Schools in Romania

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know what the schooling is like generally in Romania?  My boys go to school here in the UK.  Also well worried about the language barrier.  Husband is Romanian but our children and I only speak English. 

Any advice would be great thanks.

There is a topic which already addresses this in part:

Studying in Romania.

Granted, that topic is geared more towards post-secondary education, some comments will still apply for the younger kids.

Unless you plan to opt for an expensive international school which will offer English, your kids will need to learn Romanian, which they probably should do anyway as it's part of their ancestry :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Many thanks for your reply romanianc,

My eldest son will be starting secondary school in September . Unfortunately my husband hasn't taught them the romanian language.  I'm sure though that we will learn quickly it's me that will take a lot more time!

I'll have a look at the link that you've given.  I'd like to move to Cluj believe that the universities are good there.

Regards

By and large the schools in Romania are typical of most schools in most countries ... There are good ones, there are very good ones but there are also a few not so good ones.

I can only speak for my sons school here in Bucharest, Scoala 5. Our son is currently in the 6th grade and has been at the school since the beginning, class 0. The teachers are good, always willing to talk, and his colleagues are in the main very polite and respectful and my wife, who is Romanian, and I are very pleased with the school.

Hope this helps

Hi
Myself and my family are moving to Timisoara in July.

We are from the UK, and as yet none Romanian speaking. We Visited the William Shakespeare school last week and our children aged 10 & 8 will be starting in September.

There is an expectant for them to learn Romanian, however they will be assisted and do have several English native speaking teachers. I feel less stressed about moving now I have visited the school but know that my children will have a lot of work to do.

My children will be basically redoing this last year as the 5th grade may be too much for a non Romanian speaker.

I am new to all this but happy to assist if I can.

Best Wishes

Ellen