Close

Motorbike recommendation

Greetings all,
     I will be Moving to Thailand around the end of Summer. My first task upon arriving will be to purchase a Motorbike. I am a Large person (184.5 cm, 120 kg; 6', 270 lbs). I will mostly commuting around the city (Chiang Mai), with some highway touring. I am asking for recommendations for a bike that is best suited for my riding style and body size. I am partial to the small displacement cruisers like the Honda Phantom. I will be working with a small budget (60K baht/less). I would also like to know how well a Honda CB150 can handle a larger sized person. I considered a Suzuki Raider, but was dissuaded due to the difficulty in finding parts for that Model in Thailand. I like to travel on the open road and Highway, but I am not a "thread the needle" kind of rider, so I am content to hang back with the four wheeled vehicles. Any input/suggestion would be welcomed. Any constructive input/suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

The following info may be way off-base but I decided to offer it for whatever its worth.

We are a couple that get around on a Yamaha Filano; combined weight around 170kgs. Fantastic shock absorbers, nicely padded seat, biggest under-seat storage of any bike i know of. It's a 125cc but that's all you need around town unless you plan on travelling a lot further afield. If you don't intend on highway touring often then i would stick to something like this and then just hire a bigger bike when you needed it. Hiring is very affordable here. The Filano is a very smooth ride for its class. We took it to Pai from Chiang Mai and it was a great ride. They retail somewhere between 50000 and 55000 from memory. I suggest when you get here you hire one for a short while and see how it feels. We wouldn't ride anything else. But i understand if you would prefer a geared bike over a scooter. We just prefer the comfort the Filano offers. Good luck with the hunt.

kirklea :

The following info may be way off-base but I decided to offer it for whatever its worth.

We are a couple that get around on a Yamaha Filano; combined weight around 170kgs. Fantastic shock absorbers, nicely padded seat, biggest under-seat storage of any bike i know of. It's a 125cc but that's all you need around town unless you plan on travelling a lot further afield. If you don't intend on highway touring often then i would stick to something like this and then just hire a bigger bike when you needed it. Hiring is very affordable here. The Filano is a very smooth ride for its class. We took it to Pai from Chiang Mai and it was a great ride. They retail somewhere between 50000 and 55000 from memory. I suggest when you get here you hire one for a short while and see how it feels. We wouldn't ride anything else. But i understand if you would prefer a geared bike over a scooter. We just prefer the comfort the Filano offers. Good luck with the hunt.

Thank you for your input. As far as scooter's go I would probably go for a PCX 150 (a bit short of my goal for passing power), or save a bit more for a Forza (beyond my immediate budget goal). That was also why I asked about the CB150 (small, but possibly has enough speed for passing, as well as fast enough to handle my size). I am planning on renting those options, or borrowing my GFs click to test for my riding license. I am also considering the Raider 150, or Sonic (Both are good compromises between scooter/geared motorbike, despite the issues of finding parts for the Raider). Once again thank you for your suggestion.

Could try the Phantom range chopper style lots about from 150s I think 200 and 250cc Hondas so reliable

You might take a look at Yamaha Aerox 155.  Its new this year but is automatic not manual.  I'm 6ft and 95kgs and found it fits me.  Low end model sales for slightly over 60k I think.

I currently have PCX 150 and it fills my needs.  I prefer manual trans and foot pegs but auto on PCX is great for around town.  I have car for out of town trips.

You can check out bahtsold.com for resales in Chiang Mai region.

You really need a big bike if you want to travel the roads in NW Thailand.

I can't believe that people make do with 125cc scooters, even with several passengers!

Actually I've got my eye on the Stallions CT400. It looks like a real motorcycle. ;)

Ruffian, the vast majority of people buy for use in town/city environment  where that's all you need.  Another plus is automatic transmission on most of the scooters.

I agree with you when it comes to taking long trips outside the city with small cc scooters.  For trips like that I start the car.

Thanks!
For the OP, perhaps the Honda Forza would be good. It's got nearly 300cc.

