Looking for a farm to volunteer on

Hola amigos,

My girlfriend and I are moving to the island in the next month or so and we are going to start a Foodtruck "Guagua". To do so, we want to build long standing relationships with farmers, and gain a better understanding of farming culture in Puerto Rico, different produce according to regions, and everything the island has to offer with sustainable cultivation.

We are looking for a farmstay, volunteer at with food and shelter to offer, and are looking for any suggestions some members may have? We want to make at least a month long commitment for the month of April, to learn as much as we can about every aspect of the farm. We are very hard workers, like to get our hands dirty, and are very very grounded human beings. Your farm looks like the kind of variety of produce and work that we are looking for.

If anyone has any leads or friends that run fincas on the island and have volunteer programs or looking for help, please let us know!

Best,

Nathan + Mekala

Hi, When I have a date as to when I will be in PR I will let you know. In the meantime have you tried WWOOF? A better chance might be to go to the farmer markets around the Island and approach the vendors. If they are selling, they have viable farms and will know others who might need a hand and you may also find where you can buy wholesale. My farm is more agritourism/agrforestry, and growing for personal use and an online market.

Thanks Mark!

Please let us know when you are back, and thank you for the tips! We will definitely look into the market vendors

There is a ton of info here, google translate will help. It is a pretty old list but it's the most comprehensive I have ever found and an excellent jumping off point. Cheers, Karen

Farming is growing again and going thru some growing pains. Farms in PR only produce about 15% of what is needed for the population, so most of what is consumed is imported.
If you are going for a food truck you may as well use local products in your food, maybe make sure it is clearly marked in the truck.