WARNING: Maltese Landlords will try to rip you off, also in Gozo!

Yes, I agree. With no legal recourse to speak of, it`s buyer (renter) beware.
Thanks for the advice, Toon.

In my experiences so far garnishees are the weapon of choice of some LLs who will use it whenever they wish/feel they are due monies that havent been paid  = whether due or not.

been thru this many times with tenants and despite warnings and doing as much as we can to highlight these things people are still getting caught by it almost every day but i will say LLs are getting very inventive in their actions 

Having said all this there are still many good landlords out there the problem most have, as was originally asked, is finding them and i still stand by my earlier comment go by recommendations only.....  as there is NO regulation of the rental market most properties arent registered and as such there are absolutely no checks a tenant can do to ensure their legal compliance or tenants safety

Toon wrote:

In my experiences so far garnishees are the weapon of choice of some LLs who will use it whenever they wish/feel they are due monies that havent been paid  = whether due or not.

If a Landlord issues a garnishee order that is not merited, then you could ask the court to punish the Landlord for requesting a garnishee order that was not merited.

The point that I was discussing before is how to ensure a landlord will not keep your deposit. By including a clause in the contract that the last month's rent has to be exchanged with the deposit, one would not be in breach of contract if he does not pay the rent without being given the deposit back.

Moreover it does not make economic sense for the landlord to issue a garnishee order for just 1 months rent, particularly where the landlord has to return  the deposit.

Of course if there is serious damage or rent is unpaid for a good number of months, then the Landlord would have no choice except to request a garnishee order and the court would welcome such an order particularly if it sees that there are a good number of months in arrears.

am not saying you are incorrect  am saying its a weapon that is used quite regularly - and is in the LLs arsenal  - be aware of it and be cautious with any and all Landlords as their inventiveness knows no boundaries

and as you ve already said the courts tend to favour the Maltese LL here

I agree about greed in the Maltese people. I know you get that everywhere but it seems to be rife in this Country.

That being said, I have lived here 10 years and perhaps I have just been lucky but, the three landlords I have had in that time have all been wonderful. I've never not had my deposit back and they have always been lovely, upfront and haven't messed me around.

As I said, I think it is just luck on my part because I have heard some truly astonishing stories. Locks being changed when the person is out and their laptops and passports taken as ransom for more cash being one example. Ok that one was extreme but I've had ex colleagues who are knew to the Country tell that their landlord insists on getting their gas for them and charging them €50! Wonder what they do with the € 32 change?  🧐

I too had four great landlords so dont be disheartened there are good & fair landlords out there  - just as there are bad landlords there are bad tenants too. Good luck