Bringing car to Malta?

Hey guys,

We're thinking of bringing our cars with us to Malta when registering as an ordinary resident. From my research it appears there may be import tax on cars that haven't been owned personally for more than 2 years - is this correct? Any way around avoiding these charges (€18,000 in total) :-/

portal1985 wrote:

Hey guys,

We're thinking of bringing our cars with us to Malta when registering as an ordinary resident. From my research it appears there may be import tax on cars that haven't been owned personally for more than 2 years - is this correct? Any way around avoiding these charges (€18,000 in total) :-/

This subject has been covered many times before, if you look at previous posts you will find the info you need.

Search back its widely covered and do your own maths.

For me it was it was about 12k less to pay off my 6 month old car UK hire purchase and bring here even with the registration tax (its not import duty) than buying a like for like new one here.

Everyone is different, different cars, ages etc, carefully do the math and speak to local dealers to see what a new one will cost. 

More or less as a rule 2nd hand cars here are not worth considering, been in prangs, badly maintained by terrible mechanics etc, impossible to get service records etc.  So if you're someone who likes good cars and not just a rubbish run around, it might still be worth it.

Got it, thanks Volane.