Divorced Ex-Military Wanting to Relocate to Western Puerto Rico

Hello to everyone:

My name is Mark and I am currently living in Atlanta, GA having been a life-long New Yorker. I dont want my story to be too long.  My ex-wife of 27 years is Puerto Rican (from NY) and we have visited the island too many times to count.  Needless to say, despite traveling the world in the Army for 8 years, from the moment I stepped foot on Puerto Rico I knew I was home.   So...

I will be 59-1/2 early 2018 and am tired of the day-to-day life on the mainland.  I require very little in overhead having grown up dirt poor in the projects.  This is what I would like to do, and I would love opinions from those of you who have made the move to Puerto Rico:

I would like relocate later this year and I have less than 40k in retirement money saved (dont ask please).   I love the Isabela, Aguadilla, Aguada, Rincon, Mayaguez areas as well as the small mountain towns that surround (Baja Alto, Moca, etc.) 

*  Rent a small place for $400 - $600 / month
*  Assume another $200 / month for water, electric, propane, internet
*  I would not need cable service, just my laptop
*  Another $150 - $200 for food (produce is more important to me than processed foods)

I would obviously need a vehicle which I know I could get a decent used one there.  I would guess $75-$100 a month tops for gas.

Since I am a vet I could have medical until I am 65 from the VA Hospital in Mayaguez.  I am bi-lingual and would hope I could find something even part time (I am an IT guy now, but would do absolutely anything).....

So bottom line, Could I initially live on $15k-$20k a year?  I could start collecting my SSI (assuming a certain president doesn't gut that too) in 2-1/2 years which would be around $24k a year.  I feel like I could do this, especially if I met some new friends born there, and now living there.

Thank you all for your time and I wish you all much happiness, peace and love in Puerto Rico.  You are truly fortunate.

PS - I pray for the island and her people daily because it is atrocity that one the US system treats the island as they do, but thats politics.  I apologize for that. 

Mark

You can take over my lease in San Sebastián.  :)

You can live confortable on that budget. In the western part of the island, unless you arr looking at bech property or high end places, you can find a decent house or apartment for under $600/mo. I will check clasificadosonline or the friends of rincón group in fb.

You should talk with WesternPRguy and any expat that lives in the west, they may know of rentals right up your alley.

500-600 for a house is very doable if you stay away from tourist areas.
As long as you are careful with the electric use, specially the air conditioner, your utilities sound doable, however the Internet may stretch your budget.
150-200 maybe a little hard but as retired military you can always visit the military base and buy some stuff there.
A little yard and you can grow some of the produce you like but it takers some time obviously, so produce from street sellers by the side of the road and supplement some from supermarkets.
Gas depends on how much you drive.
You mentioned 15-20k, yes that will cary you nicely if careful with your expenses. You mentioned you are retired military, is that part of the 15k or is that from your savings?
Once Social security kicks in you will be all set.

I think that is an accurate budget.  My rent for a typical suburban place, 4 bedroom, safe neighborhood is $550.

westernprguy wrote:

You can take over my lease in San Sebastián.  :)

You heading back to the states?

Rey, thanks a million for the feedback.  Not retired military, just an 8 year total vet.  Still entitles me to VA healthcare thank goodness.  I agree with everything you said, and of course I failed to mention I would need cellular service to keep in touch with the kids back home (we all need cell phones).  As I said, I hope to find something part-time, not picky.  There are a few IT companies in the Western area as well, so who knows maybe I can get a gig.  My primary concern is that I can stretch myself if I can't get a part-time job and it sounds like if I am frugal I will be fine.

Also have family in Arecibo (my wife's but they still  love me) so I can eat there. 

Be well mate, thanks again.

Mark

Never!  Moving to my farm in Las Marias full time.

Speaking of which, I was looking at San Sebastian and Sabana Grande.  Any farther south and it gets a little dry for my liking (Below Cabo Rojo).  Is the drive terrible from San Sebastian to Mayaguez?  When you are leaving and why if I may ask?

Also,  guys, what do you think of apartment listings on Craigslist. Here in the states its a real crap shoot, but from what I can see they seem largely legit in PR West.  Of course there is Point2homes which is a great site with legit realtors  thoughts?

Your killing me, your living the life I could only dream of.  I would do anything to get out of here immediately.  Good for you and Las Marias is wonderful, anywhere on the West is wonderful.  Congrats.....

Would love to keep in touch here, I will need all the contacts I can get.

mlgreiner13 wrote:

Rey, thanks a million for the feedback.  Not retired military, just an 8 year total vet.  Still entitles me to VA healthcare thank goodness.  I agree with everything you said, and of course I failed to mention I would need cellular service to keep in touch with the kids back home (we all need cell phones).  As I said, I hope to find something part-time, not picky.  There are a few IT companies in the Western area as well, so who knows maybe I can get a gig.  My primary concern is that I can stretch myself if I can't get a part-time job and it sounds like if I am frugal I will be fine.

Also have family in Arecibo (my wife's but they still  love me) so I can eat there. 

Be well mate, thanks again.

Mark

Use either T-mobile or ATT for your phone, use the data from the phone as your Internet service. Ask family in Aguadilla if they can put you up for a week or two until you find a place, see what they say.

I use Sprint for cell and hotspot and never had any issues. I will recommend getting the plan in the mainland, better plans than the ones offered in the island.
Mi house is in Sabana Grande, 15-20 minutes drive to Mayaguez. We are aproximate 20 minutes to Boqueron and La Parguera. Rental prices will be lower since it is not a tourist area. You can find a house for less than $500/month in a good area of town, we love to go to the ice cream shop in town in the evenings. Lower crime area as well, we feel very save around town. As per the weather, we get rain at least 1 day a week, mostly in the early afternoons. It's been like that since last September. If you are looking at buying, I look at some nice properties around town for under $70K in very nice conditions to give you an example of prices. Rental example: 3/1 in Urbanization San Isidro goes for $375/mo.

Fantastic information, thank you so much for the feedback.  So helpful...

quite doable, on your propose budget. My wife and I live in Isabela, previously, we lived in the Rincon interior. For me, I prefer to live outside the congested areas. If you prefer the "urban" lifestyle, you can easily find a place, but the places off the beaten path can be had for less. Save money, grow some of your own food, and save even more $.

As for the apologies, and politics... I won't comment, except to say... yep, you are from New York.

What about a farm in Las Marias on a rent with options to buy?  Send me a personal message for more info.
Pitorro

Not sure I am able to become a farmer, but send me the info.  Sounds intriguing and I know the area well.

Use private messages for contact info please

You read me well sir!  Thanks for this information, very valuable......Working on changing my wicked ways...

Understood...