Moving to Timisoara, from the US

Hello,

I am reaching out regarding US citizens and expats living and working in Romania. I am a 26 year old US citizen working as an accountant at a large accounting firm out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I am interested in moving to Timisoara this summer. I am trying to connect with individuals who have made the move or anyone who can provide information on finding a job, information on US citizens living and working in Romania, opportunities/challenges of moving and living there, etc. I have visited the country 3 times and enjoyed all my visits there and have made several friends in Timisoara and Arad area over the years. The problem I have been running into is finding anyone from the US living in the country to connect with. I am curious to hear what types of jobs American or other expats are able to find and any additional information and advice that can assist in helping with my plan. Any advice, information or additional contacts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best regards,

Ethan

ethanbennett3 wrote:

Hello,

I am reaching out regarding US citizens and expats living and working in Romania. I am a 26 year old US citizen working as an accountant at a large accounting firm out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I am interested in moving to Timisoara this summer. I am trying to connect with individuals who have made the move or anyone who can provide information on finding a job, information on US citizens living and working in Romania, opportunities/challenges of moving and living there, etc. I have visited the country 3 times and enjoyed all my visits there and have made several friends in Timisoara and Arad area over the years. The problem I have been running into is finding anyone from the US living in the country to connect with. I am curious to hear what types of jobs American or other expats are able to find and any additional information and advice that can assist in helping with my plan. Any advice, information or additional contacts would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best regards,

Ethan

Ethan, I think you may find it difficult to find a job.  You would need to find a firm that is able to secure a work permit for you, which would mean they are proving to the authorities that no Romanian or EU citizen is available to fill the job, as they have priority for jobs, as well as paying for the permit and handling the bureaucracy.  As for accountants, there are plenty of them here who are already trained in Romanian fiscal code and know how the system works, and speak fluent Romanian (You didn't say what Romanian skills you have).  If your present firm has an office in Romania and can transfer you here, that's your best option. 

I think many Americans that move here without a job, or Romanian spouse, typically open up their own business in order to secure a residence permit and work independently.

While you have visited a few times, keep in mind that visiting a country is one thing, living can be another thing.  Tourists tend to see things with rose-tinted glasses :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you for the information.

Hey Ethan, are you still living in TImisoara?

Hello,

Yes, I am currently living in Timisoara and trying to survive the warm summer here.

best regards,

Ethan

Hi Ethan, are you still living in Timisoara? How is life in Romania?
Me ( Romanian) and my boyfriend ( American) live in Arad.

Hi,

Yes, still living in Timisoara and enjoying it the best I can given the current pandemic situation.

Best,
Ethan

What do you do for living? What sort of things or matters you are interested to look into? Do you have contacts who can help by job offerings? Thanks and nice to meet you at this forum.
Regards,
Rabina G Rasaily