Having a car in Mexico

I thought it would be helpful to find out what has been your experience with having a car.

How do you get repairs done and what did it cost ?

What about tires ? are you getting them more often and where is the best place to get them ?

Do you service your own car or get it done for you ?  How hard is it to do ? and what do you do with the parts and oil ?

How are you doing with the Mexican driving system ?

Did you get a Mexican license and if so how hard was that to do ?

Do you wash your own car, or pay to have it done ? Are there places to find people to wash your car?

And any other helpful car tips you might want to share.

Thanks

Travelight

For repairs, I take my CrossFox to VW.
It's a 2009 with the same tires.
VW services the car. I drop it off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.
I close my eyes when going through an intersection.
Veracruz drivers license.
I let someone wash the car or wait for rain.

So are Joaquinx and I the only expats with cars in Mexico ?

How do you get around mostly Bus, taxi , uber ?
Is that just around town or do you travel long distances ?

What are the costs and problems for you.

What do you like about your choice of travel ?

I know taxis are helpful when you can get one, and in some cases when they are willing to take you where you want to go. Twice I have been told that they didn't go there.
Uber is more or less illegal in Merida and Campeche. Probably because of taxis and then there is the the thing about Uber not paying taxes in those cities.

I don't take buses because I don't like them. The two experiences I had between here and Merida didn't change my opinion. My friend tells me it would be cheaper, and I told him it actually isn't because its only from point a to point b, Once you are at point b you have to find other transport . Then there is the carrying things and securing things problem. It would have been hard to get to some of the places I have been without a car.

Hi, my wife and I have travelled Mexico for 10 years with an RV. The last 2 years, we parked the 5th wheel and truck and used the local transports  (ie: went from the pacific coast to Puebla via ETN great service small cost).

So, since 2013, we fly from Canada and always used the local transports  (bus, taxis) for example last January we went from La Peñita de Jaltemba, Nayarit to Melaque, Jalisco  (taxi at 5AM to catch the Primera plus express to Melaque, return Primera plus to PV then connect PV to La Peñita de Jaltemba. Total cost for both 2200$ pesos = comfort & no stress.

We will be living year round next summer in La Peñita de Jaltemba, we don't think buying a car is mandatory. We will have the INAPAM card that gives 50% discounts on buses  (local & long distance) and we would rent a car if we would need it.

Having a car is a personal choice.

Buen dia a todos, GyC.

I have always had a car in Mexico. Until 2013, I never flew to the states; my husband and I always drove, either a motor home or a car. After I was widowed, I bought a new small car for myself, a red Toyota Yaris. I have been happy with it. It still drives like new. I take good care of it and recently gave its care and feeding to a competent person so I don't have to think about it. He takes care of everything, and will drive if I don't feel like it (although I usually feel like it). I have used Toyota service every 6 months and I buy insurance through them.

I have lost maybe 4 tires to nails and other puncturing things but have had no mechanical problems.

I like driving in my town, which has mainly one-way streets downtown. They are all labelled "1 X 1" and everyone is polite and patient and crosses the intersections one by one.

I have a Mexican license. It was easy and did not involve a driving test of any kind..

It's never a problem to find someone to wash your car. The local children who take out my basura for me offer all the time. There are also many private enterprise car washes. The cost is less than 50 pesos.

I hesitated to answer your questions, Travellight, because my experiene has been so ordinary and boring, just like in the states, except at a somewhat slower pace.

Normal is always good Babs, people need to hear about normal also. A number of people have asked about buying cars, so I expected more to have them. Your adventures and your city sound delightful.

I have driven cars to and from the U.S. numerous times and thanks to unseen baches and topies have  gone through about 2 tires every 6 months until this last year.  I don't know if the  Spanish spelling for potholes and speed bumps is correct, because I have never been able to find the words. I suspect it is just accepted slang.

I have also had good experiences with the locals helping me. Except for two guys charging me twice the going car wash rates . After it was clear I wouldn't pay gringo tax that was fixed, and they don't wash my car any longer.

The state of Veracruz, going the way of Google, has re-branded topes and now calls them "Reductor de Velocidad".

Ah, I thought that was just a warning sign about speed reduction, not that everyone is paying attention. I would be happy if they would consistently put up the visual signs so you knew they were coming up.

They just revamped the road around the bay here, and put in the worst speed bumps I have ever seen. 3 orange  plastic bumps following 2 smaller bumps. Probably equals a set of bumps a yard wide. Backs up traffic very well.

We brought our car from the US and just paid TIP. We use Uber all the time in Merida and Progreso when we have been drinking.  Lots of trips from Progreso to Merida and back with Uber.  No issues.

Interesting Drippetoe

Well, Uber must have settled with the city. They were not paying taxes to the city so at least one uber driver was arrested for being illegal in Merida.
I don't think the taxis are happy about them. They are still not using them here so Campeche must have not settled yet.