How to make friends in Malta

Hello,

I arrived in Malta some months ago but I haven't met lot of people.
If somebody is interested to meet a nice Belgian girl, let me know ^^

Hello Belgian girl,
I am quite free after work. And during the Christmas period I will have around 10 days off. We could meet if you want.
Today I met an Sliema13. And we are planning to go to Valletta on Christmas eve for a concert by the the Malta Police Force band. Afterwards we might go for a coffee. Would you like to come?
Regards,
Charlo

Yes, I will! I need to know at what time?

Hi Rushie,
I arrived here two days ago (female from Canada). I'm in Sliema. I love going for long walks and basically doing anything outdoors so let's meet up!

The Christmas concert that the Malta Police Force Band holds every year will take place on Christmas Eve, at 6:00pm at Pjazza Teatru Rjal. Entrance is free, although donations to the Community Chest Fund would be greatly appreciated.
Who would like to join me?
Charlo

Hi, I sent you an email! Let meet tomorrow.

Sliema13 wrote:

Hi, I sent you an email! Let meet tomorrow.

To who did you send the email?

To Nange

Hi  I am thinking of moving to Malta.  Can you please give me any suggestion and how you like it and how is medical care and is Malta safe to live.

My Name is Manu and my e mail is [email protected]    Thanks for your assistance.

I speak Spanish

Rushie wrote:

Hello,

If you want to meet I'm free

btw Dragonball rules

Hello. Myself my partner and two children ages 10 and 11 are looking into moving to Malta later on in the year because my partner has been offered a job out there. I'm worried about not having any friends out there and also the children making new friends? Also need some advice regarding schools  for the children, and do they do sats on malta. We will be looking to live in sleima.
Xx :-)

Hi Samantha
We are also a family of four living in the uk. Our children are 11 years old so at moment are in year 6 and will do sats in May and should start high school in sept but hopefully will be moved by then.
Am sure read somewhere they do exams at end of primary so think must be same sort of thing. 
What year are your 10 and 11 year olds in now year 5 and 6 or year 6 and secondary.

We have been searching net for schools and have read good reviews on some schools main ones that keep popping up are San Anton and San Andrea on this forum which are next door to each other. 
Out biggest worry was that are kids would be separated in school as some are single sex. But someone on here said they have started In Sept 14 having the first year of secondary mixed sex classes now. Are your children same sex or one of each.

If you find our about any other schools will you share info on here please. 

Thanks Faye.

Hi Faye, thanks for your message :-).
My daughter is 11 and currently in year 6 and my son is 10 next week and in year 5. Do you have one of each too? Where are you looking to move to in malta? I need to find a primary for my son to go into year 6 and high school for my daughter to start in year 7.  Will keep you informed on what I find.
Thanks Samantha x

Hi Samantha

Yes we have boy and girl twins they do have their own group of friends but are very close and don't really like idea of them being split up as they have always been in same class and most of time even sat on same table in school.  Think on top of such a big Move  would have a negative impact on them. But they are just starting to mix the first year so hopefully should be no reason why can't be together.

Not sure on area yet but would like to be close to sleima.
Faye.

Oh bless them, hopefully there won't be a problem if they are starting to mix them. Yes sleima is where we are looking at too as it Is where my partners job will be near to. I haven't yet found work but that's something I can look into once out there. Our main priority is the children's schools and I don't know where to start, but luckily they are both excited and happy about the move.
X

Hi Samantha
Yes school are our main focus as well just want them to be happy and welcomed into the school community. We haven't even got any jobs lined up haha must be mad. 
Twins are not impressed at all but unfortunately the area we are in now is changing quite dramatically with regards to crime, kids behaviour etc really scares me thought of them growing up around here.

