Car Insurance

Hello Everyone,

What car insurance are you with and can you provide your agents contact information?

Most people use the state car insurance you pay that when you get your tags and marbete sticker. It is liability and covers the other guy, not you. There are plenty of independent agents that will get you either liability, full coverage or custom coverage. They also will cover your house or renters insurance. If you get insurance thru an agent, do not pay the state insurance, just show them your coverage papers and you are all set.
By the way I hid your second post about car insurance, it was a duplicate of this one. Management will delete it soon.

Do you recommend any companies or how do I find them? Google not help full.

Try these guys, they are independent agent, I am in the states so not using any one. https://www.segurosmultiples.com/index.html

Can someone on the island help in this area? Please.

I may be getting a new car soon... thanks Rey!

I have MAPFRE for both condo and car. This is the contact information for my agent.
Kathy Burleson
Administrative Assistant
Palmas Insurance, Corp
295 Palmas Inn Way Suite 119-C
Palmas Del Mar
Humacao, PR 00791
Tel. 787-850-9209; Fax. 787-852-6941
[email protected]

I am located in Isabela area and I used an agent named Eric Vera (787) 475-5895

If you are active military, USSA will insurance you in the island. For non active members they can only finance your new or used car. I use seguros multiples for our car. I t was around $2500 for five years full coverage.

I've been looking too. My agent said he'd get back to me with a quote for 2 cars.... that was about 2 weeks ago. I tried to go to Mapfre website but I guess my cars are too old. It would only allow me to get a quote for a 2009 or newer. Anyone else have that problem?

Most insurance companies in the island won't insure older vehicles. Have you tried seguros multiples? I can't even get riad assistance for my older jeep.

So what happens if you get in an accident and someone gets badly hurt? How much the standard insurance you get with the marbete covers?

It only covers damages to vehicles up to $4K, no personal insurance coverage. So you will need to get additional insurance if you want personal insurance. The irony is that almost no insurance company in the island will cover older vehicles.

I just filled out a quote on their website. Also, sent my broker another message and he said he'd have something for me tomorrow. Hopefully he does because that site just gave me some guys' number after all that work. Waste of time.

But that makes sense.... Probably the reason you can buy a nice car for cheap. Nobody really wants to pay out of pocket to fix a lexus due to it being too old for insurance. PR, learned something new.

Adlin, You don't happen to remember the cut off year for full coverage do you? We are currently looking for a used vehicle to purchase. If you don't remember it's fine, I will call around, just thought I'd ask while we are on the topic. Cheers.

Sorry I don't. I can tell you that they won't insure my 1995 jeep or my cousin 2000 Ford Explorer.

I'm pretty sure this Lexus I just bought is out of the question then, being a 2002. NOW I see why I've seen so many doctors and what not offing their luxury cars for pretty low. TO replace common parts is expensive. Good thing I'm handy. Sheesh.

Parts and labor is not too expensive in the island. You can also order parts on line, that will be cheaper as well. I had my jeep tune up done for $50 the last time we were in the island. The guy replaced plugs, cables and installed a new carb. When I went to pick it up, he clean the engine and told me he did it because it was dirty and didn't change for it. Perks of living in a small town.

I always order online. Amazon is ridiculously slow on the island however. I ordered a cabin air filter March 9th... WITH PRIME, and it's coming tomorrow. SMH, ridiculous! Rockauto is great though, usually here in 3-4 days.

Thanks for the heads up! What town were you in?

We live in Sabana Grande part time, hopefully we will be 100% in the island after May. I will suggest check on the local auto parts. My experience being that I find better prices and help in the local store. They will usually go the extra mile to help you find what you need.

adlin20 wrote:

Parts and labor is not too expensive in the island. You can also order parts on line, that will be cheaper as well. I had my jeep tune up done for $50 the last time we were in the island. The guy replaced plugs, cables and installed a new carb. When I went to pick it up, he clean the engine and told me he did it because it was dirty and didn't change for it. Perks of living in a small town.

That is cheap, I spend over 200 for a tuneup, changing carburetor would be extra.

Rey,

Those are the perks of small towns, I found an older mechanic close to the house. This guy works out of his backyard, does good work and go the extra mile. I have no complaints so far.

Btwy, I work out with my employer to let me finish my contract remotely, so we'll be moving to the island permanently by mid May. Will have to travel back to California every few months for a week at a time.

adlin20 wrote:

Rey,

Those are the perks of small towns, I found an older mechanic close to the house. This guy works out of his backyard, does good work and go the extra mile. I have no complaints so far.

Btwy, I work out with my employer to let me finish my contract remotely, so we'll be moving to the island permanently by mid May. Will have to travel back to California every few months for a week at a time.

KOOL

We are moving to the Island this summer and did research and we are please with MAPFRE rates. Very comparable to the states.

Thank you for the information. It helps when someone on the Island and has information.

So how does one get insurance for antique cars if no one on the island will insure them? I see several old cars around, are they driving without insurance?

BearNVa wrote:

So how does one get insurance for antique cars if no one on the island will insure them? I see several old cars around, are they driving without insurance?

Liability insurance is included on your license renewal. You are covered up to $4K on liability insurance with the government offered one. Not much but that's all that the law requires. Most newer cars will have additional insurance thru some of the local companies. Not everyone goes this route thou. We took a full cover insurance for our 2016 Tucson, it was $2500 for 5 years. Not bad, lower than ours in the mainland.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello, Good to know.... I may advise that this site almost banned me from stating my services for expats years ago... as I was not really familiar with their rules... We cannot advertise :( 
I appreciate your work and I imagine many others will too!  best of luck to you

The mandatory insurance they sell at the DMV is a ripoff.  Only 4k coverage, if you get in an accident and it's your fault, you're screwed.

Go to an insurance office, buy a real policy with good liability coverage.  They give you proof of coverage that you take to the DMV when you renew the marbet (sp?) They waive the mandatory coverage and you have peace of mind that you have good coverage.   :cool:

Before 1990, mandatory liability insurance was not a requirement in Puerto Rico and you had lots of uninsured motorists out there. I had the unfortunate experience to get hit by an individual without insurance coverage. At least something's out there now. $4k limit is not much but that'll take care of many claims.