Best usages and practices in Spain

Hello everyone,

Living in Spain means learning new ways of doing things and incorporating to your daily life unique practices.

We invite you to share unique practices, tools or methods that could also make a difference in other countries.
Here are a few examples of the best practices found throughout the world. In France, a health chipcard makes medical procedures easier and faster. In Japan's train stations people queue patiently and orderly. In most parts of North America drivers can turn right at a cross road, even if the traffic light is red. And many countries manage their waste with sorting techniques and colored bins.

What about you? have you found innovative and useful practices or services that make daily life simpler in Spain?

Thank you for your contribution.

Priscilla

Don't go to the bakers every day. Don't go for missa every day
Don't invite all the family for paella on Sundays. 

Life would be so easy for you.

There is nothing that the Spanish do that we copy except in summer I do take a nap in the afternoon.

Barnie,

Am I detecting Spanish antipathy? I love the naps, life style, fiestas, freedom of expression, literacy, acceptance, and especially the importance of communication and inclusion. My wife is Spanish and we rarely go to bakeries, and only occasionally have family paellas. But I am from the USA, perhaps you are from a more idyllic place.

You have to go with the flow in Spain and the first thing to get used to is shop opening hours.  It can be frustrating at times when you realise that you are too late, the shops are shut and you have to wait for them to open again at 5 o'clock.  So best practice is to go early and get what you need and enjoy a quiet period in the afternoon.  However, in the high summer months it all makes sense.  Shopping before the heat and humidity really kick in is a great idea and in the afternoon, take a cool shower, close the shutters and take a nap - it's bliss. 
In my view, best practice for living in Spain is to resist the temptation to join a British ghetto and pretend you simply live in another warmer Britain.  Try your best to learn the language, join in with fiestas and other social events and make friends with your locals.  If you have children, don't send them to an English school or a school that has a large number of British children.  The likelihood is they will find it easy to group together, speaking English.  It can be tough on kids at first - my 11 year old stepson didn't even know how to ask where the toilets were on his first few days but 12 months later he was totally fluent in both Castilian and Catalan. He now has his own son who was fluent at both languages when he was 4 years old, just by attending a mixed play group.
You don't have to give up your Marmite, cheddar cheese, Baked Beas and other British staples but invite your Spanish friends to visit and sample some of the thing that are traditionally British but perhaps almost unknown to locals who will probably enjoy tasting these odd things (or not in the case of Marmite).  Best practice for living anywhere abroad is trying hard not to become a little Englander,

I've learnt to be very relaxed and things will happen, for example government and local council is very slow, don't expect results instantly and be prepared to be told that you need to go to a different department first for a form, before you visit that department, but when you get there, your sent some where else, so don't make a fool of yourself and get all wound up, it wont get you anywhere apart from closer to your day of reckoning, due to the stress you encounter, go with the flow and chill.
Also make friends with the locals and learn the language, they are a good source of information, and don't be afraid to ask for help and advice from different sources, only your arrogance and stubbornness will hold you back.
Remember your in some one else's country be prepared for change.
much love and happiness Andrew.

It's a great question because at the moment I'm back in Australia after a while in Spain. When I return from Spain I feel different in the way I think, the things I like to eat, the size of the meals I like to eat, the way I do things, and quite surprisingly even the way I dress.

In my particular circle of friends and community I have lived within Spain, these people are very relaxed, cheerful and enjoy life. It rubs off on me and I'm definitely more cheerful and free spirited after spending a great deal of time with them.
I think Spanish people tend not to focus on problems and have a zest for life and enjoying the moment.

One of the things I have 'borrowed' from Spain is how they do breakfast- very simple. I had a daily ritual of going to the cafe downstairs from my apartment and would have tostada con tomate y queso currado (tomato toast with cheese) and a coffee.
It was very simple but it was very satisfying and it's something I love to have here in Australia.

The siesta was something which frustrated me a little at first, especially when you need to get things done. It's correct to say that you realise that if you need to get things done, you must do them first thing in the morning. But actually I came to appreciate the siesta hours because I have an autoimmune health issue which causes fatigue some days. Being able to have a siesta and not feel guilty about it is perfect. Now that I'm back in Australia, I work for myself and sometimes I make a siesta after lunch and go back to work until the evening. It works very nicely for me.

In terms of dress and style, in my opinion, Australians dress quite conservatively and I feel that when I'm in Spain, women are particular about dressing up, being feminine and this had an influence on me and the effort I put into my wardrobe and appearance.

Overall, coming back to Australia people notice that I'm more relaxed, happy and had a style upgrade hehehe.

Life in Spain is, basically, very similar to my former life in the UK. There are detail differences like eating times, shop opening times, different bureaucracy but basically they are variations on a theme.  the country is safe, organised, water comes out of taps and rubbish gets taken away. Shops have things on sale, people have freedom of religion and freedom to express their view. The democratic system is sound, officials and politicians are responsible to the electorate and the judicial system functions. All of it could be improved but the same could be said about the USA, the UK or Australia.

Thinking about best practice the Health Service seems to be pretty good. There are always people who have bad experiences but healthcare seems to be very efficient. Internet systems for booking appointments and electronic sign in systems when you get to a hospital also seem to be pretty common so that the new technologies are being used to take some of the hassle out of the system.

Transport is good. Flat fares on urban buses makes life simple. The trains are cheap, clean and efficient and coaches will still get you to most out of the way places.

Queues were mentioned. Spaniards aren't big on standing in line but the system of "Who's the last" works remarkably well once you know that it exists.

Some traffic law here is bizarre, like the technique for traffic roundabouts, but the system of turning into a little semicircular road to cross a main road always seems like a good system to me as it doesn't leave you exposed in the middle of the road.

The car ITV test always strikes me as a good system too. The cars go forward through a series of tests and the purpose of each test is obvious.

Official Internet sites were notoriously pathetic but they seem to have come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. Just before I wrote this I applied online for a renewal of my European health card and the confirmatory email has already arrived.

Worst practice exists in relation to employment. Adverts for jobs are often discriminatory. Contracts are opaque, pay is low, small scale corruption is rife (cash in hand) and employers seem to do more or less as they please to their workforce.

There's lots more but that'll do for my two pennorth.