Best usages and practices in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Living in Mexico means learning new ways of doing things and incorporating to your daily life unique practices.

We invite you to share unique practices, tools or methods that could also make a difference in other countries.
Here are a few examples of the best practices found throughout the world. In France, a health chipcard makes medical procedures easier and faster. In Japan's train stations people queue patiently and orderly. In most parts of North America drivers can turn right at a cross road, even if the traffic light is red. And many countries manage their waste with sorting techniques and colored bins.

What about you? have you found innovative and useful practices or services that make daily life simpler in Mexico?

Thank you for your contribution.

Priscilla

edit: I've retyped my message

Hi Priscilla,

I'm a little unclear about the question. lot's of things change when you move to another country. Could you be more specific ?

For instance Mexico suddenly changed their license plates and that created some panic for many, is that an example of what you are asking about ? :)

Hi Priscilla,

I agree with Travel Light, your question is very broad.

I assist expats with affordable health insurance and accessing health services in Mexico. I would not know where to begin answering your question about new rules or habits in health care.

I suggest you provide a specific example and ask people to comment on their experience.

Thanks,
Melanie

Priscilla has edited her message ;)

HI Priscilla & Julien,

Although I understand your question,the examples you use are from first-world nations and do not reflect the reality in Mexico. I suggest you re-frame your message with more of a Mexico- focus in order to get people to share their ideas. 

Thanks,
Melanie

If I understand the intent of the question correctly, I have an idea about the question. Perhaps if we asked  what do you do differently since you moved to Mexico?

What things that were just habit in your other country are now different ? Have you learned things from the change ? is the new change better or worse, harder, or easier ?

There is only one general rule.
As soon as you've arrived, do the things you would normally do when you move into a new town.  Don't put them off.
Find service locations
Driivers license
Car tags
Insurance of every type you may need.
Banking, those with good and bad reputation
doctors and dentists
Light
Phone
Cable
Cell
Taxes (if you have Mexican source income or dividend income from the US or anywhere)

Some specific habits that have developed:
Jaywalking is a way of life - cross when and where you want.  Drivers will stop when you indicate you are crossing but be slow and careful about it.  Topes are good locations because cars back up and there's usually an open area right after the tope.

Don't assume the procedure for anything, even making a bank deposit or mailing a letter is the same as in the US.  Ask well before need.

Find out which companies and ATMs will take your US credit and debit cards, in person or by Internet, some take them in person and/or over the phone but not by Internet.  It may take some effort to foresee what you might but generally, if you take it for granted in the US, it's worth investigating here.  Many doctors and dentists don't accept credit or debit cards.  Many Mexicans, even in smallish cities get their pay, pensions, some other government payments by direct deposit, but most merchants don't take plastic.  For that reason, every 15 days and several other times a year, lines at ATMS are endless for a day or three.

If you are renting, make sure what's included in the rent.  Despite what is required by law, details can vary greatly.  Often, a lease is an excuse to raise the rent when it lapses.  Depending on where you are, even moving across town may be inconvenient enough to remain flexible where you are.

Here's one that is supremely difficult and you should never expect to be 100%.  Learn to trust peoples' word.  But be as sure as you can you understand what their commitment is.  I they say something will be ready by or be done by Tuesday, there is always an except ...  See if you can get them to detail the "excepts."  If not, and you must have something by a certain date, start the effort well before you need it.  I am getting in the habit of having the next month's rent in cash well before it's due, an ATM loan on my credit card or an international bank transfer may be more costly than you want.

Make as many friends/contacts as you can, Mexican and long term expat, as you can.  Owners of businesses you frequent regularly and where you are know are good sources of information like doctors or where to shop for certain items or handling routine transactions you've never done before.

Priscilla,  you post got me to thinking that there should be a forum topic for each one of the items I've listed separate from those details associated with visas and moving.  Crossreference them to similar topics under Visas and Moving.

Really excellent information Gudgrief.

The acceptance or non acceptance of plastic must be area specific, because for the major stores I have had no problem. I bought a bed using U.S. plastic, it required a call to that bank but it worked, and I have had no problems anywhere with Mexican plastic.

My exceptions have been, Office Depot but only Internet and bus companies by Internet.  Oxxo wasn't taking my Chase  credit card for purchase for a long time.  I haven't used it at one in some time.

Restaurants, drugstores, supermarkets, clothing stores, doctors, hospitals and services have all taken my credit card if they took credit cards at all.  Telmex wouldn't take it over the Internet and one cable company wouldn't.

