Should you be able to help, do reply to this thread. Thank you.

Hi everyone.

I understand that my private inbox is locked as I sent 'copy and paste' messages to my intended recipients. Wish to apologize for my ignorance but I am not a spammer ya☺ I was advised to post my question in a forum instead and was promised that my inbox will be unlocked. Sobs. I hope so too.

Should anyone be able to provide with your kind advice, would appreciate it.

I would like to help a friend of mine. Currently, he is into the last lap of completing his masters in science, communication engineering at university islam antarabangsa malaysia. He is holding onto a student visa (which subjects to yearly renewal) and syrian passport. He is registered under the UNHR.

Would it be difficult for him to get a job in sg? What would you advice him before making plans to come to sg?

Chances are next to nil. First and foremost a foreigner with no experience to find a job is highly difficult. Secondly, visit the Ministry of Manpower (MoM) website and check if this university is recognised by MoM as well as the course? Thirdly, why he is not trying to get a job where he is studying?

Better tell him to get at least few years of experience then try here, probability of getting a call from an employer may increase to some extent. Good luck.

"Chances are next to nil."
(Ok Surya. Thank u for yr honesty.)

"First and foremost a foreigner with no experience to find a job is highly difficult."
(He is working full time at an international school in malaysia as an IT support staff.)

"Secondly, visit the Ministry of Manpower (MoM) website and check if this university is recognised by MoM as well as the course?"
(Thank u Surya. Appreciate yr kind advice.)

Thirdly, why he is not trying to get a job where he is studying?
(At the moment, he is trying to convert his student visa to a work visa. It isn't easy. It would be the third or fourth time as previous application weren't successful. I'm not too sure how the employment system works in malaysia. I understand that priority goes to the locals. It's understandable. Nonetheless, thanks for yr input.)

"Better tell him to get at least few years of experience then try here, probability of getting a call from an employer may increase to some extent. Good luck.
(Tks Surya. Appreciate yr reply ya. If u dnt mind me asking, are u a local? If no, why did u choose to live and work in sg? And how did u go about doing it?)

I can see from your profile that currently you are living in SG, so by now you must understand how difficult to get a working visa for a foreigner. By your statement, your friend is struggling to get a Malaysia working visa where he did his masters and currently working as a part time, so imagine how difficult it would be to get a working visa here.

I'm a foreigner, living here since 2007. I was working in an international bank in U.K., before transferred to SG. That's how I came here. Thanks.

"I can see from your profile that currently you are living in SG, so by now you must understand how difficult to get a working visa for a foreigner."
(I am a Singaporean, Surya. Honestly, all these things are pretty new and overwhelming at times😓)

"By your statement, your fri bf is struggling to get Malaysia working visa where he did his masters and working part time, so imagine how it would be difficult to get a working visa here."
(P.S. He is my friend not bf🙂 I feel sad as I wanna help but I know there'll be lots of challenges. Nonetheless, thank u for yr time.)

I'm a foreigner, living here since 2007. I was working in an international bank in U.K., before transferred to SG. That's how I came here. Thanks.
(I am happy for u Surya. May u n yr family be happy always.)

I typed friend, it was typed as fri bf.. nevertheless I amended the typo. Thanks and you too have a great time with your family.

Aha. It is ok Surya. Tks once again☺

Persevere:
It is very nice that you try help your Syrian friend. Their country is one of the saddest places in the world right now and they need all the assistance they can get - unfortunately they aren't really welcome in many other places, either.
As you may know, Singapore does not recognise or accept any refugees, even from war-torn countries. It welcomes only those who benefit Singapore economically (and calls this meritocracy).  Thus your friend needs to speak English or Chinese and have skills (education) and experience (min. 3 years work) that Singapore needs to get a work visa.
I hope he can get an opportunity elsewhere!

"Persevere:
It is very nice that you try help your Syrian friend. Their country is one of the saddest places in the world right now and they need all the assistance they can get - unfortunately they aren't really welcome in many other places, either.
As you may know, Singapore does not recognise or accept any refugees, even from war-torn countries. It welcomes only those who benefit Singapore economically (and calls this meritocracy).  Thus your friend needs to speak English or Chinese and have skills (education) and experience (min. 3 years work) that Singapore needs to get a work visa.
I hope he can get an opportunity elsewhere!"

(Hi Beppi. Tks for yr reply. I agree with u. It saddens me to see innocent children and people being killed each day all in the name of war. They do not deserve this. However, I pray that all of these will end soon and may they have the strength to pull through these difficult times.

My friend is able to speak and write in English fluently and has a few years of working experience in an International school in KL.

Nonetheless, I understand how difficult it is going to be if u come from the middle east. They are being labelled as extremists or terrorists or isis or . . . even when they are not. Islam never teaches us to harm one another. What is even sad is that western media will always use terms such as 'islamic terrorists' or 'islamic militants'. Terrorism is not part of Islam. Likewise, terrorists are not equal to Islam.

It is important for us to understand the context and not take selective verses and come up with ones own interpretation🙂 Sometimes when I look at how the people of Rohingyas and Palestineans are being treated, it made me think who are the extremists or terrorists. This is the sad reality of life but faith keeps us going no matter how difficult it is  for us to comprehend at times.

Pardon me for side tracking. Thank u Beppi. Appreciate yr reply🌷