A New Circle of Friends

I'm Cheryl, presently living in Florida.  In my daydreams I can see my Golden Retriever and myself in my SUV packed with my photography and painting equipment, and heading off for Belize. 
I do plan to retire in less than a year and soon after that those daydreams will be a reality.  In the interim, I'm looking to plant the seeds to grow a wonderful garden of friends already living in or regularly visiting Belize.
Things I'd like to know - is there a noticable difference in temperature between the beaches and mountain areas? If I want to start a business somehow related to photography or my art, is there a better locale?  Are there areas less likely to have hurricane problems (being from Fla. I'm used to those critters)?  Is safety a concern regardless of where you are in the country? (I see bars on the windows everywhere). 
Thats good for starters.  Let me hear from you!

Hi Cheryl, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will help you with your questions very soon. I'm sure you will make lot of new contacts on the site.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Thank you Christine.  I'm really excited about making new friends here and learning more about Belize.