BACK TO THE BASICS : A WEBSITE FOR EXPATS, BY EXPATS

Hi,

Expat.com defines itself as "The living abroad website, by expats, for expats"

We received too many complains these last days about locals systematically hijacking treads, posting ads (when they should be posted in dedicated sections), advertisement, and many, many active users became very frustrated.

We decided to temporarily block writing access to locals on the forums and are doing our best to find the best solution for everyone.

We may opt for an invitation system... (or something else)

Kind regards,

Julien

website free of scammers would be nice !

Julien,

That is indeed good news, we will see if the membership approves and improves the posts.

TeeJay

That would be great,

Can I suggest (if possible) that we can select people who we do not want to see posts from.

The house and land forum is the worst one, locals constantly over inflating prices, saying that they have land to sell when they are just an agent.

pej1111 wrote:

The house and land forum is the worst one, locals constantly over inflating prices, saying that they have land to sell when they are just an agent.

We had this on the Vietnam forum, the problem getting worse by the day so we had a crackdown and cleared out all the spammers.
We put a lot of effort into that one and we were successful so we hardly have any spammers any more.

Hi Julien,
Not sure if you are up and running again. I'm planning to retire in Cebu City next year, and would like to get some ideas on what to do and what not to do.

regards

Mark

Fred wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

We had this on the Vietnam forum, the problem getting worse by the day so we had a crackdown and cleared out all the spammers.
We put a lot of effort into that one and we were successful so we hardly have any spammers any more.

Can only ask if you come across a suspicious post or advert you report it pej1111

How do I make it so that forum appears most recent first? So todays are first (not way last).
Charlie

bhalmexpat wrote:

How do I make it so that forum appears most recent first? So todays are first (not way last).
Charlie

I have passed on your message to the Admin team. I am not sure there is a way. But the team will come back with a better explanation.

SimCityAT
Expert Team

bhalmexpat wrote:

Charlie

@ bhalmexpat >

I am contacting you in private.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

You have to go to then end of the forum to see the new entry. How do you reverse the order, so that recent entries appear first.
Charlie

What is this about ?????...JOE

I mean that the entries are listed in the wrong order. I want to see new entries first. Not have to go to the end everytime.
Charlie

Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum, like most things in our world they are in chronological order, perhaps a little like lining up at a supermarket checkout.
I personally find this system works well on forums and is really only a flick of a finger or two to get to the last post depending on your OS.
Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Sounds like a plan as I expect the local have the hope of doing business with us rich touristas .

https://www.expat.com/contacts.php

Looks like I found or perhaps she found me a scammer or sorts, :)

cheers
Neil

SimCityAT wrote:
Fred wrote:
pej1111 wrote:

Can only ask if you come across a suspicious post or advert you report it pej1111

I do, what I propose is in addition to the reporting mode.

I know a forum you cannot pm others members till you don't have make a number (50) of significant post ( Not Hi Hello or I agree) on threads.
After that mod's check your post and your status is upgrade.

I'm a new member but have been reading for some months. I agree that the push down approach is better as opposed to scrolling to the end.

I agree new posts should be first, looking down takes a long time especially when most post are 6 months  or older, because you dont getting many new posts here, other forums new posts come first, also seems to be a lack of people here, most other forums have a number a new posts every day, maybe thats the reason people dont come here.

aussiekiwi wrote:

I agree new posts should be first, looking down takes a long time especially when most post are 6 months  or older, because you dont getting many new posts here, other forums new posts come first, also seems to be a lack of people here, most other forums have a number a new posts every day, maybe thats the reason people dont come here.

While I disagree with what you are saying that's your opinion and choice, I consider 60 seconds in the toilet a waste of time but my better half spends 5 to 6 minutes, his choice.
Scrolling down to the current contribution is not a waste of time especially if you are following or at times contributing and if not contributing brings you up to date with the thread. Horses for courses. Wow, I missed that!
As for activity here? Probably the most active (realistic) site I visit with plenty of input right or wrong from the members, perhaps input/opinions further this post to modify your critique?
While I'm a member of many expat sites this and one other holds my interest with the varied input from from serious members that generally carry no agendas as opposed to other clique expat sites that  I gave up on years ago.

One comes to an expat site to firstly learn, contribute and evaluate a/the choice to move to or consider moving to a foreign country.

