One way ticket?

Is it possible to get into the country with a one way ticket and stay for an extended, undetermined  period to try things out. Or will I need to have a return ticket to be allowed in the country? I know I can overstay and pay a fee to leave. Just wondering about needing the return ticket, especially if it would be months later.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ubder the law the airlines are supposed to ensure you have a return ticket!!!  However many dont do it.

No return ticket - you take your chances of being forced to buy one on the spot. Many buy a ticket out - on spirit or any lowcost airline that is changeable and refundable!

Refundable tickets great idea. Thought there must be away.
Thanks Planner

I always traveled on a one way ticket. I never had a problem.

and Stan you took your chances!   And it worked out for you.

Planner is correct.  Most buy a fully refundable return ticket and cancel it when they get here.

Bob K

For the last 10 years I have been traveling on average 4 times per year on different airlines, never with a return ticket and never asked for one either. Maybe I was lucky but not likely. I traveled to DR 3 times recently only 1 time with a return ticket.

Since 2004 they allow you to enter with a oneway ticket. As far as overstaying I can't answer that for you. I've heard that they've been hassling expats in Sosua over the overstay issue lately.

I personally know of 3 people stopped in the last  6 months and FORCED TO BUY AN EXPENSIVE LAST MINUTE TICKET.

You take your chances.  Simple.  The law has not changed.

Hey Planner,
How're you? Not trying to pass bad advice. Whom is "stopping" your friends and making them buy a ticket? Are your friends US citizens? I'm waiting on a call back from one of the immigration bosses as well as American Airlines.
Anyway, what I used to do when the airlines wouldn't allow you to get on the plane without a round trip ticket is make a reservation for one an hour before I go to the airport. Then when I check in they see I've got my return reserved. That always worked. Even if they'd ask about it if just tell them that I need to get to my bank down there to pay for it.
After I hear what DR immigration tells me I'll be sure and let you know. Sorry for your friends bad luck. Have a great evening!

Someone posted (on another group I moderate) yesterday that the airline asked for.her return ticket -.ahead of time. I will find out what airline.

It is not an American thing, its a DR law that makes the airline responsible for anyone coming here. If they dont have residencia or a Dominican passport then you need a return ticket. Not.all or even.most airlines check.

Good afternoon Planner,
I hope today find you well.
If you could please tell whom made your friends buy a return ticket and where they are from my friend in immigration needs to know. They want us expats to come here and spend our money and do not want us to be hassled. So please let me know so I can pass this info along when he calls me back. Thanks so much! Pase buena tarde

Too funny,  it is a law for all of the airlines. It is not special to one or two.

We have been asked a couple of times by American Airlines and United if we had a return ticket.  They said we needed one to boar the plane in Miami and Newark.  We were ok and did not need them when we showed our residency card.

So yes you may be stopped from boarding without a return ticket.   I too know of some folks who need to buy a refundable return ticket in order to board their flight.

Bob k