Vehicle purchase

One of the items that I will need to purchase after moving to Puerto Rico is a vehicle. Preferably a small pick up truck.
Any good advice as to what to look out for, private or dealer, insurance, transfers, etc.
Any input and advice is always appreciated.
Ron and Bev

The best place to look is http://www.clasificadosonline.com/Transportation.asp
look for a low millage vehicle. Age is not as important, there are plenty of 20 year old cars and trucks in the island.

If you do a search in this forum you will find plenty of advice. But very important is to go with the seller to perform the transfer of the car and have them pay any tickets before you hand your money over!!!! Tickets stay with the car not the driver, so they need to pay their tickets first.

I am a 'buy from a dealer' person because of the warranties, maintenance services and the dealer takes care of the registration process.  I spent the first half of my adult life driving old cars held together with glue and duct tape.  Those days are over.
I am very happy with the Toyota dealer called Autocentro.
When you register a car (Marbete)  it includes  basic insurance and many folks only get this insurance (scary!).   In subsequent years you take the car to a local gas station to get your car inspected and they also give you the new registration sticker.  It costs about $185. 
My car insurance, MAPFRE, is  the same company that insures my home.  Most car insurance here includes  emergency roadside service.  The entire annual cost for home, new car and golf cart is under $1,000 for the year.

The liability minimum required insurance that is required/provided at the DMV is $99.00 for only $4000.00 coverage for property damage with the Marbete.   

If you go to an insurance agent and purchase 100/300 K liability coverage ( mine was about $240.00 + road side service)  and get the certificate of coverage to present at DMV, they waive the $99.00 fee.

Thus, real coverage for possible claims in event of accident, for a small cost increase - what do you think?

Now that makes sense to me!
Thanks
Ron

Frogrock,

Is the Toyota Autocentro in San Juan?

This facebook group also lists mostly pick ups. I haven't bought one from the group but I keep an eye on it every now and then. facebook.com/groups/ClasificadosPickUpPuertoRico/

Autocentro is at
1090 Ave. Muñoz Rivera
Río Piedras, PR

Approximately how much more can we expect to pay for a new car at a Puerto Rico dealership? Does anyone know how much it costs a dealer to import a new car?

Don't know about new cars , but I was recently told that used cars are not subject to sales tax?  Is that true?