Figures on accidents

Hi All
Is there anyone out there that can help?? I am trying to get some figures on accidents occuring on building sites from minor cuts and grazes to fatalities. The reason behind this being I hope to start work soon in Libya as a Health and Safety Manager, and I would like to try and find out what I may be up against.

Many thanks to all.

Hello builder-Bob,

Your post has been introduced in a new thread for better visibility; this might then increase your chance in obtaining more responses & reactions.

Regards

Bob,
    I am sorry that I don't have any stats for you, but what I can tell you is that you are coming into an environment where HSE plays little part. I had friend here as an  HSE instructor he got so frustrated that he told them to shove it and left. Now some companies in the Oil industry like BP are very HSE aware out in Libya, but that of course is not in your line of work. Their is so much construction work at the moment that you can't help walking past buildings either in the process of being erected or demolished. I walked past one the other day and was almost crushed when about a ton of rubble fell from the 5th floor. That should give you some idea what you are 'up against'.

Bob

I'm a Scot with 25+ years experience in UK construction and now 1 year here.

You'll not be surprised to hear that I have strong views on this

PM me and we can discuss in detail

libyanjag

Clansman wrote:

Bob,
    I am sorry that I don't have any stats for you, but what I can tell you is that you are coming into an environment where HSE plays little part. I had friend here as an  HSE instructor he got so frustrated that he told them to shove it and left. Now some companies in the Oil industry like BP are very HSE aware out in Libya, but that of course is not in your line of work. Their is so much construction work at the moment that you can't help walking past buildings either in the process of being erected or demolished. I walked past one the other day and was almost crushed when about a ton of rubble fell from the 5th floor. That should give you some idea what you are 'up against'.

Grammar correction: Their There

i do not think that you would encounter anythig that you have not   already come across before in your career as  HSE ELSWHERE, libya is no different from other places  , WELCOME, FEEL AT HOME

sbdussalam wrote:

i do not think that you would encounter anythig that you have not   already come across before in your career as  HSE ELSWHERE, libya is no different from other places  , WELCOME, FEEL AT HOME

http://www.markwheadon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/headinsand.png

sbdussalam wrote:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/ed_mudman/IMGP2750.jpg

I don't know whether it was the precarious way these guys were balanced on their makeshi(f)t platform, or if it was the lack of barriers around them or the pavement below that got my attention.
Actually, it was the guy on the left using a pneumatic hammer to cover the pavement , road and passing cars in masonry. Yup, that got my attention. So if you live in a place that has a general disregard for the safety of others as well as for the self, then go ahead - 'feel at home'. :)