Best usages and practices in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

Living in Saudi Arabia means learning new ways of doing things and incorporating to your daily life unique practices.

We invite you to share unique practices, tools or methods that could also make a difference in other countries.
Here are a few examples of the best practices found throughout the world. In France, a health chipcard makes medical procedures easier and faster. In Japan's train stations people queue patiently and orderly. In most parts of North America drivers can turn right at a cross road, even if the traffic light is red. And many countries manage their waste with sorting techniques and colored bins.

What about you? have you found innovative and useful practices or services that make daily life simpler in Saudi Arabia?

Thank you for your contribution.

Priscilla

Hi Prescilla. Let me say this: your topics are always great. You must have worked as a teacher (knowledge-sharer) at some point in your life 😊. The best thing you can do in Saudi Arabia' work environment is to avoid criticizing your fellow workers' ideas, plans or methods. If you have to do it for the good of the work, you have to be very careful in your selection of words.

There is no such thing as best practice in Saudi arabia....u get practice by living here.

Life is Saudi Arabia, like everywhere else comes with its ups and downs. For expats the most important aspect is to work under a sponsor, get paid, ability to leave the country when he wishes and live a normal life. Most aspects of daily living, I would say can be compared to any other country - with medical insurance cards for medical treatments, free right turn on signals etc the same as you mentioned.

There is however only one aspect of KSA that I would ask others to understand and respect, "Everything has its time, and everything takes its time". Process and application of policy is done differently with each individual and this can be frustrating at times. A bit of good manner, patience and smile can take you a long way at govt offices than being impatient and struggling for it.

Online systems and accesses have made a lot of procedures in KSA  a lot easier than before. Expats can log into Abshir account now for getting most of the services and information. MOFA portal, MOI portal, Labor offices etc are trying to help formalize or bring some sort of an order to the chaotic practices we have now and hopefully in the coming 5 years a lot of the services will be improved.

Respecting the local culture, people and having an understanding of how to get things done , through this forum is what is  helping expats. I have tried other regions and was not fortunate enough to find as much information as I can about in Saudi, from expat forum.

I think unique about Saudi, is this site and forum which is very active and with a lot of helping minds that are providing assistance to a lot of new comers and old with relevant information and help. I think it has become a norm now to post a thread in expat.com if you want to get an answer.

The best practice I see is inside masjid where all rich and poor gather 5 times a day and stand in one line and show great example of unity and discipline.

Thank you HRGuru for this compliment, it is highly appreciated!
Thank you Ehtesham. Indeed, social mixity is somehow an implicit best practice, if not a ruled one.

hi priscilla,

I am active with our profesisional organization. Helping others to improve their lives here in Kingdom or in Our country.

If you are going to Saudi Arabia Must do the following.

01. Bring Books (Story) & class (Supportive books) for your kids.
02. Purchase glass & Frames in India ----Very Cheap. Very very Cheap.
02A. Detal clean -- by dentist - only 250Rs in India -- In saudi 250 Riyal.
02B. Donate Blood ===
02C. Behind your Iqama / Insurence / Key ring / Driving Licence --- Paste your Mobile number on small Paper....If you will loose/miss ---People will call and return you.
02D. When taking your kids out ---put ID card on their neck as well mobile numbers in their pockets....If possible tell them to remember your Mobile number -------This will help too much in Saudi.
03. Station materials for Kids (Rubber/Pensils/Pens/ Boxes / Scale / Kids shoes etc)
04. Homeopathic medicines & other medicines.
05. Meet with your doctors.
06. Charity works ----- So that you are sure that money is going to right hands / Beggers / People.
07. Cook some food and give to Beggers...tell relatives to do it every friday. Very cheap ---May be 2 Kg of Rice & Dal . or some fresh puri / roti & vegitables.........Try it........You will really enjoy this.
08. Bring Masalas (Red Chillis ./ Saunf / Indian fresh veg or fruits / Mishri/ Sabja / Isabgoal etc)
09. Strepsil & Vicks inhelers.
10. Order the materials from net (Amezon / Flipkart / Snapdeal etc) and collect when you are in India.
11. Bring CDs for class works and other stuff ...very cheap.
12. Bring practice questions from book shop.....as well guides and question banks.
13. All the study materials. School dress...
14. Criket Bats & playing stuff -----(Not the china made----India made)
15. Foot wears are available on discounted price on net.---Collect from India.
16.Arrange small get-together for lunch/dinner with your family/relatives.
17. "Septiline" Medicine (By Himalaya Company --- 100Rs in India)===Excellent two spoon medicine for kids and adults for cold & Cough during cold time.
18. From Saudi send the medicine "Centrum" - Made in USA ----100Cabsules for 55SAR-----Excellent multivitamin ----Give it as gift to your Parents ----Just use first month 1 everyday then after one month gap then again use one month again one month Gap----Parents bahut dua deinge mujhe bhi------Just an excellent multivitamin-----
19. Bring one Airtel Sim from India ---- It will be working in saudi arabia......(People can send massages from India in just local rate same as philipinos, Then you can also send free sms to india by (Waytosms.com)(160by2.com).....Also can check misscalls from India).

NIce, your Remarkable Notes, Remind me something , Thanks
Bro

I guess Saudi is no much different from any other country in the world. So, just mind your business, fill your time with useful activities, go out meet new people to have fun with.

I personally found Saudi a good chance to take lots of courses in my field and develop a lot of skills beside finishing some projects I was postponing for ages before I come here and have enough free time to do so.