40.000-42.000/months for a couple in Gothenburg

Hello,

My name is Jenny im currently living in Germany, where my husband and I are both working.

We may need to move to Gothenburg for my husband job.

We will like to know how will be our life with one salary( i read that is very difficult to find a job in Gothenburg for foreigners) .

My husband salary may be between 40kr to 42kr so  around 29.500kr net per month for 2.

Knowing that the salary are very high in Germany and that we are both working we are a bite scared that this amount will be a bite short for us and mahbe for the future if we want children.

We spent a weekend in Gothenburg and the price are much higher then in Germany.

We check prices but we will like to know from people who are living there what they are thinking. 
And if you think we can save a bite of money in the end pf each month.

Thank you so much for your time.
Jenny

Hi Jenny and welcome to the Forum. :)

There is an organisation called Numbeo that provide web-data on price comparisons between countries/cities; this link will take you to a comparison for the 2 cities you've mentioned.

The headline results are:

Consumer Prices in Gothenburg are 17.39% higher than in Cologne
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Gothenburg are 15.14% higher than in Cologne
Rent Prices in Gothenburg are 9.06% higher than in Cologne
Restaurant Prices in Gothenburg are 26.94% higher than in Cologne
Groceries Prices in Gothenburg are 42.97% higher than in Cologne
Local Purchasing Power in Gothenburg is 7.42% lower than in Cologne

Word of warning regarding the results - they are based on the previous 12-months and nobody can see what the future will bring.

Hope this helps.

Hi Cynic,

Thank you so much for your answer. I have checked this website already 😊.

The numbers scared me a little bite.

So that why im looking for informations from people living in Gothenburg. How they are living. And if they think is possile to live well with this amount of money 💰 and if we can make some savings

Hi Jenny,

I've never lived in Sweden, but have visited Gothenburg several times for business.

There were 2 things that stood out for me:

1.  It was expensive.
2.  What was the fascination for eating fish!

Perhaps your other-half could speak to his boss and ask for some extra salary to help pay for the extra-costs you'll incur?

I think you can live pretty well with that salary range. Ultilize public transport and avoid eating out will save you a lot of money.

Let' just say you spend 15k/month for rent, 4k/month for gas and transport, 6k/month on food, and 5k for miscellaneous things. That's like 10k leftover.