Hello, hopefully moving to Belize from Brooklyn, NY...

Hello,
Allow us to introduce ourselves…my partner Edward and I live in Brooklyn, New York and we are in the process of taking the necessary steps to move to Belize within the calendar year (hopefully sooner than later). 

We will be coming to Belize on March 17 (4th time over many years), for 2 weeks to scout specific areas to potentially live.  Our first stop is Hopkins, then Corozal and then Ambergris Caye.  Our goal is to do a long term rental to 'test the waters' and take it from there...     

Kindly let us know if you have any specific insight, experiences, suggestions, etc.

Sincere regards,
Jon and Edward

Welcome to the Belize Forum Jon & Edward. You will find many topics covered in previous threads to get you started.

Try and include San Ignacio, Cayo in your plans as well.

Good luck with your research and trip. Let us know how we can help.

Hello:

Hello my name is Diana and I currently reside in Cleveland, Ohio.  I purchased a half acre lot in Corozal and I am building a wood built two bedroom home.  I plan on having it completed this year sometime.
My vision is to begin spending extended time in the winter months there.  I chose Corozal as it is close to Mexico.  I will appreciate being able to travel in and out of Mexico with frequency as well.

Best to you both,

Diana

Sincere thanks Bill!  Your site and YouTube videos are very informative as well.  Thank you for including San Ignacio as we have stayed there years ago on vacation, and will hopefully explore further during our stay.  We arrive in Belize on March 17 for 2 weeks to scope out various areas.  This will be our fourth trip over many years (last visit was in Placencia in 2011).  Do you know if there is a 'Consultant' for hire to guide us through this crazy process?  We are in various stages of research and it can be overwhelming.  Instinctually, we would love to move to Ambergris Caye, but not sure if it will be expensive.  We have been reaching out to various real estate brokers on the mainland as well as Ambergris Caye for long-term rentals as well hoping to set appointments during our stay.  Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!  Regards, Jon

Hi Jon,

Please PM me with direct contact and I can pass along contact information for an excellent American "consultant" who lives between Belize (Ambergris presently, but lived in Hopkins for a while as well) and North Carolina.  We spent an hour on the phone with him the other day and gained a ton of information and ideas.  If my memory serves, he might even be in Belize while you two are there.  I know he offered a tour of places we are interested in if we were going to be there when he is. Unfortunately we will not be there until the end of April.

We are a couple in Bridgeport, CT considering moving to Caye Caulker (yes, we know it's isolated, slower than slow...exactly what we are looking for!) by the end of 2017.  We've rented a place for 12 days on Caulker April 18 - 29 and if all goes well, our house will be on the market upon our return to CT!

Best Wishes to you two as you explore your options.  You've had more trips there than us (1 is more than us at this point!), so it is encouraging that you wish to return there full time.  We've done our research for the past 2 years and feel confident we're headed in the right direction.  One thing we absolutely know, there is no way in hell we'd be able to retire in CT, or most anywhere else in the USA, on just our SS!!

Brad & Lorrie

Thank you so much Brad & Lorrie.  I am new on this site and do not know how to 'Private Message'.  Sorry, but can you guide me?

JON J. F wrote:

Thank you so much Brad & Lorrie.  I am new on this site and do not know how to 'Private Message'.  Sorry, but can you guide me?

Click on the name of the person you wish to PM. The private message option will be on the page that comes up.

Thank you!! :)

Welcome to you both. This forum is a wealth of info! You can find lots of answers by searching on here. Just ignore the periodic childish bickering. 😂 Almost everyone on here is helpful and knowledgeable.

I am a Belizean who moved back to Belize from the U.S. My mother and grandparents were originally from San Ignacio. I am very passionate about my beautiful country and I know Belize very well. My husband and I chose Corozal which is a sleepy safe seaside town. We purchased a condo on the water two miles from the Mexican border. We do most of our vegetable/fruit shopping, bike riding and kayaking in Corozal but when we want a little more activity we can hop on the ferry and go to either Ambergis Caye, Caye Caulker or Mexico. Corozal is very inexpensive to live and because it's located in the northern portion of Belize the weather is very cool and has less humidity. Good luck with your search and I hope you find your slice of paradise in the BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING country of BELIZE. If I can be of any assistant please feel free to contact me!

Hi, just signed up on this forum, it's a wealth of information. Great! My wife and I with our 3 kids are thinking about moving to Belize in aprox 16 months. I would like some input and thoughts on which area we should pick. We're planning on enrolling the kids in private school. We would like a family oreintated area. Live and enjoy the qualitys of the simple life. Thanks 😃

Marty

Hi Marty,
Reading this forum is a great start, Most folks want to know the same things/ask the same questions when starting out so you will see lots of answers already here. But pay attention to the age of the thread.

Like all of us when starting something new in life, you are at the stage where don't know what you don't know   :D  I am sure you will have more specific questions as you gain knowledge so ask away if you can't find it covered here.

Here is the Facebook page of the only private school I know about in the Placencia area.

https://www.facebook.com/PeninsulaInternationalAcademy/

I have a good friend from Canada that sends her son there (think he is 10-11). She has owned a great VRBO/AirBNB  property for about 14 years now, also works online for a Canadian firm, but delayed moving to Belize full time until this school opened a few years ago.

BTW in Belize it is not unusual for Business to not have a website, or only have a Facebook page. Or if they do have a website, it might not have been updated for an extend period of time.

There seem to be more and more families moving to the Placencia area. Remote work is, I believe, making that a possibility for more families. That said, there are a lot of children all over Belize. It's honestly a majority of the population.

We are about 40 minutes south of Placencia with 3 of our 4 children and very happy here. It's a wonderful place to raise children.

Great! thx so much. We will plan a trip down in that area this spring and check it out. Once again thx for the info 😃