Where the best place to relax and spend winter

Hi I'm scott and I retire soon and wanted to read more to see where the best place to relax and spend my winters, I'm from Canada, and so far my reading has led me here.

I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Looking for beaches? Do you want to stay away from the tourists? Looking for cooler weather? The more specific you are, the more we can bring some ideas for you to consider.
Have you ever visited Nicaragua before? How is your Spanish?

We have been travelling here in Nica now for 4 weeks and have not found our groove here.
Lots of disapointments...do not know what people have been finding exciting here.the food is lousy,prices are inflated,language barrier if you do not speak spanish,gusty dirty roads,not overly friendly,loud...noisy...
We are trying to see the positive side,but its hard

Aw Nicadude I'm sorry to hear you haven't had a good experience. It really would help to have a good foundation in the language. Do you speak any Spanish? It would be definitely hard to get around if you didn't.  The thing is that Nicaraguans are actually quite easier to understand than other CA countries or islands; the other guys speak so fast it's hard to hear anything they say.

If you don't know where to go for good food then yes, you probably haven't had the best. Don't go to just any street vendor or restaurant; ask the locals where to find the best carne asada or nacatamal is in the area and they'll let you know.

Are you white? Not in a racist tone. I only ask because the prices, especially out in the streets, are inflated in many occassions because of that fact. I always run into that so I speak from personal experience. As a gringa in general, I'm often looked at with dollar signs in people's eyes.  Only because I'm quite familiar with how prices are supposed to be am I able to tell if the people in the markets try to sell me something way high. I don't mind if it's a couple of bucks as they are trying to make a living but I draw the line at double and triple prices. There was one time we took a taxi and they wanted to charge triple than what was the usual cost. Instead of 50 cords he was asking like 250 or 300. Really dude? Thankfully my husband knew what was going on and set that taxi guy straight.

I have yet to meet a rude Nica although I'm sure they are out there. You must have met a few? Don't take your few bad experiences and apply it the whole county though as there are some great things about Nicaragua. I hope you can have a few positive experiences before leaving the country.