Best neighborhood to live

Brazilian greetings!

I am Samuel, an Applied Mathematician, soon to move from Brazil to Malta, for work purposes.
It will be my wife, our newborn baby and myself.
Sure 'best neighborhood to live' is a very relative approach.
The office is somewhere around Sliema, Ta' Xbiex.
Researching we have listed some neighborhoods we imagine may be a great fit:
- Birkirkara;
- Floriana;
- Gharghur;
- Gzira;
- Hamrun;
- Iklin;
- Msida;
- Pembroke;
- Pieta;
- San Gijan;
- San Gwann;
- Santa Venera;
- Sliema;
- Swieqi;
- Ta' Xbiex;
- Valletta.
For at least 1 year we will not own a car there.
Our main criteria for a neighborhood to stand out are:
- Minimum distance from best:
   - hospitals/health services;
   - drugstores/pharmacies;
   - markets;
   - bakeries.
- Newest buildings;
- View;
- 1000 euros for all housing expenses (rent + bills).

Considering these 'ideas', what is your take on 'best neighborhood to live' in Malta?
Thank you in advance for your attention and disposition in reading up to here.

Sam

Have you visited here? Research don't tend to mean anything I am afraid, all you'd find is out of date information and oppinions that don't match your needs or background.  you have to visit and see

First of all, I totally agree with volcane! Often, it's not the neighbourhood but the block / street you live in that makes all the difference.

Secondly, I'm not sure if your criteria are realistic: e.g. new building in Sliema for max. 1000 will be very hard to find!

For a rough idea of what's on the market and real prices, it's best to check some of the facebook sites ("rent in Malta" or the likes, there are several dedicated groups...), NOT the websites of the agencies - they are ALL out of date and DON'T REFLECT the actual property market!!! (This has been discussed here many times - you might want to use the search function on this site).

Volcane and Bernie, thank you for your feedback.
I have been researching and browsing the forum for some time.
Maybe my consultation will work better on its negative version, because during April we will be staying at a hotel and visiting areas, to really feels what they may be like. Then having some directions of what scenarios to avoid will narrow down the possibilities for us.
From the listed areas which would be:
- more than 30 minutes away by bus during rush hour?
- with more than 80% of their buildings with 15 or more years of age?
- with more than 80% of their buildings with 1000 or more euros per month to rent an apartment?
And some objective questions:
- Which are the top 3 hospitals in the country? Are they similar to each other? Does one of them differentiate itself in technical quality?
- Are there 24/7 amenities in areas other than Valletta, Sliema or St Julian's?

Please, do notice that my consultation does not expect fact-checked answers (a best guess at the most). With some opinions together with my research, I will be able to come up with a 'on-the-ground' roadmap to assess scenarios in person.

Once again, thank you for your attention up to here.

Sam

- you often don't move at all for 30 minutes by road
- maybe portomaso or Pembroke heights and around there but they are not 30 minutes and not flats nowhere else
- as above
- lol you think there are that many hospitals
- varies

Maybe try less "mathematician" approach tbh. Nothing is as clear cut and your questions suggest you have very little idea what you are in for :)

I think you may be in for a bit of a shock when you see Malta!

Ray

It is best to come and see. We tried the same approach researching everything before we came, and although that is good a lot of the info online is outdated. Especially the prices of homes. Do not check the real estate agency websites and think the prices listed are the actual prices. Sometimes you just need to get a feel of the place when you are here. Malta is not that big so getting to know it in a few days isn't a big challenge. You will soon learn what is the right place for you.

1000 euro is an ok budget though and you can find a decent apartment in a good area with this if you aren't looking for something too luxurious.

Charmender, thank you very much for your approach. ;-)