Hopefully will all workout out and will get over there later this year or by early 2016. Will go for a trip over to get feel of the areas etc. 
Faye.x

Hi Faye.
I was looking into crime rates over in Malta and seems much better!! I hope it all works out for you. We should keep in touch as I'm hoping to be over there and settled ready for the kids to start the new school year in September, and with them being the same ages of yours and a boy and a girl it would be a great opportunity to know someone over there.  Will keep you posted with any information I find regarding schools.  X

Hi Samantha
That would be great mine are both bit shy especially my daughter so I do worry how they will cope. But they are both really good and have great sense of humour and pick up things quickly so hopefully will be fine. the schools being mixed should be big help to them.
Are first intention was to get over there in the summer break as they have 12 weeks instead of our 6 to get them really settled and used to area etc.
however I am just started new course which have to finish as can't continue it if move out of my area and have to pay money for it if not completed which I don't want to do. I have contacted a kindergarten over in Malta as well to see about qualifications etc who did say if had my level 5 would be better so think makes sense to complete it here.
We also need to try find somewhere which will let is bring our dog I know some do but we are aware that this will limit us and make it harder to find somewhere.
Faye.x

Samantha oreilly wrote:

Hi Faye, thanks for your message :-).
My daughter is 11 and currently in year 6 and my son is 10 next week and in year 5. Do you have one of each too? Where are you looking to move to in malta? I need to find a primary for my son to go into year 6 and high school for my daughter to start in year 7.  Will keep you informed on what I find.
Thanks Samantha x

Hi Samantha, if your daughter is already 11 and born in 2003 she will already be in secondary school here in Malta, my daughter was 11 last November and she started secondary school last September, if she goes to state school and you live in Sliema she will go to Pembroke secondary where my daughter goes, it's a great school we only moved to Malta last August and she is very happy there. Your son wouldn't be in year 5 here he would be in year 6, my other daughter turned 9 in December she is in year 5, as in Malta they work on the calendar yeat not sept to sept birthdays like the U.K.
If you need any more info just ask, as I have 3 all in state school and have gone through the process, if you're looking for private school I can't help much with that but there's another lady on the forum who has a son in private so I'm sure she would be helpful.
Kelly

Hi Kelly, thank you for your message. Oh I didn't realise this was the case. My daughter was born December 2003 and my son Jan 2005 so would that mean although there is only 13 months between them , they would be two school years apart? So I would be looking for Daughter to begin year 8 in high school and my son year 6 in primary, is that right for this coming September? What's the best school to look at for my son do you think? We will be looking to live in Sleima. Is it just the private schools that teach in English?
Thanks for you help.
Samantha. X

Yes right your daughter she would be form 2 same as mine Your son would be year 6 in September the same as my other daughter as shes 2005 too. They do sometimes have older or younger kids in the years depending if they think the child would benefit from moving up it down a year. School starts back in September around the 23rd
If you lived in sliema your daughter would be in the catchment for Santa Clara college so she would be in Pembroke secondary if she went to state school, if you chose private they can go wherever you want
It's a huge school but it's good, my daughter has only been there since September but she's happy, there are lots of other British kids there and lots of other nationalities as well as Maltese, they are taught all lessons in English apart from social studies, and history which are in Maltese, they also have Maltese for foreigners classes for the foreign kids. And the teacher is lovely. English is very widely spoken at the school although kids are encouraged to speak Maltese and they do have assembly in the morning in Maltese.
Where your son would go would depend on where you live, and also where spaces are available he would still be in Santa clara college ( the areas are grouped together in colleges with a couple of secondary schools and a few primaries belonging to the same college) Sliema has a primary school. we live in Swieqi so my daughter goes to Pembroke primary, which I have found good, it's one of the newest state primary schools in Malta and again is very multi national, my daughter loves it there and her teacher is very good, the state schools also offer after school care it's called Klabb 3-16 and is after school club if you work ( or even if you don't you can use it) they can stay till anytime up to 6pm, they do their homework and play etc, and the cost is 80c per hour, my youngest goes to that to, they also offer this in the school hols so it's good if you work.
I don't really know much about private schools we did look into it but decided to give state a go and so far it's all been good.
All the schools in the Sliema area have a lot of foreigners so he wouldn't be the only one.

