How to make friends in Norway

Norway is my favourite country in Europe the locals are friendly in a reserved way and big on outdoor adventure.The Lofoton Islands are a must especially the village of Reine.
Closer to Oslo Bergan is an interesting city.The
Oslo Bergan railway is a great journey as is the Flam railway.
I have a friend in the Aurlasund region with whom I have a long term friendship with this region he lives in is very picturesque suggest you check out Giranger Fijord.
We have been exchanging calenders for 21years!
There  are few rich drunks in Norway as Alcahol tax is around 40 percent!
Norway can be likened to Switzerland with the sea around it.
High number of university graduates especially in the field of Engineering.
Norwegians are typically polite and honest, the country has a very low crime rate so you feel very safe travelling around....just watch out for Musk Ox as they are dangerous they have bears also plus the behaviour of Trolls can be very questionable with all their stomping and shouting...ear plugs recommended.
[email protected]

Lyme
Your ideas for meeting friends are similar to mine such as:-
Kayaking have a sea kayak allows you to get close to nature and meet people of similar mind set....speaking of which meditation is an interesting experience plus the sort people you meet are ...fairly open minded.
Getting involved with a photography group or learning to play a musical instrument in class is good....all these things are good for your mind body and soul.
Bush walking and kayaking opens up photographic opportunities.....as say snow skiing another great way to meet people who want to share fun.
We have a pub here that has a jam session every second Sunday where up and coming muses meet and people who just like to experience something side stream as opposed to mainstream music.
Even riding a push bike and sussing out a good cafe to go to can eventually to meeting friends...if you still feel lonely maybe you can share someone's dog offer to exercise with....people who love animals love a cute dog.
My dog is a Parsons Jack Russell...female and very very cute ....we'll that's what the women tell me...she's a great chick magnet!
We'll good luck and there's SKYPE if you get homesick to experience a closer contact with friends back home.....Skol Allan

thank you very much for accepting me in your eb.

Hello Benjaman,

Welcome to Expat.com!

So, maybe you can give us a brief introduction of yourself? :)

Regards,
Pravin.

I will lack novergen  citizen freand [moderated]
His must be habit to speak English

It's great to see people having discussion on the friends front it certainly has generated a lot of discussion good luck to you all Allan

Thes best thing is to join some Hispanic club or perhaps an international club where all nationalities, including Norwegians, are members - university club or wherever you find such clubs. They tend to be quite good for newly arrived foreigners to be in.

DaniellNY1001 wrote:

I am here in the suburbs of oslo... i am of hispanic background and the looks people give me expands my knowledge of racism... idk if norwegians just have they are face like that but i think they are pretty cold..most old ppl.... but once i speak english they warm right up to me....basically i just went out to the mall...not like there is anything else..... and tried to meet ppl... but still no luck after a year... so here i am

There is an Australian expats group that meets regularly in Oslo they might have contact with Kiwis there to
You can do a search on the net AA? Will find out other initial proby N but most likely O. 
Australians broad in Norway or most liklely Oslo.   see what I can find and get back to you Al

[moderated: not a dating website.]

Hi, Ill be moving with my husband in a few months...and the way i see it is..yes, its hard.  But so is making friends no matter where you go. 
I plan on getting involved with a church we'll settle in, gym/sport group, etc- just being out there and involved.  Its all you can do.  And!  I intend to learn norwegian :).   I dont want to feel like theyre doing me a favor by having to speak their second language.

Meeting other expats is fun. id just be careful because if youre only meeting up with expats, then youre isolating each other as a group.  Mix it up!

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone i just love chit chat and make friends.hope i can have many friends from all over the world.

1 love to all of you here and happy too meet you

i want to find friend in norway

i want to have a norwegian friend:)

Hello to all new members and welcome to Expat.com! :)

An introduction would be great!

--------

Just to remind you that this thread title is How to make friends in Norway. So if you have some tips, do not hesitate to share them. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

hi ,i want to have a norwegian friend

hi i am living in horten would love to have some friends any age any gender only for friends!!!!!!!

i am sojan from nepal i want to have a norwegian friends.GOD BLESS

hi WilliamMalo!thnx good response to help other.would you like to share your personel experience as expatriate to live norway:)

hi David!thnx to good response to help us.would you like to share with us some tips about move to Norway?:)

hi I want a Norwegian friend. Please help me.

Hey my name of called Alphosno Dior I'm looking for a friend

i want a Norwegian friend

I'm afraid most of the people here are not Norwegian. There are a few though.

Hello, I'm new to this site. I would like us to be friend, but presently I am in – Freetown -Sierra Leone. Don't hesitate to contact. If you don't mind, I will like you to send me your phone number and email address I will get on to you.
I can speak English
My birthday is on 27 April, I was born in 1989

u have be good

Hi gilbeyn,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Can you introduce yourself pls ?