I not sure but Yamaha might sell the Xmax 300 in very near future.  If talk is true release might be at the Bangkok International Motor Show starting on March 29.

Salty1 :

Could try the Phantom range chopper style lots about from 150s I think 200 and 250cc Hondas so reliable

Sorry for the Delay in answering. Currently, my choices boil down to a Honda Phantom 200, Yamaha Exciter 150, or a 2nd hand 250cc to 400cc machine, pretty much in that order. My challenge is my limited budget of around 65k baht when I arrive. My big concern is a bike that can handle my size and weight at highway speed. I like the Phantom because that bike can probably handle my size. I am considering the Exciter because it is a High performance underbone Scooter that can handle my weight at highway speed.

There is a lot here. Our friends have a 400cc scooter. it is awesome. Plus you can even buy a 600cc scooter here. Why a scooter? So you can carry a lot of stuff on them. Even a weeks worth of grocery's. A couple cases of beer.
But please , if you have never drove in Asia, or Central or South America before it is a little different. Just remember every one out there is going to kill you, so being a defensive driver is the key. Thailand has been a little bit better then most other places.  I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the foreigner's  that end up hospitalized due to accidents. Be careful and good luck in your search.

Straydog :

You might take a look at Yamaha Aerox 155.  Its new this year but is automatic not manual.  I'm 6ft and 95kgs and found it fits me.  Low end model sales for slightly over 60k I think.

I currently have PCX 150 and it fills my needs.  I prefer manual trans and foot pegs but auto on PCX is great for around town.  I have car for out of town trips.

You can check out bahtsold.com for resales in Chiang Mai region.

You really need a big bike if you want to travel the roads in NW Thailand.

Thx for the Advice. I like the Aerox, but the top speed may be a little lacking. It may be in my best interest to start slow until I adjust to the Thai traffic condition. I was thinking about the Phantom 200 because it may be large enough to fit my girth with some style, then I can graduate to a larger size machine, unless I find a 250cc or < within my budget, and keep the phantom as a back up machine. I like the exciter because the high performance specs may be enough to handle some light touring, but I have issues with the small fuel tank. My go to site for 2nd hand machines is "kaidee.com", but I registered on both baht and sold, and kaidee.

Straydog :

Ruffian, the vast majority of people buy for use in town/city environment  where that's all you need.  Another plus is automatic transmission on most of the scooters.

I agree with you when it comes to taking long trips outside the city with small cc scooters.  For trips like that I start the car.

thank you for your input. The majority of my riding will be in the city, but I would like to do some light touring. My current bike of choice is the Phantom, which can probably handle my girth, but am concerned about the low top speed. my primary alternate choice is the yamaha Exciter 150 because the high performance specs can probably handle my large weight at highway speeds. as well as the purchase price new is within my budget (the downside is the small fuel tank).

I have no plan to drive a car until I am familiar with the roads, considering that I come from a country where the vehicles are driven on the right side of the road.

Ruffian Dick :

Thanks!
For the OP, perhaps the Honda Forza would be good. It's got nearly 300cc.

I like the Forza, but is outside of my budget (around the mid 60k baht)

Straydog :

I not sure but Yamaha might sell the Xmax 300 in very near future.  If talk is true release might be at the Bangkok International Motor Show starting on March 29.

Looks like the X Max will probably be outside of my budget (cost = 210k baht)

sujoge :

There is a lot here. Our friends have a 400cc scooter. it is awesome. Plus you can even buy a 600cc scooter here. Why a scooter? So you can carry a lot of stuff on them. Even a weeks worth of grocery's. A couple cases of beer.
But please , if you have never drove in Asia, or Central or South America before it is a little different. Just remember every one out there is going to kill you, so being a defensive driver is the key. Thailand has been a little bit better then most other places.  I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the foreigner's  that end up hospitalized due to accidents. Be careful and good luck in your search.

