Close

Teaching English in Bali

New member saying hello. Searching high and low for English teaching jobs around Bali. Currently located in Denpasar but can travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're already teaching you must be qualified appropriately.
However, you'll have to get a new work permit and a new sponsor for your KITAS (Assuming you aren't on a wife sponsored KITAP).

As for where - walk around all the local international schools and/or language mills with a large pile of business cards.

If you aren't teaching at this point, you must hold a degree (English), a teaching certificate, and have five years teaching experience.

Thank you for your advice Fred. Have you had experience teaching in Bali?

No, so I can't give advice on the specifics regarding Bali.
I can advise as to the general state of play regarding immigration and so on.

Are you a qualified teacher?
Do you have an English degree?
Do you have CELTA (or whatever)?
Do you have 5 years experience?

I assume you're disease and drug use free.

Bali is well over subscribed for teachers so it's buyer's market.
Most won't take under qualified people and the salary is low and often doesn't include good accommodation or any accommodation.
However if you are qualified then it's hiring time in Indonesia for schools so you might be lucky.
Finally if you want casual work it won't happen nor will short term due to the visa and legal concerns. So be careful

Luke's points are very good ones.
The note about work permits and visas being a big one to watch. I've been offered illegal work more times than I can remember but always refused because I didn't fancy the fines, possible prison time and being deported.

No to three of those, I understand the disadvantages of not having some as they are visa requirements. Thanks again for the info.

Thank you for the info. Visa's are always a tricky subject in Indonesia. I'll keep on getting my name out there and building contacts.

Innes40 :

No to three of those, I understand the disadvantages of not having some as they are visa requirements. Thanks again for the info.

The disadvantage is simple - You can't work legally as an English teacher in Bali.
Working illegally there would be a very bad idea as the local immigration are known for being very keen on that.
I very strongly recommend you give up on the idea.

Once again, sorry to rain on your parade but immigration laws are pretty strictly enforced there.

There is one possible way you can do part time work legally, but you must be a KITAP holder for that to work.
Don't suppose you've been married to an Indonesian for over two years, have you?

Well your experiences have been different to mine. I've recently moved from Jakarta where I possessed a kitas. You can get them without the things you listed there, maybe it's more difficult in Bali but I won't give up just yet. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.

Expatriate health insurance in Bali

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Bali

Moving to Bali

Find tips from professionals about moving to Bali

Travel insurance in Bali

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Bali

Flights to Bali

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Bali