Close

Rent condo before or after arrival?

Hey all,

I will be moving to Bangkok from Canada on June 1st. I'd really like to have a condo rented BEFORE I arrive, hoping I can just get off plane, head to new place, and have broker meet me there and do necessary paperwork, etc etc.  I'm unsure if this is a wise idea, if I need to send first month and subsequent deposits in advance to broker ive never met, etc, can anybody recommend a trustworthy and intuitive broker who can meet my condo needs, etc.

Last time I transplanted to Barcelona, all my living arrangements were prearranged and I loved the ease of arriving and settling.

Secondary option is airbnb something for the first few days and go out with broker to look at places matching my criteria, however, this only gives me 2 days of time to find a place, make arrangements and settle financials before I am starting professional program.

Is one option more doable/safer? I can't make it to Bangkok before that date to find condo.

Suggestions, comments, thoughts, alternatives, new ideas greatly welcomed.

Hi 89Peaches and welcome to Expat.com :)

These articles might help you with your questions : http://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/thai … ation.html

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Use websites offering accommodation only for your orientation.
NEVER book and certainly NEVER pay large amounts of deposits and rents in advance.

The accommodation may look lovely in the pictures, but the environment is as important.
Are there noisy bars around? Can you walk in the street safely? How far away is public transport really?
Shopping and dining possibilities?
All questions are being answered in the shiny websites, but is it true?

My 5 pennies:
1. Ask your new employer for the best possible area to live in.
2. Book a hotel in that area.
3. Browse here: http://www.mrroomfinder.com or http://www.bahtsold.com and check the possibilities
4. Make appointments with people at the properties found, but don't pay anything in advance.
5. Try to visit 3 maybe 4 properties on the first day and after making a decision, signing the contract and paying deposit and 1st month rent you can move in.

Things to consider when choosing an accommodation (apart from personal considerations):
- at least 3rd floor or higher
- what's the cost of internet, electricity, water and other services
- what facilities are offered: pool, fitness, convenience store, laundry service
- how far is public transport (BTS, MRT, SRT)
- check out the quality of maintenance in public areas; it says everything about the general maintenance of the building
- check the surroundings for any possible noisy venue (karaoke, open-air-beer-bar, etc.). These kind of venues usually do not operate in the day-time; it may be hard to discover them.

Hi 89Peaches,

I've sent you PM if you need any help, please let me know. :)

Cheers,
T.

I would go with your second option of using airbnb to book place for week or even a month to give you time to see for yourself the area and apartment/condo first hand before signing any lease agreement.

I would start at a hotel and visit condos while you are there.

Make sure you know the electric and water rate before signing any lease.  Also don't sign a lease you cannot read because its in Thai.

Currently the government electric rate is around 4 baht per unit but some apartments/agents will charge you 8-10 baht and perhaps higher.  Make sure you know before you sign because double the rate doubles your cost.

Not sure about water in Bangkok lately but some years ago I was paying between 17 and 20 baht per unit if memory is correct.  Currently I pay 25 in Chonburi.

I'm curious, how do you deal with contracts that are in Thai? A friend translates for you and you hope the meaning survives the translation? Are there professionals to help with that? Can you get a "pasaa Angrit" contract instead?

I lived in Bkk for seven years and was lucky the few places I rented provided the lease in English.  You only options if lease in Thai would be close Thai friend that is fluent in English or take to one of the translation shops.

The problem with Thai friends that have a decent grasp of spoken and written English are unable to translate some terms that may be in a lease to English.  In cases like this its best to have access to Google translate to assist in the translation on words they might not know proper word in English.

Sometimes you cannot even rely on translation shop so be careful selecting a shop.  A few years back I needed translation of a Thai court order.  The shop I picked was anything but good and I ended up getting a second translation from lawyers office.  The first translation did not read anything like a legal document a court would put out while the second read like a proper legal document.

The important thing to remember is never sign something you did not read and understand.  Also get signed copy of any lease agreement for your own records at the time of signing.  Don't accept I'll get copy to you later because you may never receive.

One thing to look out for if renting a condo....some owners like to put a clause stating the tenant/renter is responsible for paying the condo maintenance fee.  The wording may be such you skip right over it without giving it any thought.  This fee is paid by every owner to provide funds for maintenance of building common area's and equipment.  As an owner I would love to pass the 40k baht fee I pay once a year to some unsuspecting renter.

bienvenue en Thilande.  I moved from Montreal to Thailand a few years back.   be sure the place you get is close to the BTS  (metro) .  when in Bangkok I always go to MN Place on sukumvitt 62    nice condo hotel set up  kitchen and all if needed     pool   washing machines etc etc....  scooter taxis across the street   very safe and nice afordable place   starting at about $250-300 (CDN) a month    the owner is Gail...speak english   very nice woman... you can find all info on the net   close to bts   scooter taxi to BTS about $ 1.00    about $ 10.00 from airport to MN place... you can rent by day -week--month and yearly ....renting condos is a tourist trap...so beware

Thanks, Straydog! I am sure this applies to buying a condo as well.

So far, no response from 89Peaches.
I hope she's at least visited Thailand before making this leap... :/

Moderated by Christopher last week
Reason : Please drop an advert under the Housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

BTW, all the condos I've seen advertised so far are part of multistory apartment like complexes. In the states, many condos are more like townhouses. Are there any condos like that in Thailand?

Expatriate health insurance in Bangkok

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Bangkok

Moving to Bangkok

Find tips from professionals about moving to Bangkok

Travel insurance in Bangkok

Enjoy stress-free travel to Bangkok

Flights to Bangkok

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Bangkok