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

hi.. i'm new to this forum.. i'm a medical student who plans to move to norway for work and life career .. i plan to know as many people as i can in norway and make some friends .. so i'll accept any friendship or suggestion
thanks

looking for new good friends in norway

@ elkhatib mustapha > Hello :) A little introduction may be of a great help ;) Thanks. Karen :)

I don't know why people who have shown no interest in foreigners who have moved to THEIR country seem to think their own re-location abroad will result in THEM being more warmly welcomed.

Norway's anthropological history makes it a poor place to make friends. It's cold, people go out less than ever as home entertainment and the internet make staying in more fun. Even when you do go out all you see is people fiddling with their smartphones and don't forget, Norwegians have families to see and do things with and for.

"It's only when you move abroad you realise how much you took your own family for granted when you were at home and how little attention you paid to "invisible" foreigners because you were busy with your own family and friends.

World-wide, the rates for poverty, suicide and mental illness amongst migrant workers are high and well known"

Warren Michael Davis

I can understand the truly desperate becoming migrant workers but I think the arrogance of many middle class professionals from EU countries is their downfall. They're surprised when they find their qualifications aren't valid abroad and refuse to take a job cleaning dishes in a hotel like Afghan surgeons in Norway.

There is an awful lot of this "the Norwegians will be SO pleased to have someone as smart and dynamic as me moving into their backwards, little community" .... a community that has been bobbing along facing horrendous problems for hundreds of years perhaps.

Norway is VERY different to most places apart from perhaps Sweden and Finland. Having worked in all these countries, I reckon Finland and Sweden are the closest to being "European" and more "open" than Norway. South of Sweden is perhaps the best compromise..

Vaslav wrote:

I don't know why people who have shown no interest in foreigners who have moved to THEIR country seem to think their own re-location abroad will result in THEM being more warmly welcomed.

There is an awful lot of this "the Norwegians will be SO pleased to have someone as smart and dynamic as me moving into their backwards, little community" .... a community that has been bobbing along facing horrendous problems for hundreds of years perhaps.

I don't see that people here are generally saying either of these! We've got a mix of people who clearly don't live here and are totally clueless, and those who live here and have suggestions of how one might meet more people. The presence of such a thread indicates to me that nobody is expecting to be embraced with open arms by the local population.

Moving anywhere, whether it's a new city in your native country or a new country altogether requires building up a friend network.

Hi guys, i am planning to moving to norway for studies next year..i will like to make  friends in norway before i move in...so please contact me if interested or send me an email on [email protected]

Hello,

Am new living in Kristiansand and have no friends any idea on  how i can connect with new friend.
thanks

Wow! This has really helped me with my boyfriend, now I know he needs his space. Not to get to close. It sad really. Because us USA women like to get close to our partners. Especially single only children. Who are now grown men and are still distant. They are lonely I can tell, and want to keep the loneliness away. It's terrible to be lonely. You want to disappear that nobody care if you live ir die. Norwegian people need to not be so distant. I know it will be hard for them, but better emotionally. 1428Tk

1428tk wrote:

Wow! This has really helped me with my boyfriend, now I know he needs his space. Not to get to close. It sad really. Because us USA women like to get close to our partners. Especially single only children. Who are now grown men and are still distant. They are lonely I can tell, and want to keep the loneliness away. It's terrible to be lonely. You want to disappear that nobody care if you live ir die. Norwegian people need to not be so distant. I know it will be hard for them, but better emotionally. 1428Tk

Not all Norwegians are distant, just like not all Americans are crazyfriendly! It's just a different culture and way of making friends that takes some adjustment. Go out into the forest with Norwegians and they're much more open IME :)

the first month I lived in Norway I felt far more welcome than I did the first month I lived in Boston after graduating from college.

Regarding your norwegian boyfriend, maybe he's lonely and distant beause he's experiencing the opposite of what everyone here is writing about. As a foreigner in America he may have been frustrated by the different friendship culture there and felt like he doesn't understand people or fit in.

Awwwww thank you so much. I am a very friendly person, I hope  to get to know him better. What would be your recommendation  ?   I have purchased him a Wolf necklace with leather I sent him picture first. He said he likes it. Was that to forward of mr?  I AM a giving person. I might have embarrassed him.
I have researched your culture but sill do not know how to win his heart. As I said he is only child and I feel he is lonely.  Thank you for your help in advance. 142 8TK.

1428tk: your problems sound more like the usual questions of dating than anything specific to Norwegians! Best of luck with your romance.

Ok, I understand, but one more question please, is there something I should Never do or say to him or his Mom? If I ever get to met her.

Nice to know this about norvegian people here in Spain the people are different.