I found that we simplified our life when we moved to Mexico, especially by eliminating the use of a car. We now use our golf cart once or twice a week to drive to town for groceries or laundry. We live in a small enough town that we can walk most everywhere, so we get more exercise. We also have the time to find specialty products to use and other ways to further lighten our "Carbon Footprint" on our planet since we retired in Mexico. If you are interested in reading my blog article "ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT: 10 Ways We Reduced Ours When We Retired in Mexico", you can view it at: retirementbeforetheageof59.blogspot.mx/2017/03/ecological-footprint-10-ways-we-reduced.html

Good point about transport.  For 8 years, taxis, local buses and walking have avoided all expenses of owning a car.  No good place to keep a bike, golf cart or motircycle/ATV.  Transportation cost $6.00 per week or less.

Couldn't you keep a bike in your apartment Gudgrief ?

The guys coming here for repairs often just put their bike just inside the door. It's a very small area taken up.

Mud and all.  Unpaved road for 750 meters, steep busy uphill from town.  Bother to chain it up outside stores etc.  I decided aganst.  Walking healthier.

Off the top of my head I can come up with just one or two unique services we have here that Gudgrief has not covered. It's the way toll roads work. Most toll roads I have used in the past were just toll roads that took your money and that was that.

Here the money you pay includes road service, and they have phones every 500 meters , so you can call them. They arrive quickly, because they are driving up and down the hwy. I have not observed every country, but this was new and reassuring to me.

Having someone available to wash and wax your car in numerous places in the city for a very reasonable cost, is new to me also. I have seen no one who washes cars for $4-5 in the us.

The only thing I can think of, with regard to San Miguel de Allende (and possibly other places), is to consider renting what they call a "quadra-moto" for getting around. It is basically a small four-wheeled ATV that can, in some cases, carry 2 or more people. They are very commonly used here. Some people use them instead of having a car. The cost of ownership is much less. And they handle the rough cobblestone roads very well and are easier to park than a car.

travellight wrote:

Off the top of my head I can come up with just one or two unique services we have here that Gudgrief has not covered. It's the way toll roads work. Most toll roads I have used in the past were just toll roads that took your money and that was that.

Here the money you pay includes road service, and they have phones every 500 meters , so you can call them. They arrive quickly, because they are driving up and down the hwy. I have not observed every country, but this was new and reassuring to me.

Having someone available to wash and wax your car in numerous places in the city for a very reasonable cost, is new to me also. I have seen no one who washes cars for $4-5 in the us.

Toll roads also provide personal accident insurance.  Some don't have phones but you can use 074 from your cellphone to call for help.  Or flag down a car or truck to carry a message to the nearest toll plaza.

Stop at every taco stand and order every type of taco you find.............

Yes, Mexico does know the real tacos, and Baja is developing a well deserved reputation for good tacos, but you might want to pace yourself and show some caution.  :D

If you remember the following two things, you will greatly reduce your stress.
1) When you want something done and a Mexican says 'Manana', they mean 'Not Today' but it doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow.
2) When a Mexican answers 'Si' to a request to do something, it means that they heard you, not that they agree to do it.
''

jhaselwood wrote:

If you remember the following two things, you will greatly reduce your stress.
1) When you want something done and a Mexican says 'Manana', they mean 'Not Today' but it doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow.
2) When a Mexican answers 'Si' to a request to do something, it means that they heard you, not that they agree to do it.
''

Very much so.  BUT.

You can clarify things.  Almost always, if you specify a specific day and time it will be refused or honored or negotiated.  If you say you have to be somewhere at a certain time, repeating with the phrase, "hora americana," you're more like to get acceptable service.

My landlord's handyman brings me garafones of water as part of his job.  If I simply say I want one, he may forget.  If I say, "me urge,"  I need giving it a sense of urgrncy, he reliable in bringing it befor he quits at 9:00 AM.

I am fortunate where I live now when calling for a taxi, When I ask for how long it will take to arrive it's never off by more than 5 minutes.  In other cities, it a can late by as much as  30 min.

Once you get used to it, there's no stress adapting.

I solved my water problem.
For a time I had difficulty after my male family member roommate died. My friend helped by talking with them Mexican man to Mexican man, you know. I couldn't do that because I never saw them, and well I am not a Mexican man. they just stopped coming. 
He saw them over at OXXO.
I added a peso more to the cost, no problem since then. Macho does exist to some extent, yet strong women are very influential, and a small tip always helps.
Note a small tip can be helpful, where as a big one can put you on the rich gringo list, so be selective, and careful about that . Often respect , a smile and Muchas gracias is enough

Hi Melanie,

I'm a Veteran, I thimk that we can use VA Overseas coverage in Mexico. Is this a fact or will it be easier to just get an Independent Ins. Coverage?

Hi Melanie,

I'm a Veteran, I think that we can use VA Overseas coverage in Mexico. Is this a fact or will it be easier to just get an Independent Ins. Coverage?

I am not a veteran but perhaps this will answer your questions.
http://www.benefits.va.gov/persona/veteran-abroad.asp