While we don't like the taxation system of our particular country we go with the flow and obviously make the best of it.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : defamatory & off topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Why on this, an over 4 year old post/topic with a submission that has nothing to do with the intended advice from a senior moderator, perhaps owner.  What has advertising or sour grapes have to do with with this post, The OP spelt it out clearly that tripe like this won't be tolerated.
I suggest you start a new topic canning tour companies and businesses in a new thread.

Perhaps post credible info from the other expat sites or internet inclusions to quantify your claims instead of bagging companies most have never heard of in an off topic thread.

New post and back it up.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

bigpearl wrote:

Why on this, an over 4 year old post/topic with a submission that has nothing to do with the intended advice from a senior moderator, perhaps owner.  What has advertising or sour grapes have to do with with this post, The OP spelt it out clearly that tripe like this won't be tolerated.
I suggest you start a new topic canning tour companies and businesses in a new thread.

Perhaps post credible info from the other expat sites or internet inclusions to quantify your claims instead of bagging companies most have never heard of in an off topic thread.

New post and back it up.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Noted and removed Steve,

Cheers for that.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Where can I see list of admins here?  TIA!

Gardo Fuentes wrote:

Where can I see list of admins here?  TIA!

There is no list, if you wish to contact the team please use the Contact form Here and someone will be in touch with you.

SimCityAT
Expat team

Hey Mark.. I'm getting ready to do the same 2022 as soon as restrictions are lifted.  Let's keep in touch man....  I'll be living on Mactan Cebu-  Tony

tpiro wrote:

Hey Mark.. I'm getting ready to do the same 2022 as soon as restrictions are lifted.  Let's keep in touch man....  I'll be living on Mactan Cebu-  Tony

Who are you talking to?

replying to Mark60

Hi Tony,
Good luck with your move. I have a few mates living in Mactan, I'll be going between Paknaan and Bohol when I'm finally allowed to enter. I can't believe Australia is not on the Green List...we've had very few case's/death's in Oz.
Happy to stay in touch, do you have a messenger login?
Mark

Yea.. this omicron variant is playing havoc on everything now.. more time to wait...SHIT!!
My messenger face book is ***.. with a mountain view top for icon

tpiro wrote:

<span>[Post under review]</span>

The secret meaning of "Post under review", a post that ends up buried never to be seen or read again.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
tpiro wrote:

The secret meaning of "Post under review", a post that ends up buried never to be seen or read again.

Contact details, dear chap, contact details

I tried a little experiment one day. I popped a soon to be expired number on Facebook and a second on a forum to see what happened.

The facebook one got literally hundreds of spammers/scammers.

Oddly, the one I put on a forum got some scammers, but mostly sex things full of offers I found easy to ignore.

As for contact details on the forum - Some are innocent, some are less so. One recommended a massage to a chap complaining of pain, but he turned out to be a pimp. Others are a variety of things, but mostly selling whatever.

In this case, "Post under review" means enforcing forum rules about contact details.

Fred wrote:

In this case, "Post under review" means enforcing forum rules about contact details.

Welcome back Heavy Handed Fred

So how does post under review mean anything other than the post being reviewed?

Clearly it is not under review but censored.

So why not have given the real reason you deleted it Fred?

Naaa... all good.  Fred deleted it b/c I think I put my FB name in the message to Mark60.    it read:  Please note - Contact details are not allowed on the open forums... No harm done.. all is good but....chezzzz it... the cops!
LOL... :)

My expertise is programming, running exploits, setting up DDOS attacks and i like the challenge of doing things where most others give up.

Examples:
Spear Phishing Attacks to get accounts from selected targets.
I can recover accounts passwords of most social networks easily, remote control smartphones.
Facebook, reddit, Instagram, Twitter account hacking.. Criminal record expungement, Credit score increment, Change of school course grade etc.

From a freshly banned spammer.

Which rules would you like me to enforce?

Ok,
So as not to offend anyone, how do share contact details please

Mark60 wrote:

Ok,
So as not to offend anyone, how do share contact details please

Click on the username
If their PM system is on and they haven't been blocked for spamming, you'll see a large option box

tpiro wrote:

Yea.. this omicron variant is playing havoc on everything now.. more time to wait...SHIT!!
My messenger face book is ***.. with a mountain view top for icon

Enzyte Bob wrote:
tpiro wrote:

You seem to be guilty of a terminological inexactitude. A nice apology would be lovely, thanks

Point here is some like to make their own rules and won't accept forum protocols no matter the site but are too lazy to do it themselves and sit, cry and whinge.
Create your own forum and accept all the spam and losers and no rules, no holds barred and enjoy the fight.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.