Things to do in Singapore for a few days?

Hi all,
I plan to visit Singapore with my wife soon for a few days, and wondered if anyone could give me a few hints/tips on interesting things to do. I'm an outdoor person so nature trails etc. would be of more interest that walking around busy streets all day!

We fly in/out of Changi airport so places to visit without too much travelling would be ideal. And if anyone can recommend an inexpensive B&B place in the area (as a base for say 3 nights) that would be most welcome!

Thanks, Dimps

Did you look up Singapore before deciding to visit?
I guess not, otherwise you'd not ask for "places to visit without too much travelling" and "in the area" - the country is so small that everything can be reached within an hour!
Also, as a dense city state, the opportunities for outdoors or nature trails are limited: If you really want to stand the tropical heat and humidity, the two nature reserves Bukit Timah and Sungei Buloh will keep you entertained for about three hours each - apart from that, the Botanic Garden is as close to nature as you will get. For the real thing, better go to neighbouring Malaysia.
Singapore is a great place to explore colonial heritage, the Asian city of the future, great shopping, and food, food, food.

Regarding accommodation, you need to spend at least S$100-120/night to get anything half-decent, although you can easily spend S$500/night as well (especially if you want to impress your wife with a romantic or quiet place). Look up the usual online booking services, or the Lonely Planet guide.

I would recommend Pulau Ubin for cycling and taste the forest atmosphere in Singapore. Sentosa is another spot you may try for few artificial activities with nature feelings. I would further recommend to visit Food court "Lau Pa Sat" in Rafles place, then a place known as Haw Par villa, which shows believe in rebirth and Carnation etc.

People normally don't come here to see nature trails rather for a costly vacation where everything is available at your door step with a price tag. Few things to avoid that don't eat n throw chew gums, littering, graffiti etc.

It's beautiful place to visit once but costly. Enjoy your days at Singapore. Rest you can get by surfing net. Try to get cheaper hotel using Hotels.com, Agoda.com etc.

Thanks for all the replies ... looking forward to spending just a few days in Singapore as we are so close here ... just an hour or so from Manila.

an hour? It's around 3 hours 30mins from Manila.

Yes, you are right Surya ... I don't know why I thought it was only an hour!

Why don't you rent a Harley-Davidson and ride around ?
It'll be fun and exciting.

MANI_HDS wrote:

Why don't you rent a Harley-Davidson and ride around ?
It'll be fun and exciting.

And ... after you rode all the motorways of the whole (tiny) country, what do you do with the rest of the afternoon???
That and the dense traffic, tight speed limits, tolls on many major roads, virtually no free parking anywhere and the complete lack of scenic roads or exciting scenery, makes this proposition dubious.
My recommendation: Do this elsewhere, but in Singapore take public transport!

I had my stay in SG for two weeks. If you are looking for adventure i think you can go Sentosa. They have zip line and surfing but in a man made pool waves. Also, you can go to Clarke Quay. They have this viking like adventure. i actually dont know what they call it. You can go Marina Bay Sands at night and watch the light show of Super Trees. You can also visit Ion Sky at 63rd floor where you can see the whole Singapore. Try going to China town also and taste different Chinese and Singaporean foods. if you want party night life, Clarke Quay and Boat Quay are the best places or in Esplanade. The Hanji Alley is also a nice place. There are many things you can do in Singapore. Universal Studious if you also like. Have a great travel to Singapore! Enjoy!