Free lance visa question/permit?

Hey I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get a Visa to stay long term in Bulgaria, but I don't know whether I can even qualify for any of the options. free-lance visa seems like a possibility for me, but I don't know what steps I need to take.

My situation is I am a US citizen and I currently work remotely full time for a US company.

Google " Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria Act "  you will find out anything you want to know , I just downloade it so I would have a good referrance .

Hi David

You need to apply for the visa D to get the permit but you'll be asked to give them few documents from you work and where you're going to stay

Good luck

Will I need to apply first in the US or can I apply from Bulgaria? Everywhere I've read I need to apply in my country of residence, but then when I called the embassy in the US they weren't very helpful. Thanks for the help.

You definitely need to get the D visa while you are still in the US (or whatever your current country of long-term residence happens to be). You used to be able to get a D visa in Buglaria, but now it is almost impossible to do so (there are a few very particular situations when they have made exceptions).

I am not sure if your status as a freelancer would work if you are not actually freelancing, but you could try. The problem is if your company does not have an office in Bulgaria, it can be difficult for them to pay your taxes. As a freelancer, you register with the labor office to get a tax number so you can file taxes. But as an employee, your company is supposed to file taxes for you before giving you your paycheck. If your US company withheld taxes, it would be in the US tax system. In theory, your company would have to agree to change your contract to a freelance contract not an employee contract. Then you could register as a freelancer in Bulgaria. But again, I did not use freelancer status to get a visa, so it may be much more simple than that. ;)

Yes, you have to apply in your country

Applying for a long term visa should be done outside Bulgaria. Best when you're still in the USA.

There are several different options to consider when applying for a visa.
Check the Bulgarian Ministry of foreighn affairs. The legislation that you need is uploaded in their website in English.

Check also the options of being seconded to BG by your company. I like this option best, but it depends on the purpose of your stay here.

see :
to be freelancer :

https://translate.google.com/translate? … ;sandbox=1

social contributions:
see Contributions for self-employed workers here :

https://translate.google.com/translate? … garie.html

you must pay social cotisations only between 640 BG to 3000 BGN of your revenues monthly

taxes for revenues :
4 % for agriculture sector
6 % for copyright and license sector (even program and softwre I believe)
9 % for real estate income
else 7,5 %

As others have pointed out, you have to apply for D visa outside BG, usually in your home country. So that's a bit of a hassle!

You can apply for D visa as a freelancer (but I don't know how difficult it is to get the "feelance activity permit" from the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy).

You might be able to find a course of university study you want to do and apply as a student (and keep working too).

Or, you might be able to set something up as a TRO (Trade Representative Office).

Because you're already here, and you don't qualify under one of the easy categories (retiree), I reckon it would be worth having a discussion with an immigration lawyer to see what they'd suggest is the best way forward.

The requirements for the freelance visa seem quite complex! I've been looking at that as I'm still some years off UK retirement age.
Copied from the Bg goverment website:

Necessary documents

The following shall be attached to the sample application:

(a) a brief description of the type, nature and objectives of the freelance activity;

b) a detailed plan for the activity for the term for which the issuance of a permit for carrying out a freelance activity is requested, compliant with the requirements of Art. 28, para. 2 of PPZTMTM;

c) document / documents, certifying / having the presence of professional experience not less than two years in the activity;

(d) a document establishing the availability of financial resources for carrying out the freelance activity in accordance with the submitted plan;

e) a document for proficiency in the Bulgarian language at level at least B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ​​of the Council of Europe;

f) a document that the conditions for exercising a profession included in the List of regulated professions in the Republic of Bulgaria, adopted by a decision of the Council of Ministers on the grounds of Art. 3 of the Law on Recognition of Professional Qualifications;

g) other documents required by the Bulgarian legislation, regulating the respective type of freelance activity, if such are necessary;

(h) a copy of the page of the travel document with the photograph and personal data of the third-country national;

i) two color photos - format 3.5 / 4.5 cm.

In order to continue the permit for carrying out a freelance activity, the third-country national shall submit to the Employment Agency an application in a form, Annex № 4 to the PPZTMTM, with attached:

A) activity plan for the period for which the continuation of the activity is requested;

) at least two service contracts;

C) report on the implementation of the activity plan for the previous period;

D) declaration for absence of obligations for taxes and obligatory insurance contributions;

E) registration certificate from BULSTAT register;

F) patent application under Art. 61n of the Local Taxes Fees Act, when performing patent activities;

(G) a copy of the residence document of the third-country national.

Possibly the biggest challenge, at least for me, will be proof of B1 level proficiency in Bulgarian, which means reasonably fluent. I'm learning, but am not even A1 level yet- basic everyday can-get-by Bulgarian!