Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

Motorbike recommendation

Greetings all,
     I will be Moving to Thailand around the end of Summer. My first task upon arriving will be to purchase a Motorbike. I am a Large person (184.5 cm, 120 kg; 6', 270 lbs). I will mostly commuting around the city (Chiang Mai), with some highway touring. I am asking for recommendations for a bike that is best suited for my riding style and body size. I am partial to the small displacement cruisers like the Honda Phantom. I will be working with a small budget (60K baht/less). I would also like to know how well a Honda CB150 can handle a larger sized person. I considered a Suzuki Raider, but was dissuaded due to the difficulty in finding parts for that Model in Thailand. I like to travel on the open road and Highway, but I am not a "thread the needle" kind of rider, so I am content to hang back with the four wheeled vehicles. Any input/suggestion would be welcomed. Any constructive input/suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you all in advance.

The following info may be way off-base but I decided to offer it for whatever its worth.

We are a couple that get around on a Yamaha Filano; combined weight around 170kgs. Fantastic shock absorbers, nicely padded seat, biggest under-seat storage of any bike i know of. It's a 125cc but that's all you need around town unless you plan on travelling a lot further afield. If you don't intend on highway touring often then i would stick to something like this and then just hire a bigger bike when you needed it. Hiring is very affordable here. The Filano is a very smooth ride for its class. We took it to Pai from Chiang Mai and it was a great ride. They retail somewhere between 50000 and 55000 from memory. I suggest when you get here you hire one for a short while and see how it feels. We wouldn't ride anything else. But i understand if you would prefer a geared bike over a scooter. We just prefer the comfort the Filano offers. Good luck with the hunt.

kirklea :

The following info may be way off-base but I decided to offer it for whatever its worth.

We are a couple that get around on a Yamaha Filano; combined weight around 170kgs. Fantastic shock absorbers, nicely padded seat, biggest under-seat storage of any bike i know of. It's a 125cc but that's all you need around town unless you plan on travelling a lot further afield. If you don't intend on highway touring often then i would stick to something like this and then just hire a bigger bike when you needed it. Hiring is very affordable here. The Filano is a very smooth ride for its class. We took it to Pai from Chiang Mai and it was a great ride. They retail somewhere between 50000 and 55000 from memory. I suggest when you get here you hire one for a short while and see how it feels. We wouldn't ride anything else. But i understand if you would prefer a geared bike over a scooter. We just prefer the comfort the Filano offers. Good luck with the hunt.

Thank you for your input. As far as scooter's go I would probably go for a PCX 150 (a bit short of my goal for passing power), or save a bit more for a Forza (beyond my immediate budget goal). That was also why I asked about the CB150 (small, but possibly has enough speed for passing, as well as fast enough to handle my size). I am planning on renting those options, or borrowing my GFs click to test for my riding license. I am also considering the Raider 150, or Sonic (Both are good compromises between scooter/geared motorbike, despite the issues of finding parts for the Raider). Once again thank you for your suggestion.

Could try the Phantom range chopper style lots about from 150s I think 200 and 250cc Hondas so reliable

You might take a look at Yamaha Aerox 155.  Its new this year but is automatic not manual.  I'm 6ft and 95kgs and found it fits me.  Low end model sales for slightly over 60k I think.

I currently have PCX 150 and it fills my needs.  I prefer manual trans and foot pegs but auto on PCX is great for around town.  I have car for out of town trips.

You can check out bahtsold.com for resales in Chiang Mai region.

You really need a big bike if you want to travel the roads in NW Thailand.

I can't believe that people make do with 125cc scooters, even with several passengers!

Actually I've got my eye on the Stallions CT400. It looks like a real motorcycle. ;)

Ruffian, the vast majority of people buy for use in town/city environment  where that's all you need.  Another plus is automatic transmission on most of the scooters.

I agree with you when it comes to taking long trips outside the city with small cc scooters.  For trips like that I start the car.

Thanks!
For the OP, perhaps the Honda Forza would be good. It's got nearly 300cc.

I not sure but Yamaha might sell the Xmax 300 in very near future.  If talk is true release might be at the Bangkok International Motor Show starting on March 29.

Expatriate health insurance in Chiang Mai

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Chiang Mai

Moving to Chiang Mai

Find tips from professionals about moving to Chiang Mai

Travel insurance in Chiang Mai

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Chiang Mai

Flights to Chiang Mai

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Chiang Mai