I want to learn Vietnamese

I have been living in Vietnam past 2 years but not able to speak full sentences in Vietnamese. I know some words that help me communicate but I wish to speak fluently.

I may not have time to attend language classes.
Therefore, I hope to meet someone on evenings or weekends to learn to communicate in Vietnamese.

We can talk. i'll teach you Vietnamese. I also wanna practise my English too, it's so bad lol

Seriously ! i too need help although i can pick up between words gestures and the manners they speak but being unable to know actual meaning sentences. specially very short onces

I work in district 1 and live close edge of Go Vap Let me know if you are arranging to meet i am also interested! studying together will Help out more then just Soloing it

Hello everyone,

Could you please drop an advert in the dedicated section of the website ?

- Language classes in Ho Chi Minh City

thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Gharan,

I commend you on your interest in and effort spent learning Vietnamese. For people who speak European languages, Vietnamese is one of the most difficult languages to learn and is actually in it's own unique language group. Previously it was thought to be related to Mon Kamer(spelling??). I've been working on my Vietnamese since 1970 and guess that I am a slow learner.

Anyway. Keep up the effort.

Shall we have a group to exchange language ?  I want to practice English too ;).

Its a good idea to learn a language in exchange for teaching someone else your language.

Hope you guys get on well with the learning  the languages  :)
Good luck  :top:

well, if you guys really build up a group , i'm in.
Hope it's not so far so I can joy.
Cheers,

jazzy851 wrote:

Its a good idea to learn a language in exchange for teaching someone else your language.

Hope you guys get on well with the learning  the languages  :)
Good luck  :top:

My wife and I did that while I served in and she worked for the US Navy during the War. The University of Saigon, where I taught ESL, later gave me 12 semester hours of Elementary Vietnamese Credit by examination that I was able to transfer to the University of Maryland Saigon campus, that I later attended as a civilian, based on our informal instruction. I attended classes at the University of Maryland for an additional 9 semester hours of Intermediate Vietnamese before we had to evacuate due to the fall of Saigon.

Hi all,

I'm also interested to learn Vietnamese too. I stay in District 1 and am up to meet up on weekends. Let me know!

Hi there,
Tomorrow i'll joy in a Japanese communication group from 9am to 11:30am at HCM City University of Social Sciences and Humanities, Have free time in afternoon.
If you're gonna build a group, contact me .

University of Social Sciences and Humanities offers structured group classes or private class. I'm currently enrolled and u can hang in the uni to talk and ask questions. I'm surprised by the number of Koreans studying the language. 90%of my classmates are from korea

So how will we do?  Any ideals ? I'm in district 1 too.  Can we have a chat at skype first?

I want to learn vietnamese, currently in saigon.  i can teach enlgish if requires

Hi there,
I have a Indian friend, now he is working at FPT, maybe he will help you to learn Vietnamese easily.
I have skype :xxx
Mina

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello everyone,

As already requested before, could you please drop either a "looking for" ad or an offer ad in the proper section ?

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Could you please drop an advert in the dedicated section of the website ?

- Language classes in Ho Chi Minh City

thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Thanks in advance,
Bhavna

Would you tell me how much for the course??

hi, I am Nguyen. I am from Vietnam. I can teach you some Vietnamese. I can use some english and also I wan to learn your language, so you and I can teach each other our language

1970-1972 my later to be wife of 46 years and I helped each other with our languages. Working with a partner works. At some point in time structured classroom instruction becomes useful for grammar etc.

Hello JD  PingPong  could you send me a link how to enroll in the class? I would like to have a intensive class learning vietnamese in June. right away to pick up daily conversation.
Thank you!

JD Pingpong wrote:

University of Social Sciences and Humanities offers structured group classes or private class. I'm currently enrolled and u can hang in the uni to talk and ask questions. I'm surprised by the number of Koreans studying the language. 90%of my classmates are from korea

1970-1972 my later to be wife of 46 years and I helped each other with our languages. Working with a partner works. At some point in time structured classroom instruction becomes useful for grammar etc.

:top:

Keeping up with regular sessions also helps to learn and pickup the language skills faster. Good to see there's an interest in learning each others languages.
Well done  :)

learn this sentence and you will be fine :)

Em muốn làm vợ của anh không

vndreamer wrote:

learn this sentence and you will be fine :)

Em muốn làm vợ của anh không

I want to be my wife?
Gosh, that takes gender stretching to a whole new level. :D

Good one. But, from a girlfriend to a potential victim, it does make sense. Still, the phrasing doesn't sound Vietnamese to me.

is "you want to be my wife".   Just for a simple laugh.  My wife loved it when I used to say that to her.  Now we are married, hong can.  Now it is something like this, "den day vo yeu, boi vi em dep moin chet loin."  Gets her crazy every time, guaranteed.  :)   And a bonus, when I say it around her friends at work, they all sigh with a smile.

