid, it cannot be sugar coated.  However, we would not be a typical family that wants to immigrate to Norway...

Our children are also Norwegian citizens, they have dual citizenship.  My wife has family in Bergen and Oslo.  My wife is an accountant by degree with an Executive MBA with an emphasis on Finance.  I am fortunate to be able to retire early at 55, and we enough to live off of savings for a few years, we are not going for "free" benefits, but want to participate in the system so that when five years is up (when I can begin to withdraw from my retirement accounts without penalty), we can continue to receive the health benefits while retired in Spain.

Any comments, questions are welcomed.  Thanks.

I have a friend whose wife is like yours.  Unfortunately benefits are only applicable if she has contributed at least 6 months of income tax.  That's what happened to my friend's wife.

They were planning to have a baby so they came to Norway.  She had to find a job which is easy for her since she does know how to speak norwegian.

Thank you, fornight.  So your friend's insurance does not cover the spouse?  Is each person required to obtain their own insurance?  In the US, one spouse insures the entire family, I'm guessing it's the same there, but I just want to understand what you said... that your friend's wife could not get healthcare insurance for six months?

Hi, My friend did not have job at that time too so he did not have access to public health care system.  He also took a while to find job because he did not speak norwegian.  He has to apply for his own personal number (like social security number) in order to access to healthcare system.

His wife has access to the healthcare system because she already has a number.  But she does not have access to maternity benefits like maternity leave because she needs to work for at least 6 months for that.

Thanks again.  My wife has a personal ID niumber, as do our kids.  My wife obtained citizenship/passports for them. 

Even though my wife and children are citizens and have far fewer hurdles/obstacles, the major issue is employment. 

I read a lot of conflicting information.  For all I read about how difficult it is, i can read an equal amount saying it is doable.  'Hard to believe what is right and wrong.

Anyway, thanks again for the information.