Lệ Quyên

Finally figured why I don't like most Vietnamese singers much.  Lệ Quyên can both perfectly carry a tune, get the tones perfect and on top of that has an absolutely beautiful voice.

There are a few more like her. But, too many of them just can't sing like Lệ Quyên

Oh my... U talk just like my papa. He is once of Lệ Quyên's fan :-) . He had all most album of her and made us listen to her everyday.
If u like Lệ Quyên, I think u will love singers in our Golden Music era (about 1960-1970). For me, I prefer Khánh Ly the most. Nowaday, yeah, no one can sing like all singers before.

You are right. My wife and I left Viet Nam on the 19th of April 1975 toward the start of the Evacuation of Sai Gon. I think what attracts both of us to Lệ Quyên's singing, apart from how wonderfully she sings, is that her singing reminds us of the singers of the 1960s and 1970s who sang both Vietnamese and American music of the same time frame.

The world has changed. Today's Viet Nam and today's America have become true friends despite our differences. My wife and I both served in and lived through the war together. Husband/Wife and "War Buddies."

Yes, like my papa once said, we all have a past but right now, I think the world have change to be better. Maybe i'm from different generation so my thoughts different but I still truely love all the history. 'Cause it make who u r, isn't it?

"but right now, I think the world have change to be better." is a sweet thought. If true, it would be great.

70 years old wrote:

"but right now, I think the world have change to be better." is a sweet thought. If true, it would be great.

U right. But what can I do if I don't dream for a world to be better? I only have dream that can be free for me. We all have to suffered in different way, it's just different for me and u. I hope u find a better view to seeing the world, maybe u can see more things beautiful in the world to enjoy <3 <3

lilith235 wrote:

Yes, like my papa once said, we all have a past but right now, I think the world have change to be better. Maybe i'm from different generation so my thoughts different but I still truely love all the history. 'Cause it make who u r, isn't it?

I haven't talked to many older Vietnamese, but I am sure your papa has witnessed a lot of positive changes in his lifetime in his country. Modernization, health care, economy, foreign trade, opportunities for young people.

Years ago their was a night school, K-12, for children who had to work during the day to help support their family. Being able to hand out little award gifts to those children is one of the most beautiful things that we have lived through. We also helped pay for some of the children's school books and some of the little pay that the teachers received.

Now days all children must attend school during at least during the first six grades. My wife had to quit school and go to work helping support her family before she could finish the third grade. Helping those kids wasn't dreaming. . .

i agree

gobot wrote:
lilith235 wrote:

I haven't talked to many older Vietnamese, but I am sure your papa has witnessed a lot of positive changes in his lifetime in his country. Modernization, health care, economy, foreign trade, opportunities for young people.

It's true! My papa born and grown up with all the things happened is our country. Sometimes when we sit together, he usually told me about the past, how things different from his era. He told me how he was when he was same age as me. All good and bad memories made him today, my great papa!
But if I have to say the truth, maybe because of that, he taught me strictly than other my sister... but I still appriciated. If not him, I think I never became "me" today!

lilith235

I'm guessing that You are rather young. A wish is safe, comfortable and can make us feel happy. But, by it's self, a wish that the world get's better doesn't make the world any better. People like your father work very hard at various jobs making the world a better place. Making the world a better place is hard work and a big responsibility.

Viet Nam, thanks to people like your father is a much better place now than it was years ago. Perhaps as a child he had to work to help keep his family from being hungry. Perhaps not. If your father was one of those children who worked very hard every day, perhaps, after working hard all day, he cared enough and other people cared enough to have a school that working children could attend after working hard all day. If so, those working children could spend part of the night working hard to get an education.

Those kids and their teachers who mostly didn't get paid for their work are my heroes. My wife and I were honored to be able to help those working children and the generous school teachers.

We were able to help. BUT, we are not the ones who had a dream, turned that dream into a plan and then made the plan into a real school. Those people are real heroes.