EU Citizenship Question

Good morning from Yukon, Canada. 😊
Guys I have a question I'm hoping someone here may be able to answer.

I was born in Kosice in 1966 and my parents escaped in 1968 due to the impending Russian invasion.

They took my brother and I, fled to Canada with $20 and 2 suitcases.

Growing up I was taught two languages, Slovak and Hungarian - over the years I forgot Slovak but still remember how to speak Hungarian exceptionally well. I may be a bit rusty with talking but I understand everything. I know it would come back to me quickly.

So my question is this :
Back in the late 80's when I went to Kosice for a visit, I was granted a passport from the Slovakia.

I have since let it expire but i believe my birthright gives me automatic citizenship to the country I was born in? My entire family was also pardoned by the Czech government for fleeing; hence the reason we went back in 89 for a visit.

So if I establish my Slovak citizenship and obtain a passport - does this passport automatically let me live and work in any of the EU countries ?

If this is true, this seems it would save a horrendous amount of paperwork and beuracracy when I decide to move from Canada to Budapest.

Does it work this way? If I gave a valid passport from Slovak Republic, could I just board a plane, fly to Budapest and begin my new life and live and work there without having to obtain any other permits or visas? Does it work this way for all EU countries ? I'll have a decent monthly pension so if I get bored with Hungary and want to try living in another EU country, will Slovak passport allow me to freely come and go and i or and work?

Thanks for your time!

Crazyfoo wrote:

So if I establish my Slovak citizenship and obtain a passport - does this passport automatically let me live and work in any of the EU countries ?

Yes it does.

Crazyfoo wrote:

If this is true, this seems it would save a horrendous amount of paperwork and bureaucracy when I decide to move from Canada to Budapest.

Does it work this way? If I gave a valid passport from Slovak Republic, could I just board a plane, fly to Budapest and begin my new life and live and work there without having to obtain any other permits or visas? Does it work this way for all EU countries ? I'll have a decent monthly pension so if I get bored with Hungary and want to try living in another EU country, will Slovak passport allow me to freely come and go and i or and work?

Again, yes. :)  Well, you may have to register your residence and be issued a residence permit, but it's a minor formality in most cases.

As I understand it yes, BUT download the administrative rules for application for a Slovak passport. You will need to comply with the photo ID rules. Ensure that bring everything that you could need.

Crazyfoo wrote:

Yup

Crazyfoo wrote:

Yup......and of course, you need to register with the authorities if you take up employment as you still have to pay taxes etc. But essentially there's nothing to stop you exercising your (EU) "treaty rights".   You can still be deported if they really wanted to do that - for example if you had majorly bad criminal record and it came to light.  They can also refuse you entry (not to Slovakia as you are a citizen) but to other EU countries but that's almost unheard of.  Once in the Schengen zone, you can go anywhere anyway without encountering borders.

As you are ethnically Hungarian (I suppose by way of your language skills), you can also claim Hungarian citizenship too. Being able to speak Hungarian seems to be just about the only requirement to claim that.

You can go anywhere really without a visa although some specific EU citizens are treated differently in some 3rd countries.  In others, the visa requirements are the same for all EU citizens.  Quite a useful thing.

With slovak citizenship you'd have to register with the immigration authority in Hungary, prove that you have enough savings/income to support yourself, a place to live, etc.

atomheart wrote:

With slovak citizenship you'd have to register with the immigration authority in Hungary, prove that you have enough savings/income to support yourself, a place to live, etc.

I don't think so.  Why?

Registration with the local government authorities (not the immigration authorities) in the place where you want to live.  Then you get your address card etc etc.  Get your tax number. Health card (pay for it). You don't need any proof of income to take up residence in Hungary if you are an EU citizen. You are entitled to be there 90 days without even registering.

In Hungary it's the immigration authorities where you need to register, even as an EU citizen, if you want to stay for longer than 90 days, and proof of income or enough funds is one of the requirements:

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co … mp;lang=en

atomheart wrote:

In Hungary it's the immigration authorities where you need to register, even as an EU citizen, if you want to stay for longer than 90 days, and proof of income or enough funds is one of the requirements:

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co … mp;lang=en

Interesting....that's a bit different to the way I remembered. 

I looked also here:  EU citizens

The insurance is something which can be a problem if you want the permanent residence card.  EU people in the UK who didn't get interim insurance find themselves disqualified from residence post-Brexit referendum.

But anyway, says 93 days, not 90.

Yes, on paper the right of an EU citizen to live anywhere in the EU isn't quite as broad as sometimes painted. It's intended to be more a right to work, so member countries can if they want impose some income requirements, though not all do and not all that do enforce the requirements strictly.

Of course we're talking about EU rules here, so this is just a simple explanation of a no doubt much more complicated issue.