"moin chet loin"? Perhaps you meant to say "muốn chết luôn", a colloquial saying for "so much" -- literal translation: "want to die".

As to your sentence, "Come here, beloved wife, because you're so beautiful", the added part of "bởi vì" ("because") is strange since it doesn't serve as a sentence connector -- there isn't a cause and effect.

yes your right, muon chet luon. 

the boi vi, it is my added English twist to the phrase, but she loves it!

Hello Grahan,

You can join our Vietnamese Speaking club every Sunday at 18h30 at High Land Coffee (2nd Floor)- 181 Ham Nghi , District 1 (Opposite to Ben Thanh market). We have some Vietnamese volunteers to help foreigners to practice Vietnamese.

I strongly recommend posters take a careful look at the schools and how they treat their customers.
One of the schools has been advertising here using false identities, that being backed up with someone claiming to be a friend of Americans and telling the world how much they like the place.
I see it this way, if they treat their customers as idiots, it's a bad idea to use them.

Its good idea to join some kind of gathering to learn Vietnamese. Reason is that there are many dialects and nuances spoken by Vietnamese people - as there are in most countries. However the differences are more evident in Saigon as more and more businesses are employing people from the "countryside" as cheap labour i hotels restaurants and shops.

My MiL, bless her, comes from Bao Loc and will often speak in a local dialect that even local people here find impenetrable.

As an example: Ho Chi Minh is often pronounced as Ho Chee Munh. Also the word. no, "Khong", which most interpreters will tell you is pronounced "Kom" (well, mine did).But many people, my wife included, pronounce it as Khomn, with their cheeks puffed out and the "n" barely discernible.

eodmatt wrote:

But many people, my wife included, pronounce it as Khomn, with their cheeks puffed out and the "n" barely discernible.

Your wife's pronunciation is absolutely correct, but the "m" that you think you hear doesn't exist. The "kh" is a voiceless fricative consonant and the "ng" (ending, which is different from "ng" that is at the beginning of a word such as Nguyen) is a bilabial consonant.

In other words, "khong" is a combination of "kh" and "ong", in which "kh" comes from the back of the larynx box and "ong" /oŋ/ is bilabial (staying within the touching -- not pressing -- of both lips.)

The puffed out cheeks are just an exaggerated gesture to convey the speaker's emotional nuance. Normally, one doesn't need any facial muscle to pronounce the word "khong" -- the reason it's much easier for Vietnamese mothers to say no to their children than their Western counterparts (my theory.)

Ciambella wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

But many people, my wife included, pronounce it as Khomn, with their cheeks puffed out and the "n" barely discernible.

Your wife's pronunciation is absolutely correct, but the "m" that you think you hear doesn't exist. The "kh" is a voiceless fricative consonant and the "ng" (ending, which is different from "ng" that is at the beginning of a word such as Nguyen) is a bilabial consonant.

In other words, "khong" is a combination of "kh" and "ong", in which "kh" comes from the back of the larynx box and "ong" /oŋ/ is bilabial (staying within the touching -- not pressing -- of both lips.)

The puffed out cheeks are just an exaggerated gesture to convey the speaker's emotional nuance. Normally, one doesn't need any facial muscle to pronounce the word "khong" -- the reason it's much easier for Vietnamese mothers to say no to their children than their Western counterparts (my theory.)

I am now in awe of your ability to describe the language of Vietnam in an encrypted form. I rest my case!   ;)

Thank you, Matt.

BTW, the most difficult dialect to understand is Quang Nam. I don't think I would have any problem with your MiL's Bao Loc dialect as I did in conversations with Quang Nam natives.

Ciambella wrote:

Thank you, Matt.

BTW, the most difficult dialect to understand is Quang Nam. I don't think I would have any problem with your MiL's Bao Loc dialect as I did in conversations with Quang Nam natives.

I don't doubt it! My wife speaks perfectly enunciated Vietnamese but sometimes to me it sounds like machine gun fire  :D

My wife is from Da Nang (pretty close to Quang Nam), she's a VIetnamese teacher for foreigners, mostly Australians, Americans and New Zealanders via skype but she also teaches at her school in Da nang.   She believes the most difficult accent which is a shared belief of people across the country is Nghe an.   So I make a joke when Vietnamese people cant' understand me I say.  Neu Anh Matt noi giong nghe anh thi em/anh/chi khong hieu Anh duoc  - it always gets a laugh.