Document to sell property in Romania

I am Romanian born and have been in the USA for 20+ years as a USA citizen.  Recently, I inherited an apartment and some land in Romania.  My Romanian passport and ID card have expired.  Can I sell my inherited property with my Romanian birth certificate and a USA passport?  Or do I need to get a Romanian passport or ID card to sell property in Romania?

I wouldn't think that its a problem at all, but you need to ask a Romanian notary public for an official answer, as they facilitate the legal sale.

Have you actually found a buyer in Romania already? Do you have all the properties current documents, including the extras de carte funciara pentru autenificare?

If you need to travel to Romania to get everything in order and complete the sale, you'll need to visit the Romanian embassy and renew your passport I think.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

If you no longer have Romanian identity documents and a CNP, you'll need to register with the fiscal authorities in order for the taxes on the sale to be paid. When I  bought my place the owner was in a similar situation, having left România în the early 90s and no longer having a CNP.

You'll also need to go to the town hall for a document to show there are no outstanding taxes on any properties you own, not just the one you're selling.  The seller in my case discovered he'd received land from the state after he'd left and had to pay all the back-dated taxes before he could get the document proving he had no debts.

I didn't realize one could 'lose' a CNP, I thought they were always issued from birth and were permanent.  :/

Not sure really. In the case of the guy who sold my place, i think he'd given up his Romanian citizenship when he left the country. Can US citizens have double citizenship?

I was also thinking getting a tax number (NIF) as a US citizen might be faster than going through all the hoops of renewing a Romanian passport and an ID card, unless the OP wanted them for other purposes i guess.

Maykal wrote:

Not sure really. In the case of the guy who sold my place, i think he'd given up his Romanian citizenship when he left the country. Can US citizens have double citizenship?

I was also thinking getting a tax number (NIF) as a US citizen might be faster than going through all the hoops of renewing a Romanian passport and an ID card, unless the OP wanted them for other purposes i guess.

Yes we can :) My kids are dual USA/Romanian citizens

I'm not sure the OP could use the NIF route as an American, because from what I understood he's still a Romanian citizen, he's just let his passport and ID expire.  He can't really be considered a foreign citizen in the eyes of Romanian government.

Actually now I think about it, he doesn't need to renew the Romanian passport.  If he needs to travel to Romania, he can do so with the American one (as a tourist). Once here, he could get a new ID....he could also renew the passport in country instead of the embassy, which is much easier.

Fair enough. I'd assumed after that much time he'd have got citizenship there, but if not, he'll have to do the renewal.

I go to Romania every year to see family using my US passport.  I have dual citizenship.  Will look at getting an ID card or passport this summer while there.  Am not familiar with the NIF.  Guess I'll have to look at the tax laws in Romania and the US reference selling property.  Not sure how the US Capital Gains tax works for selling Romanian property.  Property taxes are up to date.  My dad has taken care of that.  To my knowledge my CNP is still good as it is attached to documents to the land that I own.  No buyers yet.  Just word of mouth on advertising.  Hoping the market will get better.  Thanks for the responses.

DeputyDawg46 wrote:

I go to Romania every year to see family using my US passport.  I have dual citizenship.  Will look at getting an ID card or passport this summer while there.  Am not familiar with the NIF.  Guess I'll have to look at the tax laws in Romania and the US reference selling property.  Not sure how the US Capital Gains tax works for selling Romanian property.  Property taxes are up to date.  My dad has taken care of that.  To my knowledge my CNP is still good as it is attached to documents to the land that I own.  No buyers yet.  Just word of mouth on advertising.  Hoping the market will get better.  Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the follow up.  If you haven't done so already, you can drop a free ad about your property in the HOUSING section of the site.  That might help get the process moving :)

Just a comment reference a post that I saw from a couple years ago about taxes.  When we went to City Hall about the land and apartment, I was able to set up an account with login and password to see the land and apartment taxes.  This is when I knew that my CNP was still valid as they checked it.  People should check with their City Hall to see if they have a web site and access to the records that way.  We also do the same on-line to track other accounts, i.e., phone and TV, for my elderly parents.

DeputyDawg46 wrote:

Just a comment reference a post that I saw from a couple years ago about taxes.  When we went to City Hall about the land and apartment, I was able to set up an account with login and password to see the land and apartment taxes.  This is when I knew that my CNP was still valid as they checked it.  People should check with their City Hall to see if they have a web site and access to the records that way.  We also do the same on-line to track other accounts, i.e., phone and TV, for my elderly parents.

You might be referring to www.ghiseul.ro ? :)

Yes and also Avan Tax.