Before you travel, know your blood type

Did you know that if for example you carry the O negative blood type, you can only receive blood from other O negative?
And that in some countries the rh negative blood factor is extremely rare?
Only around 0.3% in China are O negative meaning you could only accept a blood transfusion from 3 in 1000 people. Some areas, villages have even rarer occurences.
In ADDITION, doctors of those regions are sometimes ignorant to the importance and people have died getting the wrong blood transfused.
Here is a list of blood type frequencies worldwide:
http://rhesusnegative.net/themission/bl … equencies/
And here are some more tips:
Before you travel the world, know your blood type
If you do not know your blood type, you can simply donate and find out that way.
And if you happen to be rhesus negative, carry something in your wallet indicating such and connect with some of the organizations dedicated to making sure people with rare blood types will be ok in extreme circumstances.

You are right!
I am B-, one of the rarer blood types and virtually non-existent among Asian populations (where I lived for many years). I found that in Asia even many doctors aren't aware of the existence of rhesus factors and happily assume everybody is +.

A good topic, and a good one to know.

Thank you Firetown

Ours is listed on both our US and Dominican driver's license

Bob K

Yeah, you're right. The rhesus negative had become a problem since long time ago and up until now the scientist still havn't solve this problem yet. Hopefully in the future, someone who is rhesus negative blood type are able to received rhesus positive blood type ? Nah , just admit it : )

Yeah Thats kind of interesting ...  Never thought of that..  I am  AB+ve .. I am universal Accept or   .. :D I am sure of one thing.. I wont die from non presence of blood type around me..

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR