Best usages and practices in Romania

Hello everyone,

Living in Romania means learning new ways of doing things and incorporating to your daily life unique practices.

We invite you to share unique practices, tools or methods that could also make a difference in other countries.
Here are a few examples of the best practices found throughout the world. In France, a health chipcard makes medical procedures easier and faster. In Japan's train stations people queue patiently and orderly. In most parts of North America drivers can turn right at a cross road, even if the traffic light is red. And many countries manage their waste with sorting techniques and colored bins.

What about you? have you found innovative and useful practices or services that make daily life simpler in Romania?

Thank you for your contribution.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

Thanks for the discussion on such a nice topic about easeness in human lives.

Well, according to your question and topic, I am very sad to write that there is nothing special,  inovative and extra ordinary in Romanian public institutes and departments. All departments from visa office to driving Licence authorities, they never give you a time line for your application's result. You have to visit and call again and again to get information from them. Sometimes their reply sucked your mind( when they reply they don't know themsleves too). I read and heared now a days they are improving their departments  and making things computerized. Like now you can apply online visa and second example is online justice court.

Can't think of a single thing in Romania which makes life simpler! Bureaucracy is impenetrable & unlike in the UK, nothing is translated into other EU languages & there is no easy way to find out what you are required to pay for & do to remain within the law. Registering a car is a nightmare, collecting parcels from outside the EU necessitates an 80 k.m round trip to a dump of a Customs office in Pitesti, where after queuing for a ridiculous length of time, you have the pleasure of watching your parcel sliced open for checking. I am fed up of being asked for Notarial copies of documents for no apparent reason. Luckily, the locals in our village are friendly, but there is still a reluctance to point you in the direction of goods/services that you need. It seems that no-one wants to take responsibility for recommending anything in case they get the blame! We are very happy here & live in beautiful countryside, but I tear my hair out frequently trying to progress anything. The word simple does not apply.

i hear you load and clear  service here sucks big time. how many parcels have been sliced open to check what it is to find that they have no idea.

I was last in Romania in 1999 and it seems much remains the same. In my first trip, I learned the art of bribery and standing your ground.