Becoming a GP In Vancouver, B.C.

Hi, I am currently trying to find out what you have to do to become a GP in Vancouver or somewhere near that in B.C. - I am a GP with 7 1/2 years experience in the UK including the usual exams DFFP / DRCOG / MRCGP / LoC SDI, LoC IUT having graduated in 1998. When I first tried looking into the possibility of transferring to a GP post in Canada last year, it looked as though you had to re-do your entire training before being able to work as a GP in Canada!!

Have I read this right or wrong does someone know? Also is there anyway of finding out if my husband would be denied entry if being able to be a GP in Canada could become a serious consideration - he has dilated Cardiomyopathy and so is on lifelong tablets but has never ever been symptomatic with it.

If anyone has any answers to the above I would be truly grateful!
thank you :D

Hi fireworx6, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

Good luck
Christine

I'm not sure about the health enquiry, but re: qualifications, Canada is annoyingly protectionistic about any kind of qualification and employment. Every professional needs to convert/re-qualify before continuing work in their chosen field. It takes time and money. Your best source of advice is the professional organisation within BC or Canada - they will have advice on what is required before you can practice again.