Close

Citizenship

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a bit of guidance because I think I'm misreading something.

The end goal is Croatian citizenship.

The (very brief) facts are:
- Born in UK
- Dad is an ethnic Croat born in Croatia to Croatian parents and left when Yugoslavia existed
- Currently living in France

I think (from my reading of the law) that I would qualify for citizenship. This was always something that I wanted to do (I feel like it is something that I should have and was taken away from me by circumstances and, also, I want to do it for my Dad because it would restore the link) but it has sort of been pushed to the forefront by Brexit and being a British citizen living in the EU.  So it feels like the planets have aligned and it's the ideal time to try!

So, I suppose the questions are:
- if I can get my Dad's papers (particularly a birth certificate showing he is an ethnic Croat) would I qualify (in theory)?
- if I could do that, would I need to be able to speak Croatian. I am more than happy to learn it (I love learning languages!) but, being realistic, I doubt I would be able to get to any decent level in a short space of time!

I am thinking of popping into the Croatian Embassy in Paris in a couple of weeks. Is there anything I should ask? Have any of you dealt with the Embassies overseas and, if so, how helpful were they?

That's it! :) Thanks for reading and commenting!

jamesmb

Oui, parler croate est obligatoire!!! There will be probably a test language.

This is the main bit that I was confused by. One reading of the law suggested that if you were applying for determination of citizenship (so citizenship by decent via Article 11), you were exempt from a number of the standard provisions. But I may be misreading it - which is why I'm asking! :)

Expatriate health insurance in Croatia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Croatia

Moving to Croatia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Croatia

Travel insurance in Croatia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Croatia