American Attorney/Mediator/Arbitrator/HR Trainer needs advice

Hi All!

I am new to this Expat.com. My husband and I have decided that we need to escape the rat race and do something really adventurous by moving to NZ! But, we also need to work.

Although I am an attorney, I practice in alternative dispute resolution. I also act as a neutral in employment investigations of complaints.  I am not interested in practicing as an attorney in NZ,  as I would much prefer staying in the Alternative Dispute Resolution or HR area. It could be in-house with a company or with an outside firm providing dispute resolution services.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am not tied to any particular city, so would be interested in your perspective on this as well!

Cheers,
Adrienne

I don't think they are very big on Alternative Dispute Resolutions here.

As far as I know, they only have AMINZ.  It might be worth emailing them to ask about work opportunities.

If their reply is a bit vague, don't be too surprised! 

Moving to NZ can be adventurous, but not always in a good way.  It can be a very big culture shock for some, and not at all how it is portrayed in the tourist brochures. 

I would honestly advise you to check out as many expat sites as you can find.   

Good luck.

I just realised how negative my post sounded.  I guess what I am trying to say is that there is the LOR NZ, and the real NZ. 

It can be a very hard place to live for some people, which is why it is so important to do as much research as possible before coming here.  A year on a temp working visa is often the best way to decide if you want to stay permanently. 

It was 90degrees today and humid.  The house is stifling as central heating and air conditioning are a luxury item here.  Perhaps that is why I am so negative this evening.