Thx for your input.
I have seen some real horrors in the Philippines, with riders using the sidewalks as through ways. That is a major part of why I plan to start slow, and would be content starting with a Phantom, a machine that can probably handle my size and weight. I have been in Thailand in the past (but as a passenger) I did ride a scooter on one occasion many many moons ago.

Apologies, since I don't know the local prices for bikes, or your exact budget.
In California, I once had a 250cc bike that was okay on most streets, but marginal with a passenger, and forget about the freeway.

Even on the city streets, traffic can be pretty competitive, so I imagine having a little extra horsepower would help.

And yes, I agree that driving on the left side is tricky enough without having a car to drive.

i have Kawi er6 2009 yers
i paid 2000€ and its work well here in Thailand,little hot in trafiklight whit watercooled engine fan blow hot
fast and cheapservice its made in Thailand

Ruffian Dick :

Apologies, since I don't know the local prices for bikes, or your exact budget.
In California, I once had a 250cc bike that was okay on most streets, but marginal with a passenger, and forget about the freeway.

Even on the city streets, traffic can be pretty competitive, so I imagine having a little extra horsepower would help.

And yes, I agree that driving on the left side is tricky enough without having a car to drive.

Thx for your reply. Since starting this thread. i have come to discover that i can tour on slower machine, based on some of the blogs from people who toured on scooters (a couple even toured "2 up" on a 125cc machine). Those post gave me a nice boost to my confidence. I don't think I will be doing much 2-up riding. I was also thinking about a high performance underbone bike like the Exciter 150 should be able to handle someone my size (I can also buy one new on my budget of around 65k baht).

piipii :

i have Kawi er6 2009 yers
i paid 2000€ and its work well here in Thailand,little hot in trafiklight whit watercooled engine fan blow hot
fast and cheapservice its made in Thailand

Thx for your suggestion. The Er-6 looks to be out of my immediate price range. i am looking at a budget of around 65k Baht.

Follow up:

I have been giving my options some thought and have expanded my consideration (and budget). I am now adding maxi scooters to my choices. They seem to be able to handle my size/weight, and are capable of touring. My immediate choices are:

Yamaha Majesty 250/400 (250cc is within my immediate initial budget)
SYM GTS300i Evo.
Honda Forza
Silver Wing (extreme edge of my budget).

Serious thoughts and feed back are welcomed and appreciated.

I have a Honda CB400 great bike. I have seen a number of one of the best bikes around and that is a Yamaha SR400 they are fantastic. Has character, size and power and the cool factor.

danmurdoch :

I have a Honda CB400 great bike. I have seen a number of one of the best bikes around and that is a Yamaha SR400 they are fantastic. Has character, size and power and the cool factor.

Both are great choices, and are on my short list, but those choices are hampered buy my budget limit (70k baht). but I am willing to adjust my budget and/or postpone my move to accommodate buying a bike upon my arrival.

danmurdoch :

Greetings danmurdock,
     I am definitely reconsidering my options, and as such an older 400cc machine is within my budget (seeing that I decided to delay my move to increase my budget limit). A couple more choices that I added to my list of options are the Honda CBR/Kawasaki 250 Naked machines. I am having a hard time imagining a scooter bigger than a 150cc, so a larger displacement scooter/bike is well within my realm of possibility.

Have you seen the Lifan custom V250. They are sort of a chopper that looks good under a heaver man. They are manual so takes a bit of concentration in heavy slow traffic but can ride them all day with comfort. They have a carburetor that is set for low horse power for emissions control that limits them to 18 HP. I read on a thread that you can increase that to around 30 HP by installing a larger jet and better air filter. ;) Also the motor and transition are indestructible from what I have read about them. Last time I was in Thailand I rented one for a month and loved it. They were around 80000 new a few years ago.

Expatriate health insurance in Chiang Mai

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Chiang Mai

Moving to Chiang Mai

Find tips from professionals about moving to Chiang Mai

Travel insurance in Chiang Mai

Enjoy stress-free travel to Chiang Mai