Follow all our news on Facebook!

Huatulco area mid-level accommodations, safety, transportation

Hello. Planning to go from luxury digs in Nuevo Vallarta Oct 1-Dec 31 2017 to Huatulco on Jan 1 2018 for 3 months. Maybe longer, if I decide to get a residente visa (and can you get that while on a 180 day tourist visa in Mexico, and how long is the process in-country?). My husband may or may not be with me (might part ways Jan 1 for a while). I am female, 70, and an extremely experienced traveler, semi-fluent in Spanish.

Looking for something that is basic furnishings (flat, condo or hotel) and that does not need to be on the beach but is pretty safe (by Mexican standards) and friendly and MUST have air conditioning and internet (everything else is only a plus). A cabana wouldn't suit me, as I just can't take the heat and humidity, even in winter. A good 2 to 3 star hotel would be OK with me as long as it is not Mariachi bands and filled with borachos all day and all will get my drift on that, maybe.

How is transportation around the area and between villages?

I was in Huatulco last in the late 1980s when it was just getting off the ground. Love the jungle. I know I will be shocked at the development. Any advice as to towns up or down the coastline that are good alternatives, where I might find what I describe?


Hi white umbrella.

The residency visa has to start at the Mexican counsel in the states, so you might want to check into that before you leave. You can email them for the requirements.

I thought someone might know how to do it from within the country instead of starting the process in the home country. Sigh. Thank you very much.

I think ,it's the can you afford to live here thing. It's pretty quick, and fairly easy. Once you have a temporary , getting a permanent can be done here. Please talk with them about current rules, things change and some times they actually get easier. My information is about a year old.

Good luck and hang in there.

Thanks. I'll check the consulate site again and keep asking questions of expats, Much appreciated!

To acquire a Residente Temporal  (RT) or Residente Permanente  (RP) you have to initiate the process at a MX consulate in  the US. The RT can be issued for a max of four years (A combination of 1, 2, 3 year increments totaling four years). Renewals may be done in MX. After four years you can apply for a RP in MX at an Instituto Nacional de Migración  (INM) office. I know of one instance where an individual applying for an initial RT at a MX consulate in  the US upon presenting their financial data  the MX consular officer allowed them to immediately apply for a RP. Mind you, this is at the discretion of individual consular officers.

If your intent is to only remain in MX for less than six months increments perhaps a tourist visa is best initially.  The RT/RP allows you to have MX bank accounts, drivers license, purchase a car and if over 6o years of age an INAPAM card which will get you discounts; particularly on major over the road buses  (50%).

Thank you very much for this advice. There are a lot of advantages for me at 70 years old to get a RT/RP visa because of the medical and bank accounts and such. Appreciated!

I normally stay at the Castillo hotel. Located right by Marina Huatulco in Santa Cruz . Very clean, excellent staffs, it has AC and internet, a nice swimming pool. All the taxi rate are indicated by location in the hotel lobby. Last time I was there from Santa Cruz to La Cruciceta was 20 pesos ($2) . So no need to try to barter the price like you have to in Mazatlan or other tourist traps.

No Mariachi band there LOL, very quiet, they have free shuttle to their own beach ( Baha Chahue) 5 minutes away, or Me I walk to their beach it is only 15 to 20 minutes walk, a good healthy way to see some of the stores near by. They serve food at the beach with a descent buffet, and drinks of course.

The hotel is occupied by 85 % locals and 15 % tourist. Not sure about their monthly rate, as I normally stay there a few weeks when I get tired of being on My boat.
Hope that helps you.
Good luck.

Thank you so much! All great info, much appreciated.

Unless you plan to move household goods, serial tourist cards may work out.
You go to a biorder crossing point every 180 days, checkout and request a new tourist card.  If refused you may need to stay overnight from 1 to 3 nights or shioft change.  There has been quite a few exchanges on bewteen people who have been doing it for years.

For me, the biggest advantages of residency have been bus fares and cheap/free emergency medical care.  If you have health issues keeping medicare and a supplement covering emergency hospitalization might be worthwhile.

To "whiteumbrella" :

Just to let you know that you are looking at a long long haul on mexican road from Puerto Vallarta to Huatulco. I have travelled Mexico by RV and buses so be aware that the average speed would be around 50kmh or 30mph on the michoacan coast  (no new roads) the same from PV to Melaque it takes about 5 to 6 hours. .

A bus ride from PV to ZIHUATANEJO is 16 hours.

Buena suerte para su proyecto de viaje, GyC.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Mexico

Flights to Mexico

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mexico