Moving to dundee for one year with 18 year old son and husband

I am originally scottish but moved to usa when I was 10.  When my son graduates for high school, my husband and I are going to relocate along with said son to Dundee for one year.

We will rent a flat and my husband will continue to do his job here in America via internet - I will not work and my son will either take some classes or hopefully find some part time employment.

I am looking for any advice at all - I am working on getting UK passports for myself and son and then after that I am at a loss - does my husband need a visa - if so does anyone have any idea which kind?  Does having a UK passport mean that my son would be eligible for health care?

How do I go about everything else!!!

Am doing lots of research and have plenty time but would very much appreciate any practical advise you folks can share

Hi Sharon,

Hope you have a great time when you move to Dundee.

The Scottish Government has a Relocation Advisory Service where you can get advice about immigration. Check it out here: scotland.org/work/moving-to-scotland and more specifically: talentscotland.com/Workers/Moving-to-Scotland/Before-you-Move/Visas-and-immigration/Contact-our-Relocation-Advisory-Service.aspx

Hope this helps in your research.

Best wishes

David

I have lived in Dundee so if you need any specific information I will see what I can do.

It should not be a problem for healthcare for your son.  He just registers with a local GP.  Visits are free, but you pay for prescriptions depending on your status - i.e. employed or unemployed or student (I think). Hospital treatment is free.  Opticians are not.

Dundee has a great dental hospital too so no worries about horrendous dental bills either. 

Decent colleges and a Uni, but not sure about student fees nowadays.  Work might be hard to find. 

Best thing for him to do as soon as he is settled is to visit all the shops and supermarkets and ask for a job application form.  Some will give him a form, some wont.  Fill them all in and tell him to cross his fingers.

Help him do a CV too.  Some will ask for one.  References can always be done via the internet.

With any luck, his american accent might get him some work, especially in the younger clothes stores.  :) 

Good luck.

Hi there,

I am Australian who has recently moved to Scotland (Perth) for a year.  Like u i was born in the uk so i am a british citizen.  I can't advise you about work visas but can let u know that a British passport is all u need for free health cover and it also makes setting up things like bank accounts very easy.  Before we arrived here I obtained a British passport for my australian born son and he is eligible for free health care too.
Good luck with the visa for your husband,
Cheers
Katie

hi Sharonko,

welcome to expat-blog and wish you best of luck with everything.

Kind regards,

Haf