MOSQUITOS HEEEELLLP!

Anybody, everybody, pls what is effective?!!!?

Close all your doors and windows before sunset that is the best solution.

Use netting on your windows if you want the ventilation.

Other option is to use one of the bug sprays that ensure the bugs die when they come into the room!!

other solution Allout/goodnight/ whatever you get mosquito mats and coils.

the coils are effective but could be a problem with the smoke.

Cheers,

Autan body spray and Vape tablets with the plug in thing.
Or just spend every day in Port Louis.

Hi all ,
Hi closing door and window is a good option , also mosquito repelant are good and effective , alternatively if convenient take ssome dry leaves of neem tree leaves and put them in frying pan on gas.

This will make a lot of smoke but this smoke is good for health as well as for environment also once house is full of smoke open doors and window than you can close them again . 

Or else you can put a piece of garlic on mosquito repellent machine and take a deep sleep in same room .

Hope this will help

Hi,

Sounds a bit mad but an Australian friend told me they eat vegemite (marmite) to stop the mosquitoes biting.  Apparently they don't like the smell or taste on your skin.  I've read that vitamin B tablets work in the same way if you don't like vegemite.

I've tried the marmite option and it does seem to help (they don't take such big bites!) at the end of the day anything is worth a try.

Angela

hi guys,

one option: mosquito repellent. i bought one from game stores at around Rs 350 last year. It uses ultra sound, no odor, no smoke; but you might check if you have dogs

second option: > 200ml water
               > 50 g of raw sugar
               > 1 g of yeast(bread yeast, in all supermarkets)
               > 1 plastic bottle(2 L pepsi/coka)

a: cut bottle in half
               b: mix raw sugar with a little hot water, then with the 200ml of water, in the bottom half of the plastic bottle.
               c: Mix the yeast(this creates carbon dioxide)
               d: put the other part of bottle, head inside, the bottom half
               f: stick on the outer bottle wall, with a black cloth(or black plastic bag)

it can be left for two weeks.

i heard about this solution long ago, but havent given a try. i her it works also,

good luck guys,
islander.

Hi guys :-)

Thats nice to have several solutions :-) 

If you like fragrance oil ;) : You can prepare your own insect repellent.
Try this - 5 drops of lavender oil plus 5 drops of lemongrass oil or Citronella blend to 2 tablespoons of carrier oil or 15ml that is  almond oil or vegetable oil. Dab on skin.

Thanks to every1 for their replies!:)

REPEL 100 (97% DEET)

I am using self made mixture of Citronella oil, Neem oil, Lavandin oil, Balistol oil, boiled water, it is working and smell sweet but after 1.5 h you need to spray it again. Check first if you are not allergic on some of this components.
Dina

Hello Dina

what is the proportion/quantity for each ingredients you use?

Hi Alisa,
I don't do it so exact, about 10-20 drops/each ingredience. I heard that garlic is a good repellent too.  I don't know if I should try it? :)
I forgot to tell that in the night we are using mosquito net. this is the best defence against mosquitos.

hi best solution is to go to the neaarest pharmacy and buy a small bottle of citronella solution...put it on clothes , bed ect

Thank you for the tip!

The most effective repellent we've found is Peaceful Sleep (I prefer the stick to the spray) - from any supermarket. Also smells good!

VeroniqueL wrote:

The most effective repellent we've found is Peaceful Sleep (I prefer the stick to the spray) - from any supermarket. Also smells good!

I can second that! We use the Peaceful Sleep Spray - it is really good - I spray after my shower in the morning, and then again early evening before we sit outside for dinner.

If you get bitten the best thing we have discovered is the hot flannel treatment - it really does work! Itching stops and by the next day the lump and redness is almost gone:)

i am a pure mmozzie magnet......for me the only thing that works is TABARD Cream....it smells like a normal body lotion but no bug comes near me and i dont get sick like i do with deet

Peaceful sleep or tabbard sticks work for me and if I get a bite and apply topical phenergan cream right away it doesn't get any worse; in fact it usually disappears after an hour or so.

Hi, things like some strong smell essentials oil[ citronella, lavender]etc do work, but the problem is that it lasts only about 30 min to 1 hour if you dose on yourself and open the windows, so count on them if you wana sleep, except if you have a dosing system which spray some in your room every 1 hour or so.

cream or solution containing deet may work up to 8 hours[ according to manufacturer] but mostly is effective for only like 5 hours and less so if you sweats. But new report says that deet may be carcinogenic, during long term use

good old mosquito coils, and or vape is my favbourite at home and mosquito cream or solution is good for travelling

As when you are bitten, you can try at first a soothing cream [like sudoceam, or biafin cream, or alternatively and antihistamininc cream like phenergan cream, if this does not work any cortisone cream would probably do fine [ like bethamathasome cream].
But all cream should only be applied to UNBROKEN skin. if you have scratch and broken you skin its not appropriate to use any cream for topical use, as risk of infection will be there.
For more serious case a visit to your doctor is recommended

Vape works well for us too casyen :) One in every room.
I agree with you, inadvisable to apply pherergan or cortisione cream to unbroken skin. Cortisone cream actually does nothing for my bites, though as stated previously phenergan cream (recommended by a pharmacist in Mauritius) works like a dream.
Once I had an infected bite (in Syria not Mauritius) and the local pharmacist there prescribed fucidin cream. It worked and the bite healed.

yes u right fucidin is an antibiotic cream - would work great on infected wound.
You can also use fucicort which is a combination of antibiotic and cotisone which is mainly for infected would that is irritated, scratching and swollen at same time would work better

Thanks! I always have some up to date fucidin cream in stock now, but luckily not needed it since! :)
Daisy :)

Hope u never need to use it and Gl