Visa advice much needed please!

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen and I started contract with a school here in KL at the end of October 2016. I was granted my employment pass at the start of December. However, the school is terrible and I've found out that the last three teachers all quit.....I really need to leave as soon as possible, as life is pretty miserable at present...However, I've signed a long-term tenancy agreement, and I really can't afford to relocate after using all my savings to get here...I planned on this all working out and I stupidly didn't have a back-up plan if the job didn't work out.
Anyway, what I really need to know is:
1) If I leave the school can I cancel the employment pass, or would the school have to do this?
2) When the employment pass is cancelled do I have to leave the country immediately, or is there any way I can stay on? Can I switch to being on a 90 social pass, or won't they allow this?
3) If I leave the country and then try to get back in for the 90 days visa free (so I can try and find another job) am I likely to face problems at the border, due to the history of an employment pass?
4) Is there any kind of business visa I can apply for if I want to be a self-employed teacher here, rather than working at a school?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Patrick

Can anyone suggest who I should contact for advice? I can't find any clear information online about where I stand and what my options are.

Many thanks

Hi, we can advice you about this, so can you give us your number so any case we can call you?

Greetings,

contact me on xxx
regards,
dyllon

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello patrick,

Petty you brother. You should have done some background check on the school before you decided to joined them. However, as you are already in this situation, I can state the following based on my staying experience in Malaysia.

1. The cancellation is done by your employer.

2. Upon cancellation, you can ask the school to give you an special pass (max. Of 1 month). Within this period you prepare yourself to leave the country. The period of special pass normally depends on your return ticket date eg. if we assume you cancel your visa on 10th of March and your return ticket is on 20th of March, then the special pass is given for 10 to 11 days i.e untill 20th or 21st March.

3. Based on my knowledge there is no employment pass which you can hold on your own. But you can look for the following independent visa options: Residence Pass-Talent, MM2H,  Permenant Residence. The information related to those type of visas are accessible via immigration website and many other online platforms.

Laslty, if you cancel your visa and you want to re-enter Malaysia on a social visit, I assume you won't have a problem as long as you are not black listed and you fulfill the visa requirements for a social visit.

Personally, I advice you to keep your current job and look for another option. When you are assure about the second job option, you can shift with less hassle.

I hope those information find you well.

I think Muaid said it well.

Yes, the school has to do the cancelling and yes you are free to re-enter on 90-day visas. You cant work during those times but you can interview for jobs and set up another one and start the work pass situation all over again. You cant start a company because you have no capital and cant afford the process.

Can you explain your problems with the school?  Try to hang on and work things out with your current school while you figure out your next move.

Please follow Muaid:- Personally, I advice you to keep your current job and look for another option. When you are assure about the second job option, you can shift with less hassle.

Patrick, dont fret about why others quit, explain the problem with the school and lets see if there is a solution. But once you leave you start the visa clocks and that limits your choices even right down to zero.