Oh that's great about the after school club, and how cheap too. Thank you so much for all the information. Would be happy for them to go to state school but was worried that they would get behind because of not being able to talk or understand Maltese. So if My daughter went to Pembroke would my son be able to go to that school the following year? Also is it easy to get to from Sleima. Thanks Samantha 😊 x

Yes your son would go to Pembroke secondary too, the state schools provide a free school bus service to students at primary and secondary so getting there and back isn't a problem.

Hello everyone. I've actually been in Malta for some time, with my partner who works here, but haven't got round to knowing anyone as I'm not working and have been studying most of my time. It's time I started getting out of the house during the day and I'm wondering if there are any daytime groups that meet up? Or maybe suggestions for where I can do some volunteering?

I'm in the Gzira area but it's a small island so nothing really that far away!

Hey.
Am new in the forum. Have recently started to visit Marsaxlokk regularly on a cargo vessel route. Don't know anyone in town. Would like to join any group sightseeing or anyone ready to grab a drink sometime. 👍

Hello everyone :)
I'm Mattia, male 32 from Italy, and I recently moved to Malta (Pietà area) aswell.
After my first month in here, and passed the initial excitement of the new adventure, I noticed I'd love to make some new friends :P
In April my wife and my dog will reach me, so if anyone wants to meet up for a drink or activities, he/she/they can count on me! Basically during the day I work, but I'm free on the evenings and on the weekend.

Ciao!
Mat.

PS: yes, I know there are a lot of Italians, but I do prefer to meet up with people of different cultures and countries, to improve my english.

hola soy carmen,soy italiana, he llegado a malta desde pocos dias y no hablo muy bien ingles pues estoy buscando gente para conocerla y tal vez para compartir un pizo. Si te interesa, contestame!

hola soy carmen , tengo veinte anos, soy en malta desde pocos dias, me interesa conocer gente y hablo bastante en espanol, si te interesa podemos encontrarnos!

carmentambone wrote:

hola soy carmen , tengo veinte anos, soy en malta desde pocos dias, me interesa conocer gente y hablo bastante en espanol, si te interesa podemos encontrarnos!

English please as this is an Anglophone forum.
Thank you.

Hi!  I arrived 6 days ago.
I would like to make friends who practice english and doing things.  I am a boy and live in gzira.
Regards.
777 64 624.
My WhatsApp is 0034 628 007 141

Hi carmen.  I speak spanish. If you want, we can meet us.
Regards

stumpy wrote:
carmentambone wrote:

English please as this is an Anglophone forum.
Thank you.

Hi carmen.  I also speak spanish. If you want we can meet up.
Regards

Rushie wrote:

Hello,

Hi!  I am interested in meeting people.
I landed in the island 6 days ago
0034 628 007 141 (WhatsApp number)

Hi I am in the process of moving to Malta. I am also from Leeds and have a 7 year old son! I would love to make contact with your friend :)

Hello, I would like to meet a nice Belgian girl if you're still in Malta! =) I speak a little French too!

carmentambone wrote:

hola soy carmen,soy italiana, he llegado a malta desde pocos dias y no hablo muy bien ingles pues estoy buscando gente para conocerla y tal vez para compartir un pizo. Si te interesa, contestame!

Hello Carmen! I speak Spanish, we can meet!
I'll translate this exact sentence to Spanish to make sure you understood it!
¡Hola Carmen! ¡Yo hablo español, podemos reunirnos!

Rushie wrote:

Hello,

Hello, I would like to meet a nice Belgian girl if you're still in Malta! =) I speak a little French too!

PS. Dragon ball rocks!

New to Malta and am looking for new friends. I find it pretty hard to meet people here as well.

I love making new friends and have conversations about anything.

If interested please reply or send me a message. Looking forward to meet you!

Hi everyone, I'm 33 female just moved to Malta and would love to meet some people in the same situation. Coffee, lunch drinks, sport, I'm in the buggiba area !
Thanks

Hello everyone :)
I'm Doga,, and I recently moved to Malta as well.
I'd love to make some new friends  lets meet :)