Which type of application for residence permit?

Hi everyone,

I'm in Malta studying on a 2 year course at the university but I intend to stay after my course and I have just bought a flat here.

I need to apply for the residence permit and know I can apply for it on the basis of being a student but I would like to know if I can also apply under the Self-sufficiency category as I support myself by renting out my spare room.

I've tried to do lots of research online but it doesn't seem clear if I can do it on this basis too (it's looks as though I could but I don't know if they would only accept if I was in employment)

Will I get the resident permit for just the number of years I am studying here? If yes, this is why I'm thinking it might be better to apply as Self-sufficient if it would mean I would get a resident permit for more years-maybe I am wrong

Any advice would be much appreciated!

as you appear to be British, the answer is in the long term, no-one knows what the answers are.

for now, getting self sufficient is easy enough - the point of it is that it's for people who dont work.  You just prove your income and fill a few forms and done done, indefinite residence permit - at least while you're European.

Thank you for your reply volcane. Yes I am British and yes who knows what my status will be in the future!

That's good to know self sufficiency is for those who don't work. I did not know that I could get permanent residency though; I though it was after 5 years that I can get permanent residency....

I guess my question is also how long each residence permit is for (u till obviously I can apply for permanent residency). I assume if I apply as a student it will be granted for only as long as I am a student but I'm not sure of the number of years for self sufficiency

I am here under self sufficiency. this required either owning a property of eye watering cost, or else having the stipulated amount of money on deposit and having the evidence to prove it. As an OAP I managed nto scrape by on the later, but I am nor sure how this might apply to a young chap as yourself. Logic dictates that if you meet the same criteria, you should be OK, but the circumstances you describe may not qualify as you need the ackers up front; not easy early on in life.

@hanham I am not aware of any timeline associated with the residency permits once issued - but perhaps different on self sufficient, I am a employed business owner so perhaps different for me

Vagrant wrote:

I am here under self sufficiency. this required either owning a property of eye watering cost, or else having the stipulated amount of money on deposit and having the evidence to prove it. As an OAP I managed nto scrape by on the later, but I am nor sure how this might apply to a young chap as yourself. Logic dictates that if you meet the same criteria, you should be OK, but the circumstances you describe may not qualify as you need the ackers up front; not easy early on in life.

You can obtain your eResidence documentation without owning a property or having the stipulated amount on deposit.
An income above the current stipulated weekly amount by way of pension or investments is all that is required.

This is from 2014 so the amounts have increased a little.

If applying under 'Economic Self Sufficiency'.

This status requires that applicants show that they are able to provide for themselves and for their accompanying dependants by being financially stable and not being in need of any financial support from the Maltese government. The current thresholds for EU/EEA nationals are set at a minimum capital of  14,000 or a weekly income of  92.32 for single persons, and at a capital of at least  23,300 or a weekly income of  108.63 for married couples. Moreover, an extra  8.15 is required per any added dependent. (27.05.14. Check for current rates.)

Ray

does this minimum of e14,000 have to be in deposit at all times, or can you just apply for self sufficiency with this amount, even though you could well spend it in a year or so.

alftupper wrote:

does this minimum of e14,000 have to be in deposit at all times, or can you just apply for self sufficiency with this amount, even though you could well spend it in a year or so.

You do not have to have any money on deposit as long as your weekly income is above the minimum stated. It is in the post above, in the pinned post at the top of the Forum page and on the Ministry website!
If you do apply using the capital amount then they only want to see the confirmation once, but when you renew in 5 years they would want new evidence of self sufficiency.
We just used our statement sent by UK pensions service informing us what our weekly pension would be for the coming year as proof of income.

Ray

Thank you everyone for your really helpful advice! So if for the self suffice you you get 5 years residence permit is that the same if you apply as a student even if the course is for less than 5 years?